(Topic ID: 103630)

Buck Rogers HELP!!!! System 1's are Thinkers!

By Redknight87

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello all,

I am a new member here and this is my first post. I have been a member of klov for a few years now and have recently sold off most of my video game collection to consentrate more on pinballs.

Here is what has been done to buck so far by me. I have installed a new xpin power supply in the back box. I have removed the battery from the mpu and added a remote one. I have done a few of the ground modifications. All fuses are good and the correct size, all coils check good, the edge connectors are not new, but are making good contact. I have inspected every one of them. I plan to re pin them, but not yet.

Here is what its doing. When the game is turned on I get general illumination, 5 seconds later the tilt and game over relays engauge and then disengauge, but I get no displays and it seems like the game does not boot. I dont think it was booting because if I hit start, or add a credit nothing happens. There is one bulb blinking behind "high score to date" all the others are lit solid. If the game has been powered up for a minute or two I think its in attract mode because some sounds will go off then stop. I checked the x pin power supply and it is not getting the +60v needed to power the displays. I then plunged below the play field and tested the bridge rectifiers. The one on the left (cpu lamp bridge) tested .45 across all 3 connections. I had set my meter to diode setting and put my red lead on the ground and used the black lead to test the other 3 connections. I then tested the other one (Coil bridge) the same way. There was only one lead that read weaker than the rest. Two of them read .45, the weak one read .14. Does this mean I have found the problem? I have not tested the small transformer voltages yet, because I didnt know what the voltages were supposed to be. Pinrepair.com has realy helped me in the disagnosing of this machine but I figured I would reach out here and see if I can get any other directions to go.

Thank you in advance for the help,

Austin

P.S. If needed I can provie pictures and a short video of what the machine is doing.

#2 9 years ago

i've brought a few buck rogers back from total death. Wish I would have kept one...

Re-pin/replace all the connectors in the game, save maybe the display connectors.
Then we can talk.

#3 9 years ago

Do you think the rectifier in the bottom is bad since the one leg read weak?

There was no acid damage on the mpu or edge connectors, and the pins appear to be in good shape and making good connections. Like I said I am not getting the 60V to the powersupply which comes from the bottom of the cabinet. I dont feel like it has anything to do with the connectors at this point.

#4 9 years ago

.14v reading across a diode is a bad test. Replace it.

#5 9 years ago

I will pick one up this weekend and report back.

Thank you!

#6 9 years ago

UPDATE: Well the bridge was not the main issue. After I replaced it I was still not getting the proper voltages at the harness a2j3. I then checked the voltages coming out of the small transformer. All voltages were correct except the 69vac. Line taps #8 and 9 off the mall transformer are only reading 30vac. I used the transformers ground to check these voltages. At this point I have a feeling the windings in the small transformer for taps 8 and 9 are bad.

Do you guys think I'm on the right track?

#7 9 years ago

I don't think there is a fuse between the small transformer and whatever rectifies the ac which is dumb as hell. Bridge shorts and the transformer acts as a fuse.

#8 9 years ago

There is not from the factory but you better believe there will be once I replace the damn transformer. Anyone know where I could get one? :/

#9 9 years ago

That may be tricky. You'll have to find someone parting one out, ebay sometimes, or find someone that can rewind it for you. Otherwise, you'll pay a lot for one. That's why in those immaculate restorations you see the old cruded up transformer in there still. There are no modern equivalents being made, and there are a lot of custom winding taps that would make doing so a PITA. I got quotes to redo my SYS9 main transformer of $300, another was like $275. Ended up finding a guy parting out a Space Shuttle on eBay and got it for about $40 instead. Vid gets them rewound cheaply somehow. Then again, that's Vid.

First thing I did on my Comet was install the extra fuses on the side of the back box for the replacement transformer. All of $5 in parts.

#10 9 years ago

Wow, who quoted you that to rewind a transformer?! That seems outrageous to me!

Thankfully I found a friend here locally that is selling me an entire Buck Rogers lower cabinet working minus the sound board. It would be nice to have some spare play field parts. Sounds like God herd my prayers. lol.

Thank you to all of you that have helped me with this issue. I will post back once I get the old "new" power board in.

#11 9 years ago

Your small transformer may have fried if you plugged the lower power supply connector in upside down.
Therr is a warning sticker on it that always falls off. And its not keyed.
i did just this with my first sys 1 about 10 years ago.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Wow, who quoted you that to rewind a transformer?! That seems outrageous to me!
Thankfully I found a friend here locally that is selling me an entire Buck Rogers lower cabinet working minus the sound board. It would be nice to have some spare play field parts. Sounds like God herd my prayers. lol.
Thank you to all of you that have helped me with this issue. I will post back once I get the old "new" power board in.

A few places I found online quoted me that. I don't know anyone locally that does this stuff.

#13 9 years ago

One work around is if you have just one winding that is bad, you can always install another transformer to supply the power for that tap that has the correct voltage and amperage.

#14 9 years ago

The Connector was plugged in properly. My sticker is still attached telling me which direction to install it. I can't believe someone quoted that. That is just crazy imo. I wish I could say that I can work around that one bad winding but I cant find a transformer that will take 120v in and output 69v. :/

I will pick up the other "parts" cab hopefully this weekend and swap the transformers and install the fuses immediately. I will report back once this is finished!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buck-rogers-help-system-1s-are-thinkers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.