8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by JWS64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mysticled4.jpg

#1 8 years ago

While I tend to be an old school pin guy (EMs and early SS), I have been looking at some newer pins. A couple that have peaked my interest also report bubbling mylar. I’m assuming I could do something to mitigate the bubbling (pin poke and heat to reaffix, etc) until such time as I decide to strip the pf. However, the prospect of having to strip a complete pf of mylar – even if I kick the can down the road a bit – is something I’d at least need to plan for.

While each prospect would also likely need to be otherwise shopped to the extent of replacing rubber and perhaps plastics (I’d likely do a none pf strip shop anyways), my concern is how much of a hit on price would be appropriate for “minor” mylar bubbling. The price guide on pinside is right at the asking price in each case, but I’m not sure what sort of condition is associated with the price guide (i.e., price guide = avg condition, great condition, etc).

I’m assuming the mylar covering the entire pf is something done at the factory (EATPM and WW in this case). How common is it for bubbling, and what is/are the common causes? Is there any expectation that a repair to bubbling mylar (whether cut and replace, or poke and heat) would be an “acceptable” repair in that it wouldn’t look like cr@p or affect play?

#2 8 years ago

Thats one tough question to answer wizzardz
    It would have to be case by case example and if the seller is willing to see your point of view?
    I'm sure you may get the old - take it or leave it from the seller as well as a price jump the next day if it's for sale on line like C-List.
    It's the chance you take a few dollars off or a door slammed in your face

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

I’m assuming I could do something to mitigate the bubbling (pin poke and heat to reaffix, etc)

Don't assume that you can easily repair it. The bubbling is normally because the layer of glue has either lost contact with the mylar or with the play field and re-sticking it isn't something that I have heard of.
    This problem often happens on painted play fields (pre-diamond coat) because of heat from the lamps. Some times it's best to either accept it or remove the mylar and risk damaging the play field. It may also be a symptom or raised inserts due to the heat and age.

Quoted from wizzardz:

How common is it for bubbling, and what is/are the common causes?

Very common in games before and including Funhouse and BOP.
    You could view it's presence as a good thing as many of these games would be worn down to the wood if it wasn't for the presence of the mylar. If you can remove it the playfield is often like new below. Having had a disaster myself (after several previous successes) I wouldn't remove it unless it was pretty bad.

#4 8 years ago

From what I've seen, bubbling Mylar on System 11 playfields like Elvira is pretty common. My BOP has it as does my Whirlwind. On BOP, there are no lifted inserts, just the unstuck Mylar in places. Whirlwind has some lifted inserts in addition to some general bubbling. Not much you can do about it as others have said because the glue isn't good any more. So you either live with it, or bite the bullet and remove the Mylar and be ready for everything that comes along with doing that.

#5 8 years ago

I used to be afraid to pull the mylar, but now its just part of refurbing a pin to me. Practice on some less valuable games first, but once you do it a few times its pretty easy.

#6 8 years ago

If there's one thing I do know, it is this...I will never buy and own a pin that
    has mylar on it, and will never go near a pin needing mylar removed from it.

I don't do mylar.

#7 8 years ago

I like removing it and on games that the playfield is nice underneath. Remove, clean, touch up, new insert decals if needed and clearcoat. Makes them look really nice.

#8 8 years ago

Whole playfield mylared in 1979... I think it does it's job when the pin is taken care of.. enough said.

mysticled4.jpg

#9 8 years ago

If the playfield is diamond coated then removing the mylar shouldn't be an issue. Removing it from painted PFs can possibly cause more damage than it is worth.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from JWS64:

If there's one thing I do know, it is this...I will never buy and own a pin that
    has mylar on it, and will never go near a pin needing mylar removed from it.

I don't do mylar.

Have to disagree with you on this one.....If the inserts arent raised & the mylar was factory then after you remove it you will have almost a brand new playing surface. Ive removed mylar may times & was blown away with how nice the play field was under the mylar.

#11 8 years ago

I guess this begs the question as to which pf have diamond plate? Do all machines after a certain time have dp, or was it like a distributor option (dp, mylar, or both)?

It sounds like I don't necessarily want to run from any machine with bubbling mylar field...but need to consider it due for a peel in the short term.

#12 8 years ago

DP playfields are standard on williams machines from t2 on. Before t2 there were some machine which had short runs of DP and another process (name escapes me). For example there are a small number of diners and riverboats with dp playfields.

As for pulling mylar it depends on the game. The freeze spray method works best but then you have to get all the glue off the pf. I do not like doing sega playfields as the last one I did the mylar pulled off inserts even with the freeze spray.

#13 8 years ago

This article gives a history of playfield clearcoating (about 2/3 down the page, What is Diamond Plate on a playfield):

http://www.flippers.be/pinball_playfields.html

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Have to disagree with you on this one.....If the inserts arent raised & the mylar was factory then after you remove it you will have almost a brand new playing surface. Ive removed mylar may times & was blown away with how nice the play field was under the mylar.

It's ok if you have a different opinion than mine. My personal preference is no mylar. Removing it, and having damage underneath is something I'd rather not to have to deal with.

IF it was a pin as nice as Mystic's, and it was a pin that was on my "must buy/must have" list I'm sure I'd be looking over the playfield very closely IF I was going to buy it on the spot.

Different strokes for different folks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 9.99
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Magazines/books
    The Flipper Room
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside