Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BSD repair (resized).png
20200209_175928 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Have been slowly working my way through a very dated and unkempt #BSD for the last few months in my spare time. After hours of troubleshooting old boards with minor corrosion I decided it was time to replace all the questionable boards.

The sound board was one of the boards not replaced in the head, including the DMD board affixed to the back of the display itself. CPU, Driver board, FLIP, DMD controller boards all replaced, still, strange noise emmits from speakers and the pin fails to boot/display anything. Lights in their glory except D20 on the CPU board.

This pin was stored in a non climate, non animal controlled building, but is suprisingly in good shape. I just worry there may be a critical failure somewhere which I may be over looking, as it sat for some time (a decade or more.) Can't assume it'd be the transformer not supplying the proper output due to their resilience, so Im kind of lost!

Any thoughts, ideas and/or knowledge would be highly appreciated!

I have a video of the noises, but it is just some humming and crackling through the speakers, nothing exciting.

20200209_175928 (resized).jpg20200209_175928 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Hopefully it's not an illusion, but the first thing I noticed is the ribbon cable that goes from the DMD driver board directly to the CPU. The red stripe goes towards pin 1 on both boards. The red stripe on both larger ribbon cables should be up on the DMD driver board and to the left at the top of the CPU.

That ribbon cable appears to be upside down connected to the CPU top right. Rotate that one end around so that the red stripe is on the left side.

Try that and see if it boots.

#3 4 years ago

Get the MPU booting by itself first, unplug everything from it but the power plug from the driver board and power on. I’m assuming you are reusing your game rom, processor and asic chip from the original MPU? If so, double check that all the pins are seated properly and that the orientation of all chips, including the asic, is correct. Check asic is seated fully as well.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Hopefully it's not an illusion, but the first thing I noticed is the ribbon cable that goes from the DMD driver board directly to the CPU. The red stripe goes towards pin 1 on both boards. The red stripe on both larger ribbon cables should be up on the DMD driver board and to the left at the top of the CPU.

I agree. This end needs to be flipped around so the red stripe is on the left.

BSD repair (resized).pngBSD repair (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-won-t-boot-new-boards-any-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.