(Topic ID: 164769)

BTTF - back to the future (please make it happen)

By toyotaboy

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ericpinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy a BTTF pinball?”

• Take my money now! 30 votes
      79%
    • Only if it made me feel like a universal studio ride 2 votes
      5%
    • Why? They made one back in 1990 6 votes
      16%

(38 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1.21gigawatts_(resized).jpg
    Back-To-The-Future-2-Almanac-Receipt-1[1]_(resized).jpg
    hologram_shark_(resized).jpg
    tz_to_bttf_clock_(resized).jpg
    bttf_cabinett_(resized).jpg
    delorean_88mph_(resized).png
    bttf_shooter_lane_(resized).jpg
    bttf_shooter_launch_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Ok, so there was a thread long before ghostbusters was announced, sketching ideas of what could be on the playfield of a ghostbusters pinball. Even though most of those ideas didn't happen, it was still fun to imagine what could have been (and perhaps the excitement got Stern to seriously think about that theme?). So in my efforts, I thought I'd start a thread and just post sketched ideas of how to bring the original data east pinball into modern times and really integrate all 3 movies into a kick ass pinball theme. Let's start off at the front. The shooter button should borrow the mech from apollo13, but the handle becomes the time circuit power switch handle:

bttf_shooter_launch_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Shooter lane skillshot should be getting the ball to 88 (scaled) mph, and a digital readout should tell you how close you got. The entire shooter lane should glow bright blue when you fire a shot

bttf_shooter_lane_(resized).jpg

delorean_88mph_(resized).png

#3 3 years ago

Cabinet features backglass from all 3 movies. Speaker grills are backlit speakers that look like the delorean rear tail lights

bttf_cabinett_(resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

TZ clock concept is brought over, but re-styled to the gold clock sitting on the dash. This is used as a countdown timer for modes.

tz_to_bttf_clock_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Would be awesome if STERN did make a new BTTF pin....so many possibilities

#6 3 years ago

Freakin' awesome.

Ok so to 'impove' upon the skill shot idea, how about if your skill shot gets the 88 or desired speed then a scoop opens up somewhere on the right side of the playfield and takes the ball below and makes it disappear in time (kicks it out wherever). Point being that if you miss the skill shot you either just loop around, or hit some standup in the back right (old man peabody's barn) to indicate that your skill shot has failed.

As far as the cabinet, I don't particularly like the backglass but I don't have a better idea. The rest of the cabinet should be made to look like a Delorean as much as possible. Keep the blue lights as an option that only goes off at certain points to indicate time travel. The topper should be Mr. Fusion. The Delorean is so cool looking and there are so many components to it.

The back wall of the playfield should be the flux capacitor directly in the middle...maybe amidst some time circuits and whatever. If you want a more integrated approach to the flux capacitor, maybe put the clock tower in the back with some other hill valley images.

#7 3 years ago

People lost their minds with Ghostbusters (my Pro just arrived. Losing one's mind was justified. It's near perfect in my eyes). Imagine the hype of an updated BTTF. If Stern announced it, they could re-theme Wrestlemania and I'd still buy it. Haha

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

Ok so to 'impove' upon the skill shot idea, how about if your skill shot gets the 88 or desired speed then a scoop opens up somewhere on the right side of the playfield and takes the ball below and makes it disappear in time (kicks it out wherever).

Different sections of the PF could be different times from the movies. Western, 50's, future, present day, etc. Or, the different time periods could just be the modes and maybe the skill shot could open up a different mode if you hit 88 mph. When I first read the subject line I was like "wtf dude?" But, the more I think about it I would really like this pin!

#9 3 years ago

Take my $ now! Stern should do a contest on Pinside where the winner gets to help design and come up with rules for their next pin.

#10 3 years ago

Id be all over that so long as they can have Michael J Fox on it this time!

#11 3 years ago

This theme deserves a proper modern machine, including LCD. Donate a portion of sales to the Michael J. Fox foundation, bet he would allow his likeness to be used this go-around.

So many cool ideas, how about a callout for "Look at the time, you have less than 4 minutes!!" then timed multiball!

A Huey Lewis/Alan Silvestri soundtrack is a must!!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

Ok so to 'impove' upon the skill shot idea, how about if your skill shot gets the 88 or desired speed then a scoop opens up somewhere on the right side of the playfield and takes the ball below and makes it disappear in time (kicks it out wherever). Point being that if you miss the skill shot you either just loop around, or hit some standup in the back right (old man peabody's barn) to indicate that your skill shot has failed.

I was starting to think about the same thing last night.. I was thinking hit 88mph, a drop target pops up, stops the ball, and a trap door opens (in the shooter lane), but at the same time a flasher goes off (to hide all this).. then a random sound plays (WHERE THE HELL IS EINSTEIN??.. where are we, when the hell are we?), and the ball pops out of a scoop somewhere on the playfield after some flashes and the time travel sound

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

Take my $ now! Stern should do a contest on Pinside where the winner gets to help design and come up with rules for their next pin.

that might be a bad idea. Sometimes the rules of the games they actually make don't come out that great. having a random person from here create the rules sounds like a recipe for destruction.

#14 3 years ago

Another dream theme that I would buy Ina heartbeat (as long as the game didn't suck). I seem to remember info being leaked about Dutch pinball and BTTF when all the drama was going on. One of the ideas I think they had for the game was a spedometer for the ball launch that you would try and hit 88mph on.

I'd love to see some really cool lighting effect on the game someplace to simulate the flame tire tracks. I could see an LCD on the playfield being amazing for producing this effect as the ball rolls over it.

#15 3 years ago

There's a Virtual Pin table where the skillshot is to release the plunger at 88. At the time, I didn't realize it wasn't already in the game, until I came across one in person for the first time.

Could do some hoverball effects like LOTR does with the Ring shot.

Oh. Would be some advancement in technology, but instead of printed plastics, if they could project images onto them that could change the look depending of what decade you're in. Something like this.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

I'd love to see some really cool lighting effect on the game someplace to simulate the flame tire tracks. I could see an LCD on the playfield being amazing for producing this effect as the ball rolls over it.

that was another idea I had in my list. Not sure if LCD with haptic tracking would be affordable enough (yes Multimorphic is doing it, but it's also an expensive machine). Even if they just did some inserts with flames (say behind a spinner, and the spinner switch activates a cycle of the inserts lighting up), I'd be good with that.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

There's a Virtual Pin table where the skillshot is to release the plunger at 88. At the time, I didn't realize it wasn't already in the game, until I came across one in person for the first time.

Yes, this one:

Quoted from woody24:

Could do some hoverball effects like LOTR does with the Ring shot.

This would make a killer bash toy, if you could tether it and detect getting hit

Quoted from woody24:

Oh. Would be some advancement in technology, but instead of printed plastics, if they could project images onto them that could change the look depending of what decade you're in. Something like this.

Projection mapping would be hard in such a tight space (but would love to see this done in general). Typically the projector is far away, and it would have to be under the glass (wouldn't project through). They do make wide angle projectors that need very little space to project, but they are expensive, and I don't believe they make pico versions yet. Also it would have to be LED, projectors get very hot and I would worry about what it might melt.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Projection mapping would be hard in such a tight space (but would love to see this done in general). Typically the projector is far away, and it would have to be under the glass (wouldn't project through). They do make wide angle projectors that need very little space to project, but they are expensive, and I don't believe they make pico versions yet. Also it would have to be LED, projectors get very hot and I would worry about what it might melt.

I'm no engineer by any means, but I was kind of thinking something along the lines of fiber-optic. If they can have the "projector" in the bottom of the cabinet, and then send the video through fiberoptic cables that go through the underside of the playfield, and up to a lens of some sort to project from the underside. Kind of like a high definition version of those decorative fiber optic psychedelic display pieces. Somehow they'd have to figure out how to display millions of colors, instead of just 1.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

that was another idea I had in my list. Not sure if LCD with haptic tracking would be affordable enough (yes Multimorphic is doing it, but it's also an expensive machine). Even if they just did some inserts with flames (say behind a spinner, and the spinner switch activates a cycle of the inserts lighting up), I'd be good with that.

You could just do it similar to the Ecto goggles. Have a set of optos that registers the ball which triggers the animation to play on the screen. Would probably limit it to a lane or ramp where it has fewer direction variables.

#20 3 years ago

Man, some really creative ideas shared here!! Love it!

I feel like there'd need to be some sort of "mist ball" like mode where the ball is floating on top of a hover board. Perhaps it's 3 hover boards and you have to knock off Biff and the henchmen before they get all the way across the table?

#21 2 years ago

Next idea - Needs a hologram jaws that eats the ball for an alternate ball lock.
    hologram_shark_(resized).jpg

If anyone has played SEGA time traveler will know how good a hologram can be (not a lens floating above a lane). This is achieved using a parabolic mirror below the surface:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

#22 2 years ago

The apron cards should be translucent blue with grey printing, like the future receipts:

Back-To-The-Future-2-Almanac-Receipt-1[1]_(resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago

how good is the sound on a BTTF pinball? How do you think 1.21 gigawatts sounds?
    1.21gigawatts_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #24 2 years ago

As long as there was a cover Biff with shit mode I would buy it.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

As long as there was a cover Biff with shit mode I would buy it.

MANURE! I HATE manure!!

#26 2 years ago

And less Biff artwork, original has way to much Biff. I vision pinball in future with pin blades that are Led panels that integrate with full color DMD. The light show and images would take awhile to program, but worth it. These led panels are getting very thin. Cabinet can be designed to integrate them by just making it little wider. Whole pin should look like a Delorean with. Hoverboard video mode.
    If doc and Marty aren't on board for images and voices, I'm out.
    I'll take an LE order now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    £ 12.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 45.99
    € 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside