• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by heatwave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Thought I had this issue fixed on my friends game:

Spinner would move the roving yellow light but not score points or award number....

- replaced a missing contact on a switch on the "P" Spinner Relay
- Noticed that the armature plate on the relay barely moves when energized by activating the spinner switch
- Replaced the spring on the relay and that worked (for about one day)

When I manually activate the switch the game scores and awards the spin number. I tried adjusting the relay switches to account for the lack of much movement (I'm talking 1mm when activated) of the relay but when I get it to 'work', the contacts are so close that sometimes the 100pt relay stays on.

I figured there has to be some switch upstream that is not making good contact but I can't figure it out. (I forgot to pick up the guys schematics last night, I can get them later and try to scan in the path).

Really frustrating as my friend relies on me as his pinball mechanic!

Thanks for any help

#2 4 years ago

Just a thought, is the armature plate binding slightly in a worn spot on the fulcrum? When you put the new spring on, you may have set it just right, as the day went on it settled back in to a worn spot not allowing it to move freely.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Noticed that the armature plate on the relay barely moves

There should be more than 1mm of travel on the armature plate. They have a short throw, but not that short.

Do you have a picture of it?

#4 4 years ago

Are the switch stack screws too long and interfering with the armature plate?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

Just a thought, is the armature plate binding slightly in a worn spot on the fulcrum? When you put the new spring on, you may have set it just right, as the day went on it settled back in to a worn spot not allowing it to move freely.

I can check later this week. If it is worn, can I switch the fulcrum with one from another relay that doesn't get this much "action" (say the tilt relay, etc.)?

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Do you have a picture of it?

I'll see if my friend can send me one, otherwise I will be back over there towards the end of the week. I'll also check on the stack screws.

Thanks

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

I can check later this week. If it is worn, can I switch the fulcrum with one from another relay that doesn't get this much "action" (say the tilt relay, etc.)?

Very possible. You would have to compare similarities/differences between the two. Maybe get away with just the armature plate, if in fact that is the problem.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

Very possible. You would have to compare similarities/differences between the two. Maybe get away with just the armature plate, if in fact that is the problem.

yup...

and if you need one, drop a post in the em parts wanted thread, i would imagine one of us can come up with something for you...

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

Fixed!

Turns out when I soldered on the missing contact point on the "P" relay, I used too much solder. It 'dripped' down the switch blade and when the armature engaged the now-thicker blade became wedged into the armature disrupting the free movement.

While frustrating (mainly because it was my fault!), this is what I like about working on EM's - most problems can be observed if you stare at it long enough! Thanks for all the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
675 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sycamore, IL
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Peoria, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
1,188 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside