20221108_105001 (resized).jpg
20221108_104949 (resized).jpg
20221003_174213 (resized).jpg
20221003_173025 (resized).jpg
20221003_171353 (resized).jpg
20221003_171159 (resized).jpg
20221003_171142 (resized).jpg
20221003_164650 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 4 years ago

Hey guys - just making a repro part announcement. I began making repro MRS' (as found in CC) earlier this year - but only announced on the RFM page (they are handmade and didn't want to get overwhelmed with orders). I wanted to branch out a little more to other pin clubs that utilize this crazy unobtanium switch....the MRS stands for Magnetic Reed Switch - and they are also found in CV, NBAFB, SWEP1, SC and NGG...the went unobtanium almost a dozen years ago or so - so my partner and I at M&M Creations decided to remake them. Our MRS is plug/play - it is lighter, thinner and more sensitive than the original MRS. You can see a pic of the repro MRS solo and in a lineup with an original Williams MRS, a Sega MRS (used in Maverick, Space Jam and SW:Trilogy) and a repro M&M Creations MRS. I'm going to start making some more again (a good winter thing to do) and wanted to get a list going...just PM if interested!

Matt & Dan

MRS-R (resized).jpgMRS-R (resized).jpgmrs_compare (resized).jpgmrs_compare (resized).jpg
1 month later
#60 4 years ago

Working on the next batch of MRS' - PM if interested!

MRS-R (resized).jpgMRS-R (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#65 4 years ago

Why not!? We figured since we have an MRS for Diner, Transporter & Creech's bowl.....might as well make for Cactus......look for an official announcement in a couple days when the proto testing is complete this weekend....(remember, it's blue for testing/visibility...that's not the actual color - unless you like it that way)....

Matt

IMG_05601 (resized).jpgIMG_05601 (resized).jpg
#66 4 years ago

Rigorous testing completed.....success....so another MRS for Cactus Canyon announcement....an MRS for the CC bowl....works smashingly - just like the MRS for Diner, CFTBL & Transporter....but this one has a mechanical connection instead of self-adhesive....we felt the ball swirls around the CC bowl too violently for self-adhesive tape - so a simple bolt (which is supplied with the MRS ) connects it directly to a post - installation takes about 5-10minutes and is largely invisible once installed.....like our other MRS' - this one is $30 plus $4.75 for domestic first-class shipping (insurance and international shipping are extra)....just PM me if interested......

20200208_125947 (resized).jpg20200208_125947 (resized).jpg20200208_103131 (resized).jpg20200208_103131 (resized).jpg
#69 4 years ago

M&M Creations new Cactus Canyon MRS in action! https://vimeo.com/391692544

4 months later
#73 3 years ago

Beginning of July Special @ M&M Creations!!!

We are offering the Cactus Canyon skillshot bowl MRS for $20 (plus shipping) from now until the end of July 8th (my birthday!). Simply PM me. That's $10 off the regular price - sale ends noon (EST) on 7/8.

Thanks!

Matt & Dan

2 weeks later
#82 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

Just a shout out to Sonic at M&M creations. I just installed the CC magnetic reed switch and it works great! Its a nice easy upgrade for anyone who owns CC.

Thanks for the kind words George. If you can, maybe post a pic of your pin....thanks again for your order!

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Picture two won't rotate.

Looks great George!! Thanks again.....just PM me for anyone that wants one or has questions....

Matt

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

May I ask what that is?
Thanks!!

Sure thing...if you look a few posts back you'll see some additional pics and descriptions - but in short...an MRS stands for: magnetic reed switch - it takes the place of the common Cherry switch as found in the playfield, ramps - and this case - bowls....because the MRS is contactless - it allows for a greater amount of spins and greater consistency as the ball smacking the switch lever is no longer a function...this particular MRS is custom for the skill-shot bowl, however, MRS' were also an original part in Cactus Canyon - in fact, there were several WMS pins that had them stock....M&M Creations not only makes the custom MRS George is showing, but also remade the previously, unobtainium, stock MRS' found in Cactus.....

2 months later
1 year later
#141 2 years ago
Quoted from PinHead25:

Hello CC owners,
I am having issues with the MRS for the top right loop. It is registering whenever the coils in the area go off. (Bart toy, Bart toy hat, and saloon popper.) if I disconnect these coils the issue is resolved but then the coiled won’t work. I’ve also tried different MRS in that position, from the mine and pop bumper exit, but show the same issue in the top right switch. The switch is tight to the play field. I saw another thread about this issue but there was no resolution. If someone has had this issue before, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to fix it.
Thanks

PM me and I'll shoot you my phone #....I can help ya..

Matt
M&M Creations

2 weeks later
#143 2 years ago
Quoted from PinHead25:

For those of you that are wonder I was able to fix the issue with the MRs with the help of Matt. We were able to fix it by putting magnetic shield tape over the switch itself. If you have any trouble with your MRS I highly recommend talking to Matt.

Glad to be of help Grant! MRS' are our life at M&M Creations - and 99% of the time those original MRS' (of the 5 in CC) never go bad. Your case was fascinating - it's one of the oddest applications of an MRS - one that we wouldn't have recommended if we were designing a pin - but WMS certainly put in there and for most owners - not a problem; but for you - EMI was a problem for that MRS. The tape is the usual fix for low-level EMI - and it worked perfectly. I really wonder how long it was doing that for before you were able to notice - could have been years?

Matt
M&M Creations

3 weeks later
#147 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I needed to resurrect this thread. I have to admit, it took some time to dig it up as there are so many cactus canyon remake threads now.
Anyway, my question relates to the gold mine. For some reason, it seems to stay in the "low position" in my game and hardly ever rises. I did a switch test and it seems to register ball hits, but its just not moving much in the game. I do have seen it go totally up and down in a game on occasion, but I think it should be moving much more - perhaps so that when you hit it with a ball, it rises a notch or so?
EDIT: I just unplugged and plugged in the two connectors that go into the reed switch below playfield and now the mine seems to raise up on more occasions.
However, one question more: when the mine is in its lowest position, should one be able to shoot the ball into the mine? I can do it with my game, so maybe I have installed the wooden "mine entrance" piece a bit too high up - or maybe its just that way and one can shoot a ball in if one is lucky, even when the mine is in the lowest position?

I believe CC has 2 MRS' in the mine entrance position - you need to be sure both are working - they were put there together to cover a greater area of registration - only 1 may be working and thus the ball won't be as detected as often...just ensure both are working...if not - then one may have come loose and is not picking up the ball as it rests down too far - so be sure to press both firmly up into the pocket...

Matt

1 month later
#162 1 year ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I think this is exactly the problem with the Mine Entrance switch 15 that I am having. It seems that it does not register the ball, but instead, if I put my magnetic tool over the area, the switch 15 registers!
I also went into the mine test in my CCC and it seems that switch 15 is active all time time (or inactive, I do not know what the "cross" signs in the test. There is a cross over switch 15 all the time).
But the switches under the playfield do not seem to move... I think they are called "Magnetic reed switches". Should I remove them with a tool and try to re-install or what is the recommended procedure to get them to work? Should I just take some pliers and pull the switches out or how should one go about doing it in case replacing them is necessary? It seems that there is some grey plastic of sort around the reed switches (?), should it be removed as well?
Also, might it be that I am using wrong balls - they were called "oohshiny" by the code name, when I bought them.
Thanks for any help on how to fix this!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Well....so...the MRS are installed very simply....you'll notice 2 rubber nuts on each end of the MRS...that's what they are, simply a small piece of rubber tubing that pushes onto a small plastic post....you merely pull off with a small needle nose...and the MRS will fall out...you'll want to remove both MRS' and use a pinball to test each one to see if they are registering - normal state is open...from your test menu - you have a closure - NOW, I believe both of those are tied together - so only one may be closed - you'll want to figure out which one..

From your picture - I am highly suspicious of the metal weldment - it would appears that 'flap' is sitting out pretty far and may be causing the MRS closest to it to register falsely.....be on the lookout for that....you may be able to remedy that by simply rotating the MRS 180degrees...but you may find that weldment is the problem and you have to push that flap back in some (not much) for the MRS to not register....

Matt
M&M Creations

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thanks for the excellent tips! I might need to bend the metal flap!
I tested the game with other balls and they do not register any better.
I made some reboots and after one reboot the switch 15 registered well with the original balls, but it lost the ability after a new reboot. The switch 15 registered all the time to a magnet tool just fine though.
Might there be some bad connection somewhere, since the switch started to register just fine on one reboot? I wonder, if there is some bigger connector somewhere that I should try to reseat.
Had a look at Robert Winter's CC and indeed the metal flap seems to be protruding too far in my game: http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/restorations/cc/sold2/under_playfield.jpg

Best thing to do - is like I said - remove the MRS' from their positions (its very simple you can't mess it up) - and test them with a ball - NOT a magnetic tool - you want something that is ferritic to trigger the MRS, not something that is magnetic itself....this will also allow you to see if the flap is causing the switch to trigger too because if the current state is the MRS is triggered - then simply remove it and see if it clears (it likely will) then you know to simply rotate the MRS when you put it back or you have to bend the flap back...

These MRS' will last a very long time (they rarely fail) - but this type of behavior is likely due to interference of some kind...not a re-seated connection...

Matt

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thank you, I turned the other MRS and bent the flap - now it seems to work properly again.

Good deal - as expected....we know our MRS'! : )

Matt
M&M Creations

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bubba-like-shiny-sliver-ball-cactus-canyon-club?tu=sonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.