(Topic ID: 108351)

BTTF logic driven lights out, (but not all)

By bimm25i

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bimm25i
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robocop_22.jpg

#1 6 years ago

so I just got a BTTF and a LOT of the playfield lights are out, (like the mcfly, doc, speedometer loop bonus lights by the flippers, delorean, dmc, double jackpot backglass lights.) but some of them are still on (the doc/marty heads, the extra ball/back in time lights, and some of the lights under the ramps, I think all of the backglass lights work too).

where should I start?

I began testing the out bulbs in my other pinball machine and only found a couple bad ones. most of the ones that were off in game were good bulbs,

All of the fuses I could find were good, visually and once removed with a meter.

what should I do next?

#2 6 years ago

Get a manual and look if they are in the same row or column .

#3 6 years ago

okay So I missed a fuse earlier, I replaced the blown fuse located in the picture below with another 8A fuse which promptly blew on powering the machine up.

whats next?

robocop_22.jpg
#4 6 years ago

okay so I think its one of the bridge rectifiers located directly above the big capacitor.

I tested using the steps in this video:

and found the rectifier marked MB354 had a "bad leg". I'll be ordering a replacement tomorrow unless anyone knows a chain storeI could buy one at in person.

also is there a better option than the MB354? I see on mouser the part is marked "obsolete"

#5 6 years ago

Replaced the 400V Bridge Rectifier - playfield lights fired up like champs! now I only have a few more issues that I'm aware of;

There is a new electrical "buzz". As the lights closer to the backglass illuminate (especially noticeable during the sweeping attract animations, and always louder while the lights are at the top are on as opposed to the lower playfield lights. Like if the lights at the top start the attract wave, the buzzing is immediate and if the attract lights start at the bottom and go up, the buzz gets louder)

There are 4 lights out over the ramps in the "hill valley" signs, on the left sign the middle and right are out and on the right side the middle and left (so the inside 4 lights of these signs). I confirmed the bulbs work by testing in another socket, but light percussive maintenance has proven useless. there was a series of games where the middle light on the left sign began illuminating but its out now.

the bulb at the bottom of the right slingshot burned out after being replaced once already, I plan on troubleshooting after getting some new bulbs.

I have been replacing the playfield lights with the bulbs from the backglass, I need to order bulbs, and I want to go LED, are these tables prone to any problems during a incandescent -> LED changeover. Is it necessary to perform such a changeover all at once or can areas be upgraded over time?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

There are 4 lights out over the ramps in the "hill valley" signs, on the left sign the middle and right are out and on the right side the middle and left (so the inside 4 lights of these signs).

Check the switch matrix diagram and see if they are all in the same row or column. If so most likely a broken wire at one of the lamp sockets (in the relevant row or column).

#7 6 years ago

the lights over the ramps were dirty sockets! hit em with contact cleaner and a q tip and were back in action!!! the bulb in the bottom of the right slingshot had the glass separated from the socket, so replaced with a good bulb, we'll see how it goes with the new one. buzz is still around but really not "too" audible during play.

one of my last problems will be feeling like im neglecting special force when im playing BTTF.

why is pinball so awesome?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside