20230528_162511.jpg
20230528_162413.jpg
20230527_195140 (resized).jpg
20230527_195143 (resized).jpg
96D91168-7763-4167-8D57-606DCACBD51F (resized).jpeg
bttf flippers (resized).jpeg
thumbnail_Image 2-26-23 at 9.09 PM (resized).jpg
20230214_200057 (resized).jpg

There are 569 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.
#301 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

I have a similar situation. Once in a while, one of the speaker panel speakers (usually the right side and usually occurs when the machine is first turned on) will be much quieter than the other. I find that if I touch the volume potentiometer with my fingers that the sound comes back. There seems to be a bit of static noise but then it comes back.... much like touching a radio antenna when losing the signal. Not sure if its a board issue, grounding issue, potentiometer issue, or what???

You sir are a genius. Of all the things I never tried messing with the volume pot! Tweaking it fixed it and I sprayed some electronics cleaner in there. I’ve been racking my brain!! What an easy fix!

#302 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

You sir are a genius. Of all the things I never tried messing with the volume pot! Tweaking it fixed it and I sprayed some electronics cleaner in there. I’ve been racking my brain!! What an easy fix!

Now I have to ask... how exactly did you tweak it? Thanks

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Now I have to ask... how exactly did you tweak it? Thanks

Honestly I just adjusted the volume. I actually pushed on the volume pot stick and I guess my connection is dirty. Works great now. Can't believe I never tried just adjusting the volume. Its located inside the coin door (but I'm sure you know that)

#304 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Honestly I just adjusted the volume. I actually pushed on the volume pot stick and I guess my connection is dirty. Works great now. Can't believe I never tried just adjusting the volume. Its located inside the coin door (but I'm sure you know that)

Lol. Glad its fixed. Now play that fun game!

#305 5 years ago

Hmm...mine has a similar issue... Sometimes the sound sounds like cheap headphones, turn potentiometer a tad, fixed....Was thinking of searching out a replacement

#306 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm...mine has a similar issue... Sometimes the sound sounds like cheap headphones, turn potentiometer a tad, fixed....Was thinking of searching out a replacement

So each time I turn on my machine I have to tweak the volume pot to get all three speakers to function properly. Started to wonder now if I just need to reflow some solder on the volume pot connections or if it’s linked to the sound board...

#307 5 years ago

Just an update on my speaker issue. I opened up the power unit that houses the volume pot and on/off switch. Opened it up and sprayed electronics cleaner on the volume pot and it fixed my issue!

1 month later
#308 5 years ago

Finishing up my BTTF and have the typical green under ramp flashers licking on. Haven’t had any luck finding the fail components. Anyone had any suggestions of where to look that has dealt with it?

#309 5 years ago

I encoraged me to design a custom cards for Back to the Future Pinball. I´m working in a "Free Play" card now.

I hope you like and encorage you to design your own custom pinball cards!

"Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules" (DATA EAST). Designed by Zona Arcade and Mikonos.
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Back%20To%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Rules.%20Mikonos1.jpg

Details in "Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules" (DATA EAST). Designed by Zona Arcade and Mikonos.
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Back%20To%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Rules.%20Mikonos2.jpg
Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos1.jpgBack To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos1.jpgBack To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos2.jpgBack To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos2.jpg

I take bigger screenshots and photos, click to enlarge images (and click again on display image mode if it is necessary) for avoid blur effect of pinside´s miniatures.

Regards

1 week later
#310 5 years ago

Another one:

"Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (DATA EAST). Designed by Zona Arcade and Mikonos.
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Back%20To%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Free%20Play.%20Mikonos1.jpg

Details in "Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (DATA EAST). Designed by Zona Arcade and Mikonos.
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Back%20To%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Free%20Play.%20Mikonos2.jpg

Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos1.jpgBack To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos1.jpgBack To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos2.jpgBack To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos2.jpg

I take bigger screenshots and photos, click to enlarge images (and click again on display image mode if it is necessary) for avoid blur effect of pinside´s miniatures.

Regards

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikonos:

Another one:
"Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (DATA EAST). Designed by Zona Arcade and Mikonos.
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Back%20To%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Free%20Play.%20Mikonos1.jpg
Details in "Back To The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (DATA EAST). Designed by Zona Arcade and Mikonos.
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Back%20To%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Free%20Play.%20Mikonos2.jpg

Regards

I have the T-shirt of marty and my brother has the T-shirt of Doc of this artwork.

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I have the T-shirt of marty and my brother has the T-shirt of Doc of this artwork.

Hi TheCapn!

Yes, I usually use images from net for some of my artworks.

I hope you like cards!

Regards

#313 5 years ago

"Back to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules" (DATA EAST) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 1).
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Back%20to%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20card%20-%20Rules%20print1.jpg

Back to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules" (DATA EAST) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 2).
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Back%20to%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20card%20-%20Rules%20print2.jpg
Back to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules print1.JPGBack to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules print1.JPGBack to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules print2.JPGBack to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Rules print2.JPG

Regards

#315 5 years ago

and last here! Are wondeful in metallic chrome vinyl!

"Back to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (DATA EAST) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 1).
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Back%20to%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20card%20-%20Free%20Play%20print1.jpg

Back to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (DATA EAST) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 2).
https://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Back%20to%20The%20Future%20Custom%20Pinball%20card%20-%20Free%20Play%20print2.jpg

Back to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play print1.JPGBack to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play print1.JPGBack to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play print2.JPGBack to The Future Custom Pinball Card - Free Play print2.JPG

Regards

#316 5 years ago

Okay, so how do we go about getting a set of these?

#317 5 years ago

If you like, I would print a set for you or one of them. They are printed in chrome material, ok!

Send me a p.m..

Regards

2 months later
#318 5 years ago

I have a BTTF for sale if anyone is looking to join this club:

Machine - For Sale
Fully shopped/refurbished - “For Sale - Data East Back to the Future pinball machine. It works great and was recently shopped out - playfield cleaned and waxed, new rubber rings, new leg levelers, etc. Drop ...”
2018-09-21
Oshkosh, WI
Archived after: 29 days
Viewed: 925 times
Contributed to Pinside

#319 5 years ago

Ramp and wireform just posted FSBO. Look at market ad.

2 weeks later
#320 5 years ago

I have one to trade that is 100% working with original cabinet, as well as a spare PF.

20181016_220344 (resized).jpg20181016_220344 (resized).jpg20181016_220806 (resized).jpg20181016_220806 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#321 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

still in the works, other projects have gotten in the way.

Great to hear. Only just found this thread. I would be in on a repro ramp for sure.

3 weeks later
#323 5 years ago

Awesome news, ordered 2 sets for my and @knockerlover's projects. Now we just need repro ramps!!

#324 5 years ago

Bumping again to help spread the word

2 weeks later
#325 5 years ago

got my plastic set today. Beyond the plastics, there are extra goodies as usual (data east keychains), every plastic protector, two of the plastic that's in front of the pop bumper (since this is prone to breaking).

And yes, I still intend to get the ramp made, have to get my game setup again in the basement and recheck everything. Also I was wanted to fund the tool myself, pretty sure I have enough at this point.
bttf_plastics (resized).jpgbttf_plastics (resized).jpg

#326 5 years ago

Quoted from toyotaboy:got my plastic set today. Beyond the plastics, there are extra goodies as usual (data east keychains), every plastic protector, two of the plastic that's in front of the pop bumper (since this is prone to breaking).
And yes, I still intend to get the ramp made, have to get my game setup again in the basement and recheck everything. Also I was wanted to fund the tool myself, pretty sure I have enough at this point.
[quoted image]

Care to sell that extra plastic that goes in front of the pop bumper?

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Care to sell that extra plastic that goes in front of the pop bumper?

Probably want to keep my spare, but you can have my homemade one for free
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-club-whoa-this-is-heavy/page/3#post-3782155

#328 5 years ago

Anyone have a bulb list for doing your own kit of LEDs in a BTTF?

1 week later
#329 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Anyone have a bulb list for doing your own kit of LEDs in a BTTF?

I need this too, if anyone has it.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Probably want to keep my spare, but you can have my homemade one for free
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-club-whoa-this-is-heavy/page/3#post-3782155

I'll take it!! Let me know how much it is to ship it to NY. Thanks!

1 month later
#331 5 years ago

Has anybody successfully pulled off the mylar on a Back to the Future? I've done it several times to other games but this will be my first mylar pull on a Data East.

Thanks,
Rich

#332 5 years ago

I pulled the Mylar on mine a bunch of years ago. Used freeze spray and went slow. No issues and no paint damage.

#333 5 years ago

Same as fierodoug did. Freeze spray, go slow. No issues.

#334 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Has anybody successfully pulled off the mylar on a Back to the Future? I've done it several times to other games but this will be my first mylar pull on a Data East.
Thanks,
Rich

Freeze spray several years ago and the o lynissie I had was the text came off the 5 X insets just above the flippers. I had bad insert bubbles from insert hear and that might have had something to do with it. Overall pretty easy to take off. Just take it slow.

#335 5 years ago

Yup, freeze spray (can air duster turned upside down) worked well for me. If you're not going to restore and clear coat the PF, I'd leave it on personally. The paint will just wear off the whole PF if you don't restore it properly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/marty-you-gotta-come-back-with-me-where-back-to-the-future-restore#post-3883659

Removing the remaining goo with flour and alcohol worked great, but took much much longer than removing the mylar.

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Yup, freeze spray (can air duster turned upside down) worked well for me. If you're not going to restore and clear coat the PF, I'd leave it on personally. The paint will just wear off the whole PF if you don't restore it properly.

Thanks for the tips. I loved looking at your restoration thread. Nice work.

I don't think I need to add more clear. The play field has clear coat on it already and the paint hasn't worn where there is no mylar. I realize it's a thin factory cc but it's fine for home use. Also my NOS playboy 35th looks just fine and it has factory clear.

Thanks,
Rich

#337 5 years ago

BTW, has anybody tried weaker flipper coils? Or something else to weaken the flipper strength? I have factory 090-5020-30 in mine.

Thanks,
Rich

#338 5 years ago

Finally got some side art decals for BTTF. Blends in nicely I think.

IMG_1181 (resized).jpgIMG_1181 (resized).jpgIMG_1182 (resized).jpgIMG_1182 (resized).jpgIMG_1183 (resized).jpgIMG_1183 (resized).jpgIMG_1184 (resized).jpgIMG_1184 (resized).jpg
#339 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Finally got some side art decals for BTTF. Blends in nicely I think.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

gac very cool! Where get?

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

gac very cool! Where get?

Retro refurbs.

2 weeks later
#341 5 years ago

Almost finished with the playfield part of my restoration. Need to add the drop stickers. I added the Delorean made by Welly from Amazon. I also added two spotlights on the right sling.
IMG_0730 (resized).jpgIMG_0730 (resized).jpgIMG_0733 (resized).jpgIMG_0733 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#342 4 years ago

turned my BTTF on for the first time this year last week. I've since put in about 25 games and a few things have popped up:

1 - after locking a ball, no ball gets ejected into the shooter lane. I'm not hearing a coil fire or anything. This was an intermittent problem last year that seems to be fully present now.

2 - 80% volume reduction in playfield sounds (ball whooshs, alarms/bells, etc.) coming from the left speaker. Background music plays fine but, the other stuff is greatly lacking in sound volume

Any thoughts?

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

turned my BTTF on for the first time this year last week. I've since put in about 25 games and a few things have popped up:
1 - after locking a ball, no ball gets ejected into the shooter lane. I'm not hearing a coil fire or anything. This was an intermittent problem last year that seems to be fully present now.
2 - 80% volume reduction in playfield sounds (ball whooshs, alarms/bells, etc.) coming from the left speaker. Background music plays fine but, the other stuff is greatly lacking in sound volume
Any thoughts?

Check your sound board, particularly the back side. I had some issues with a BTTF where one side, the sound was almost non-existent. What did I find? An absolutely roasted capacitor that left permenant damage to the PCB. I was able to replace the cap and solder on jumpers to repair the destroyed traces and it worked fine from them on out but if the caps are going (or totally gone in a blaze of glory like in my case) you may want to try rebuilding the sound board.

#344 4 years ago

Almost finished with the playfield part of my restoration. Need to add the drop stickers. I added the Delorean made by Welly from Amazon. I also added two spotlights on the right sling.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Delorean looks great. How did you mount it?

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Check your sound board, particularly the back side. I had some issues with a BTTF where one side, the sound was almost non-existent. What did I find? An absolutely roasted capacitor that left permenant damage to the PCB. I was able to replace the cap and solder on jumpers to repair the destroyed traces and it worked fine from them on out but if the caps are going (or totally gone in a blaze of glory like in my case) you may want to try rebuilding the sound board.

Looks clean IMO. F3FFC450-3B45-4B22-8288-CE14C1708EAF (resized).jpegF3FFC450-3B45-4B22-8288-CE14C1708EAF (resized).jpeg

When you say rebuild the sound board are you referring to recapping it or something else?

#346 4 years ago

Oh and that spot in the bottom right hand corner is just some weird optical illusion where they look rusty in the 1st pic. 02053D14-760E-446E-A5E5-10D55AA40413 (resized).jpeg02053D14-760E-446E-A5E5-10D55AA40413 (resized).jpeg

#347 4 years ago

I just wanted to say that I'm happy to be part of this club. It's definitely not my favorite pinball machine within my collection, but I would never part with it. I love BTTF and could only dream that a new pin may eventually be released with Michael J. Fox's actual likeness, and even if it did, this one would still stay with me.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Any thoughts?

Long shot, but did you check the volume pot inside the cab? If not, grab it during gameplay and wiggle it, then turn it back and forth. Mine causes all sorts of weird sound issues. I just smack it, then it's fine (too lazy to take it out, open it up and clean it).

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Long shot, but did you check the volume pot inside the cab? If not, grab it during gameplay and wiggle it, then turn it back and forth. Mine causes all sorts of weird sound issues. I just smack it, then it's fine (too lazy to take it out, open it up and clean it).

You’ll never believe it!

So I adjusted the volume up and down and the problem has gone away... weird and dumb but it worked. So what’s the underlying cause?

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

You’ll never believe it!
So I adjusted the volume up and down and the problem has gone away... weird and dumb but it worked. So what’s the underlying cause?

Just a dirty potentiometer.... (Spray with contact cleaner, work back and forth)

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/control-crackle-cleaning-your-pots-and-switches-can-help

Also, your ball lock issue sounds like the ball lock switch not registering..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 569 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-club-whoa-this-is-heavy/page/7?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.