Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Manic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d9fb24339766d3a622ea2021ea56c5155a3d3f25.png (resized).jpg
    BCFDFBAD-857E-4C43-901D-66ED77031C0B (resized).png
    48A3DD69-456E-4AD9-979C-8AF00D8C90BA (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Any fixes on how to get these bubbles out?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    48A3DD69-456E-4AD9-979C-8AF00D8C90BA (resized).jpeg48A3DD69-456E-4AD9-979C-8AF00D8C90BA (resized).jpeg

BCFDFBAD-857E-4C43-901D-66ED77031C0B (resized).pngBCFDFBAD-857E-4C43-901D-66ED77031C0B (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

Hey John what game?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Johncare07:

Probably not, it got too hot.

Quoted from DK:

And I don’t see the bubbles

See picture with them outlined.

LTG : )

d9fb24339766d3a622ea2021ea56c5155a3d3f25.png (resized).jpgd9fb24339766d3a622ea2021ea56c5155a3d3f25.png (resized).jpg
    #4 4 years ago

The ramp got to hot. Unfortunately I don't know if the bubbles will be possible to remove.

#5 4 years ago

nope, you're screwed once that happens.

#6 4 years ago

Sorry thats toast now sadly. Flame polishing is a tricky process. If done correctly the result is excellent. For me, after Extreme cleaning just use Very light sweeps of heat while holding your hand on the back of the ramp. If you feel the back side getting warm you are almost to far. Very slowly done this can be great. To fast and you have bubbly melted ramps.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Johncare07:

Thanks for any thoughts.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

This is your educational fail. You had the flame too close or lingered too long on the area. Once you bubble, it's nothing but trouble. You can't go back.

Long fluid movements with the flame 3" or so away is the way to go. NEVER stop moving, and never get too close or heat an area for too long (which will deform the ramp).

#8 4 years ago

Some info about flame polishing here: https://www.flippers.be/flame_polishing.html

I had this too and with 2000 grit sandpaper (and then novus or another polishing product) you can remove the bubbles.
    Don't try to flamepolish it again it will almost instantly create more bubbles.

If the plastic is melted out of shape (but not bubbled) then you can gently put it back in the correct shape
    https://www.flippers.be/repair_flamepolishing.html

#9 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. Eric, it’s Indiana Jones.

#10 4 years ago

You can't spend too much time in one spot. You have to move quickly while holding the ramp at the right angle. As soon as you see it start to clear just a little move away to a different spot and then come back later. Work areas a little at a time. You can't rush polishing. It takes time and patience to keep from melting the ramp. The bubbles are from basically boiling the ramp and aren't going to come out.

#11 4 years ago

best to never flame polish a ramp that you can't get a replacement for brand new somewhere. and never run a flame over a crack or hole, it will open it right up.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

best to never flame polish a ramp that you can't get a replacement for brand new somewhere. and never run a flame over a crack or hole, it will open it right up.

This is great advice often learned the hard way. Speaking from my own experience, of course. Almost considered purchasing another game to get the unobtanium ramp, then parting it out, just to finish my restoration. Great news for me, another fellow Pinsider stepped up and answered my "wanted ad".

#13 4 years ago

It also helps if you can practice first. Before I did my WWater ramps (that came out sweet) I practiced on an old ramp I had laying around.

It's like magic when it works.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bubbles-after-flaming-a-ramp- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.