Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If there were a Bubble Hockey Tournament at you local Pinball event, how would you rate your participation level?”

• I would love it! All in! 33 votes
      67%
    • I would play if it didn't interfere with my Pinball tournament games 3 votes
      6%
    • I would stop by and check it out. Maybe play, maybe not. 4 votes
      8%
    • Would not play, but okay with it being there 5 votes
      10%
    • Not interested. 3 votes
      6%
    • What is Bubble Hockey? 1 vote
      2%

(49 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I worked with the IBHF and the St Louis Blues back in 2006 and 2007 conducting a National Championship for Bubble Hockey. I have been contemplating a revival of these tournaments, and would like to gauge the interest of the Pinball Community.

If there was a small section dedicated to bubble hockey at your local pinball events, tournaments, etc, what would be the likelihood of you stopping by to participate?

I would also like everyone's feedback and thoughts on other tournaments that you may have played in, what you liked and didn't like about them, and any suggestions on how a bubble hockey event could fit in with the Pinball crowd, if at all.

Discuss.....

#2 9 years ago

I'd at least take a look. I've never played it, and I suck at foosball, so not sure I would have any desire to try to participate in anything other than Noobs vs. Noobs.

#3 9 years ago

Bump

#4 9 years ago

I actually run a league with buddies of mine on old Munro table top hockey games, if you were closer I would definitely be interested.

#5 9 years ago

Those Munro tables are fun! My hope is that there is enough interest/acceptance that i would be holding tournaments across the country. Stay tuned....tell your friends.

#6 9 years ago

Bump

#7 9 years ago

Bump....more feedback is welcomed. Looks like some strong interest early on.

#8 9 years ago

I love my super chexx and have loved playing bubble hockey anywhere in the wild since I was a kid. I would eagerly participate in any bubble hockey tournament at a pinball event I was at!

#9 9 years ago

I think it's that bubble hockey as not aged well....I still play with my kids after there hockey games but that's about it....after a game or two it's meh....I go to pinball tourneys to play pinball....but good luck and I hope it works out for you..........Joey

#10 9 years ago

I just ordered two custom painted team sets for mine as well as some new gear boxes. Shipping, why not save some money and go right to the factory myself. ICE is about a 25 minute drive from my house. I know a worker there and every time I go, I take the factory floor tour. The place is amazing with all the games and redemption machines they pump out. The Bubble Hockey section is very impressive. At Christmas time, they need to make about 20 to 30 chexx machines a day to keep up with the orders. They are stock piling right now.image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 9 years ago

^^^.....buddy of mine used to work there.....most fun I had playing BH was at a Sabres game got to go in the suites....playing hockey while watching hockey....good stuff..............Joey

#12 9 years ago

Monday bump

#13 9 years ago

And people complain that there's no innovation in pinball! 31 years later and they're still pretty much identical to the original. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(I've owned an original example since '86!)

As for the tournament scene, you might want to look into doing something at CAX, too. There was a Super Chexx there that there was always a line for and that place is known for having all kinds of tournaments on all kinds of games.

#14 9 years ago

Great feedback so far....very encouraging! CAX looks like a great event...are there any other major events out there that a Bubble Hockey Tournament could add some fun to?

#15 9 years ago

Bump

#16 9 years ago

We had one at one of the tournaments I attended in my league and Truly loved it. I have one at my house and no fun cause you can't play alone. I live the challenge and even one the tournament that day during our pin tournament. I could play bubble hockey all day but hard on the lower back. I think every game room should have one. There just pure fun.

#17 9 years ago

Tuesday bump

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

We had one at one of the tournaments I attended in my league and Truly loved it. I have one at my house and no fun cause you can't play alone. I live the challenge and even one the tournament that day during our pin tournament. I could play bubble hockey all day but hard on the lower back. I think every game room should have one. There just pure fun.

Congrats on a local tournament win! That is awesome to hear. Can you post a pic of your Super Chexx setup at your house? Would love to see it in your gameroom.

#19 9 years ago

Evening bump

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Great feedback so far....very encouraging! CAX looks like a great event...are there any other major events out there that a Bubble Hockey Tournament could add some fun to?

http://replayfx.org/

#21 9 years ago

Bump for more feedback

#22 9 years ago

Bump for start of weekend crowd.....

#23 9 years ago

I used to play in the budwieser bubble boys tournaments went to the finals ! in philly . I used to own two tables ! very rarely do I see these out in public anymore

#24 9 years ago

I would love to play in a tourney. Love my Super Chexx.....Wild vs Red Wings in mine.

#25 9 years ago

I would be in! Have to say that gauging interest on a pinball forum site is probably not the best way to go. I would assume you're also posting on other sites (i.e. arcade, video game etc.)?

1 week later
    #26 9 years ago

New week bump

#27 9 years ago

When I was a kid, I used to play the table top lever hockey game all the time. I could beat anyone in that game. When bubble hockey came out, it was great, but I could never work that game like the table top version. So my affinity is for the good ole original, but Super Chexx hockey is really cool and fun.

That said, I'm not sure how it would translate into a pinball show though. There's so much going on with pinball tournaments and special guest speakers, it might be tough to slip in a bubble hockey tourney too. In the end, if the demand was there...

3 weeks later
    #28 9 years ago

Based on the positive feedback on this thread, I am going to run a Bubble Hockey Tournament at the upcoming Houston Arcade Expo, November 7-8.

I will be bringing two games and the format is going to be very player friendly. The format will be great for experienced players, and noobs, alike. The goal is to get Bubble Hockey out in front of the pinball crowd and to have fun, make new friends. If enough interest could be generated over the weekend, I am envisioning a Houston Area Bubble Hockey League being put together. But it wil depend on feedback and interest at the expo.

open qualifying will be Friday night and Saturday morning. qualifiers will be a "3 person race to three". Here's how it works:
    Three players will be put on a table. players wil do rock/scissors/paper to determine which 2 players play first. Winner stays on, and switches sides. Loser sits out. First player to win 3 games wins the "race to 3".

The top 16 winners of the races to three will qualify for the tournament championship round. Tiebreakers will be goals for, goals for/against differential, coin flip.

Qualifiers will be updated through the qualifying round, and there is no limit to the number of attempts a player can make to qualify for the tournament.

Tournament round will be "best of" series, as shown on the link below, to determine the overall champion.

http://arcadecenter.com/2014%20IBHF%20Houston%20Arcade%20Expo%20Tournament.pdf

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Based on the positive feedback on this thread, I am going to run a Bubble Hockey Tournament at the upcoming Houston Arcade Expo, November 7-8.

Good luck with this and please let us, that cant make it, know how it turns out!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bubble-hockey-tournament-any-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.