(Topic ID: 172245)

BTTF Locked Coils on Startup

By Hammerhead

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

This may be Data East related, not just BTTF specific.

I purchased a BTTF with some issues. I played fine, but the bottom pop bumper coil had melted, taking the driver and pre-driver transistors with it. I replaced the coil and the transistors, and also repinned J5 on the PPB board that had been done badly by the previous owner.

Now on startup, the top left, top right and left slings are locked on. All other driver transistors have been checked I'm sure there's a simple explanation but I can't seem to find it. I've linked another post about other issues with this game, maybe they're related.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-issues

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

Did some reading and found this anomaly with respect to DE Revision 3 games:

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#trans

Based on this, I did some investigating in the basement and found one diode (D2, 1N5234) and its associated capacitor (C42, 0.1uF) are a dead short; both are on CN18 which is not used in BTTF

I also checked some resistors on CN19 which is used on BTTF and found the following:
- one 560 ohm resistor (R21) only reads 280 ohms
- all 6 2.7K resistors (R20, R22, R24, R26, R28, R30) read low, between 1.28K and 1.91K

So I'll be replacing D2 and C42, but what about the resistors? Are their low resistances of concern? Should I be replacing those as well?

1 month later
#3 7 years ago

Upon further investigation when I took the MPU board out for repair there was a sh!tload of battery corrosion that wasn't clearly visible until closer inspection, far too much to repair. So I broke down and got a new Rottendog MPU ($450 CAD before shipping, yikes!) and she's back up and running again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-locked-coils-on-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.