(Topic ID: 96229)

BSD wth is wrong with switch #82 with new GPE 10sw opto board installed?!

By Winball_Pizard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm having a tourney/get together at my place this coming weekend and I've had a long intermittent issue with the vuk that is fed from the mystery scoop. The vuk sometimes will just start going nuts and kicking for no reason and not stop throughout the game and attract mode. Then suddenly it might not do it for weeks or months. I replaced both sides of the emitter on that vuk, repinned the headers on the 10sw opto and replaced all the idc with molex and it still happens intermittently.

I decided to get a Great Plains Electronics 10sw opto replacement from BAA. I thought maybe its my 10sw opto and its got extra test functions so that could help me figure out wtf is going on with my vuk. Plugged it in, all led indicators come on, start a game, seems to be working great until I start getting drained out for no reason after mist mb. So I go into switch test and #82 the long beam opto is getting rapidly switched on and off. If I block the beam the switch stayed closed by my hand but, you can still see #82 flickering away on the DMD.

I throw my old 10sw opto back in the game and #82 is fine. Solid as a rock in switch test no flickering weirdness. If you look in the manual the only thing that these two boards seem to share is power and ground from the driver board.

#2 9 years ago

Bad solder joint somewhere?

#3 9 years ago

Oops Great Lakes Modular

#4 9 years ago

So heres something else I just found out. The great lakes modular board has a test mode. If you run this test mode which just cycles through all of the optos on the board one by one switch #82 is fine. If its not in test mode and running normally it somehow screws with switch #82. Finally if the GLM board is unplugged completely switch #82 is fine.....

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

Tried to contact GLM at the email address on their site for support they offer in the instructions and no reply. Just fyi

#6 9 years ago

Hey sometimes the opto beam will be blocked by the gates on the left and right that hold the mist ball. Try bending them up a bit. Fixed mine and a few others that way. The beam may be reflecting against the ball gate sometimes.

3 months later
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Hey sometimes the opto beam will be blocked by the gates on the left and right that hold the mist ball. Try bending them up a bit. Fixed mine and a few others that way. The beam may be reflecting against the ball gate sometimes.

It was the left gate! Its odd that that switching out a board that has seemingly nothing to do with the long opto would cause this and I have no idea why but, moving the left gate seems to have fixed the issue! Thanks!

#8 9 years ago

I had one of GLM's opto boards for the castle ball lock, and I was having an issue where the optos were being triggered as 2 - 1 - 3 instead of 1-2-3. HomePin's board fixed that issue.

Bottom line, I would be very cautious of anything g with GLM on it now - especially if you heard nothing back.

#9 9 years ago

I certainly didn't appreciate no response from GLM. The 10sw opto board fixed my VUK problem and I have no idea how the GLM board and Homepin board running together caused the beam to suddenly be finicky because of the left gate. I didn't touch the left gate at all when switching between the B/W 10sw opto and the GLM opto. It makes no friggin since! lol

#10 9 years ago

Just saw this thread.

To OP, not sure I ever got an email about the issue. Sometimes I just don't get emails that customers send, sometimes I'm just far too busy to get to it and it falls off the radar. Best thing to do is just keep emailing.

The problem you are describing sounds an awful lot like the issue we have with TOM and the 7 opto board, a problem which is unique to that particular game (as far as I know). This is where they (Williams) used the opto switch board sub-harnesses (which should in theory ONLY be tied to the playfield optos) to drive power and ground to the left eddy sensor (instead of just using the standard power/ground lines running around the playfield.

On the GLM opto switch boards, the sub-harnesses do not have a true ground, so anything that might be trying to use it (as it exists on the factory board) will probably not work as expected and jitter.

I don't know what homepin device you are using in your game or how it may be wired in, but in the past few years there have been more compatibility issues cropping up as new aftermarket suppliers come to market and as customers add more and more mods to their games. It's a lot to keep up with!

As for the castle lock swap issue, this was discovered very early on in the development of the 10 opto board. BSD is one of the games that has a known factory wiring issue (the lines to the transmitters are swapped). It doesn't affect the factory board since the optos are powered on all of the time. But since the GLM board switches them on/off one at a time (to conserve power and prolong the life of the optos), it requires the transmitters to be wired in correctly so that they are pointing at the correct receiver.

We were able to correct the issue in the 10 opto board's firmware, but there are boards out there that may not have the updated firmware to correct for it. Most boards can be sent back to have their firmware updated (we can also generally do this at shows too).

The other simpler option is to just correct the wiring harness to what it should have been, which would be beneficial for future troubleshooting purposes anyway. It takes about 2 minutes to do.

Hope that helps explain things.

Tony

Post edited by GLModular: Corrected a few technical things.

#11 9 years ago

Thank you, Tony, for chiming in on this topic. It definitely speaks well of you to come address these issues. Confidence definitely restored.

Too bad the board I had is long gone. Oh wells =/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-wth-is-wrong-with-switch-82-with-new-gpe-10sw-opto-board-installed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.