Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by JWS64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mysticled4.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizzardz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

While I tend to be an old school pin guy (EMs and early SS), I have been looking at some newer pins. A couple that have peaked my interest also report bubbling mylar. I’m assuming I could do something to mitigate the bubbling (pin poke and heat to reaffix, etc) until such time as I decide to strip the pf. However, the prospect of having to strip a complete pf of mylar – even if I kick the can down the road a bit – is something I’d at least need to plan for.

While each prospect would also likely need to be otherwise shopped to the extent of replacing rubber and perhaps plastics (I’d likely do a none pf strip shop anyways), my concern is how much of a hit on price would be appropriate for “minor” mylar bubbling. The price guide on pinside is right at the asking price in each case, but I’m not sure what sort of condition is associated with the price guide (i.e., price guide = avg condition, great condition, etc).

I’m assuming the mylar covering the entire pf is something done at the factory (EATPM and WW in this case). How common is it for bubbling, and what is/are the common causes? Is there any expectation that a repair to bubbling mylar (whether cut and replace, or poke and heat) would be an “acceptable” repair in that it wouldn’t look like cr@p or affect play?

#11 12 years ago

I guess this begs the question as to which pf have diamond plate? Do all machines after a certain time have dp, or was it like a distributor option (dp, mylar, or both)?

It sounds like I don't necessarily want to run from any machine with bubbling mylar field...but need to consider it due for a peel in the short term.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizzardz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bubbling-mylar-on-purchase-prospects?tu=wizzardz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.