Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BSD_Switch_82.pdf (PDF preview)
P1020191 (resized).JPG
P1020190 (resized).JPG
P1020179 (resized).JPG
P1020180 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I just changed out the batteries in all of my games and now my BSD will not load the Mist multi-ball into the side pocket by lifting the shooter ramp. All of the battery replacements went as expected without any issues. My batteries on all of my games are off of the CPU board as I have remote battery holders on my WMS/Bally games and NVRAM on my DE games and lithium wafer batteries on my Stern and JJP games.

The strange thing is that when I run solenoid tests the shooter ramp raises as expected so that a ball can be loaded up into the Mist multi-ball pocket under the castle. The trough ejects all four balls in test mode as well.

When I turn the game on I see the Mist magnet continuously moving back and forth under the playfield as though it wants to load a ball into the Mist multi-ball pocket. I haven't played this game for a month or so and it has always worked flawlessly previously. I ran the magnet tests, but I am not sure what I should be looking for with that so guidance will be needed.

I know that there are quite a few posts on this issue so I will be perusing the Pinside database to see if I can find an answer, however I also wanted to ask the pinball tech wizards on here what steps they would recommend to troubleshoot this issue.

Let me know what you all think and I will search for troubleshooting steps here as well. Thanks.

Gord

#2 3 years ago

Did you change the batteries with power off? If so, you lost your stored settings. Going by memory, there’s a setting about using the mist ball. Maybe that got switched.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Did you change the batteries with power off? If so, you lost your stored settings. Going by memory, there’s a setting about using the mist ball. Maybe that got switched.

Nope, power was on for the battery change, unless the setting was somehow lost prior due to low battery voltage. I will check in adjustments to see if Mist ball is on or off in the settings. I did find a Homepin 24" opto replacement board that I purchased in June of 2013 in my parts stash.

https://www.pinballlife.com/24-opto-replacement-board-a-15646.html

I will check the Mist ball settings and if they are correct I will swap in the Homepin 24" opto replacement board and see if that fixes the issue.

Gord

P1020179 (resized).JPGP1020179 (resized).JPG
P1020180 (resized).JPGP1020180 (resized).JPG

#4 3 years ago

Does a ball try to load up the shooter lane and into the magnet pocket and then just dump out onto the playfield? Or does this not happen at all?

The motor screw going back and forth across the playfield is a normal part of the initialization process. Some video of what's happening would be useful.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Does a ball try to load up the shooter lane and into the magnet pocket and then just dump out onto the playfield? Or does this not happen at all?
The motor screw going back and forth across the playfield is a normal part of the initialization process. Some video of what's happening would be useful.

After installing the Homepin replacement 24" opto board it works a little better, but still has some problems. Below are 2 videos.

The first video is a magnet test via diagnostics and the second video is what happens when I turn the game on now. Upon startup it does load a ball into the Mist pocket, but it does that several times and kicks out the ball already in the Mist pocket.

I am getting some flasher interference errors on some of the magnet tests during diagnostics. I am not sure why that is happening now.

Gord

BSD Magnet Test via Diagnostics

BSD Game Startup

#6 3 years ago

Does a ball try to load up the shooter lane and into the magnet pocket and then just dump out onto the playfield?

After installing the Homepin replacement 24" opto board upon startup a ball enters the shooter lane and is loaded into the magnet pocket. Then it repeats this several more times and each time the game releases the ball from the magnet pocket back onto the playfield and then another ball is loaded into the magnet pocket.

Video links are in the post above this post.

Gord

#7 3 years ago

OK, if the ball is loading into the pocket and then dumping out onto the playfield, it's usually because the ball-on-magnet opto is failing (I think this is switch 82?). I've seen this happen because of a board failure, but if you're still seeing this with the Homepin board, I would actually check to see if your optos have failed. (This has absolutely NOTHING to do with you changing the batteries). The problem is these optos are on opposite ends of the playfield and a total pain in the ass to get at (the right transmitter requires removing the right ramp and plastics....the left (receiver) requires removing the large castle plastic and then some finesse surgery.

That all said, the flasher interference error needs to be address. That COULD be the optos as above, but could also be that other playfield lighting is causing too much interference with the optos and tricking them into thinking a ball is there. Were there any recent lighting changes on this game? Your video seems to suggest some SUPER bright flashers.

#8 3 years ago

OK, if the ball is loading into the pocket and then dumping out onto the playfield, it's usually because the ball-on-magnet opto is failing (I think this is switch 82?). I've seen this happen because of a board failure, but if you're still seeing this with the Homepin board, I would actually check to see if your optos have failed. (This has absolutely NOTHING to do with you changing the batteries). The problem is these optos are on opposite ends of the playfield and a total pain in the ass to get at (the right transmitter requires removing the right ramp and plastics....the left (receiver) requires removing the large castle plastic and then some finesse surgery.
That all said, the flasher interference error needs to be address. That COULD be the optos as above, but could also be that other playfield lighting is causing too much interference with the optos and tricking them into thinking a ball is there. Were there any recent lighting changes on this game? Your video seems to suggest some SUPER bright flashers.

Hi @wxforecaster,

I haven't changed any lighting on this game in the 7.5 years that I have owned the game. All I have really done to it is change the batteries every 2 years and replace any burnt out bulbs whenever I notice it.

I appreciate your responses. It figures that the optos in question are a PITA to get to. I am not quite sure how I will proceed at this point. Let me think on it as I don't want to break anything getting at the optos. The 'finesse' word sort of scares me a bit to be honest as that is not my forte.

Gord

#9 3 years ago

I uninstalled the Homepin replacement 24" opto board and re-installed the original BSD opto board. Now the flasher errors during diagnostic magnet testing and the continuous loading of a ball into the Mist pocket are gone. However, I am back to the original problem where a ball will not load into the Mist pocket when the game is turned on.

This is strange and I will likely seek out assistance from a local pinball tech if I can find one in the Denver area. I have already started another thread for Denver area pinball tech recommendations as the pinball tech that I have used previously (Dan Gutchess) is really good, however that was 7.5 years ago and I am not sure he does home service calls anymore or if my contact information for him is correct.

Gord

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I uninstalled the Homepin replacement 24" opto board and re-installed the original BSD opto board. Now the flasher errors during diagnostic magnet testing and the continuous loading of a ball into the Mist pocket are gone. However, I am back to the original problem where a ball will not load into the Mist pocket when the game is turned on.
This is strange and I will likely seek out assistance from a local pinball tech if I can find one in the Denver area. I have already started another thread for Denver area pinball tech recommendations as the pinball tech that I have used previously (Dan Gutchess) is really good, however that was 7.5 years ago and I am not sure he does home service calls anymore or if my contact information for him is correct.
Gord

Have you tried manually loading a ball into each pocket (one side at time) and then booting the game? I'd be curious to know if it recognizes the ball in either side and plays normally.

#11 3 years ago

I'd reach out to Ryan Wanger with COMET pinball in Boulder. He does solid tech work.

#12 3 years ago

I'd reach out to Ryan Wanger with COMET pinball in Boulder. He does solid tech work.

Thanks for the lead, I sent Ryan a PM last night regarding this issue as I thought he might have a lead on a good pinball technician.

Gord

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Have you tried manually loading a ball into each pocket (one side at time) and then booting the game? I'd be curious to know if it recognizes the ball in either side and plays normally.

With the original BSD opto board installed I tried that on both sides and when I started a game it kicked the ball out of the pocket on the right side so I put a ball on the left side pocket and the magnet started to take it across the playfield from L to R and then about halfway or so it dropped the ball.

With the original BSD opto board installed the game will not load a ball into the Mist pocket as the shooter ramp will not raise and the magnet continually travels from R to L and the L to R across the playfield. With the Homepin replacement 24" opto board the game will load a ball into the Mist pocket, however it then kicks that ball out after a few seconds and loads another ball into the Mist pocket and this behavior continues until the game is shut off.

Gord

#14 3 years ago

I agree with wxforecaster that it sounds like some sort of opto issue. Have you run a switch test with the balls in the pockets to see if they are flakey?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

With the original BSD opto board installed the game will not load a ball into the Mist pocket as the shooter ramp will not raise and the magnet continually travels from R to L and the L to R across the playfield.

I had this exact same problem and another pinsider had me order the homepin bd and that resolved it. Did you try cleaning the optos?
There is a lot of info on this in the BSD owners thread.
Good Luck

#16 3 years ago

The game has LED flashers and they're interfering with the optos. The first part of the mist test is to see if the flashers are interfering. They are and the game let you know.

You need to do some more testing in switch test, but changing the mist optos wouldn't hurt. They don't generally degrade much with age, but they're cheap. At least one side should also have an extra opto housing to block interference if I remember right. Look for empty screw holes near the optos.

#17 3 years ago

Thank you to everyone who replied and a special thanks to Tom Grobe who put up with a handful of phone calls from me and patiently walked me through the issue. I ended up replacing the right long opto (switch #82) after I had replaced the original WMS opto board with the Homepin 24" replacement opto board and now the Mist Ball is playing perfectly again.

I am not sure if just replacing the long range opto fixed the issue as I didn't go back and test the new opto with the original WMS opto board. All of the other errors that I was getting during the magnet test in diagnostic mode also went away with the new opto installed.

The proper behavior for the Mist ball if everything is working correctly is detailed in the thread posting listed below.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-clubmembers-only/page/153#post-6070782

Gord

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Thank you to everyone who replied and a special thanks to Tom Grobe who put up with a handful of phone calls from me and patiently walked me through the issue. I ended up replacing the right long opto (switch #82) after I had replaced the original WMS opto board with the Homepin 24" replacement opto board and now the Mist Ball is playing perfectly again.
I am not sure if just replacing the long range opto fixed the issue as I didn't go back and test the new opto with the original WMS opto board. All of the other errors that I was getting during the magnet test in diagnostic mode also went away with the new opto installed.
Gord

Hey Gord.
Where did you get the long range opto and would you list the part number please.
Cheers~ Steveo

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

Hey Gord.
Where did you get the long range opto and would you list the part number please.
Cheers~ Steveo

Is this hard to come by?

#20 3 years ago

Ah just saw this... I would have chimed in with some ideas.

congrats on fixing it.

I had a broken one years ago that was hard to chase down the issue also..... such a cool gimmick but super prone to getting borked up.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

Hey Gord.
Cheers~ Steveo

Hi @steve-o,

I pulled the transmitting opto out of my electronics parts stash. I had purchased the opto 7-11 years ago. I am pretty sure I purchased my optos from Marco Specialties or Pinball Life.

Original BSD Opto Part
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14315

Replacement Opto Transmitter
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16908
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-infared-led-opto-assembly-transmitter.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-infared-led-opto-assembly-set.html

Another BSD Long Range Opto Thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-bsd-opto-problem-%E2%80%93-out-of-ideas-please-help

Gord

P1020190 (resized).JPGP1020190 (resized).JPG
P1020191 (resized).JPGP1020191 (resized).JPG

Switch # 82 Part Number From BSD Manual

BSD_Switch_82.pdfBSD_Switch_82.pdf

#22 3 years ago

Thank you Gord!
I'm glad that you solved your Mist MB issue and hopefully with your info our BSD will be error free.
Cheers~ Steveo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 84.99
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-won-t-load-mist-ball-at-start-of-game?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.