(Topic ID: 157370)

BSD - weird pop-out on LEFT wire frame (fixed)

By 27dnast

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

My BSD has this weird quirk...

the left VuK (for mystery hole and video mode) into the wire frame is coming so hard that the ball is bouncing out above the left outpost and top slingshot post. It then either drains the outlane, bounces back down the inlane, or falls down the front of the sling.

I've tried small adjustments to the end wire frame and raised it by adding a few washers to it's attachment to the sling area (in hopes that raising it would aim the ball more down and thus keep it from bouncing up).

Any ideas?

#2 8 years ago

Little bump - edited

#3 8 years ago

Post a video of the problem if you can.

#4 8 years ago

Ok...

1) First video is side view of ball coming out of wire form after a shot to the mystery hole. It comes out with so much force that the ball bounces out and down the out lane.

2) Second video is head-on view of ball coming out of wire form after a shot to the mystery hole. It comes out with so much force that the ball bounces out and drains sdtm.

3)Third video show what happens when the ball is hit up the coffin ramp. You can see it comes down the wire form and drops into the inlane without any issue. It works without a bounce-out 9/10 times (which makes me think the VUK is just kicking too hard).

This is a new problem...game was in storage for a year... set it up ...and this is happening.

??

#5 8 years ago

I have had this a few times when I had mine, but never thought too much about it. It felt like there was just too much backspin and it would hit the sling rubber and fire back. Maybe adjust the wireform where its attached to the sling pastic?

#6 8 years ago

watched the videos, maybe add a dampner at the end of the wireform?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I have had this a few times when I had mine, but never thought too much about it. It felt like there was just too much backspin and it would hit the sling rubber and fire back. Maybe adjust the wireform where its attached to the sling pastic?

I tried that...by placing several thick washers between the wire form attachment point and the sling plastic...probably raised it about 1/4-inch. Didn't seem to have any effect.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

watched the videos, maybe add a dampner at the end of the wireform?

I've thought about this. I guess another option would be to install a weaker coil for the VUK?

#9 8 years ago

How is the plunger striking the ball when ejecting it? Any adjustment in there? Not hitting it center could cause some spin. Maybe?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

How is the plunger striking the ball when ejecting it? Any adjustment in there? Not hitting it center could cause some spin. Maybe?

hmmm... interesting point. need to check

#11 8 years ago

Weaker coil installed will fix issue

#12 8 years ago

Agreed with big D. Weaker coil.

#13 8 years ago

Is there a chart somewhere showing coil strength (by model number) in a progressive order

#14 8 years ago

Curious about ^^^ the same for the flipper coils on my gottlieb big hurt ( would like them to be a bit stronger)

#15 8 years ago

Take a look at the current coil and post what the number is on it. I'm guessing you have a 23-800 in there. You could do a 23-850 or 900 and see what happens.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Curious about ^^^ the same for the flipper coils on my gottlieb big hurt ( would like them to be a bit stronger)

Don't put bigger coils in Big Hurt. You will ruin the game. Just do a good flipper rebuild. Replace the sleeve, links, and bushings. Gap properly and it will play great.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Don't put bigger coils in Big Hurt. You will ruin the game. Just do a good flipper rebuild. Replace the sleeve, links, and bushings. Gap properly and it will play great.

Have done the rebuild about 4 months ago...maybe I need to check the gap... good point. Thank EA!

#18 8 years ago

coil strengths will be in the manual.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

coil strengths will be in the manual.

Rule of thumb. Higher the number the weaker the coil.

#20 8 years ago

Does using a more powerful or weaker coil have any effect on the power driver board?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Does using a more powerful or weaker coil have any effect on the power driver board?

None

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I have had this a few times when I had mine, but never thought too much about it. It felt like there was just too much backspin and it would hit the sling rubber and fire back.

Watching the video it does look to me like backspin. Check the centering of the plunger as aobrien5 suggested. Also check the welds on the VUK mech.

I would make sure you have the proper coil installed, but see no reason to go to a softer coil rather than just solve the actual problem.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks for chiming in Terry.

I'll investigate this further...check the plunger, etc...really give it a good once-over. Honestly, the extent of my investigation had been on the topside...making sure the wire form was centered on the inlane (so the ball drop wasn't hitting the left or right sides of the lane) and trying to adjust the height of the ball drop.

I'll lift the hood and get my hands dirty.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate all of the feedback and thoughts.

#24 8 years ago

#25 8 years ago

Update: Checked out VUK assembly on BSD. Everything looked good. Next, switched out to less powerful coil, everything is now a-ok. Great tip, Bundy!

Also, cleaned switches/tweaked gaps on Frank...all is good.

Just another day of pinball ownership. )

Thanks for all of the input.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Update: Checked out VUK assembly on BSD. Everything looked good. Next, switched out to less powerful coil, everything is now a-ok. Great tip, Bundy!
Also, cleaned switches/tweaked gaps on Frank...all is good.
Just another day of pinball ownership. )
Thanks for all of the input.

What am I chop liver lol? I said weaker coil bc thats what I did to mine and others ive fixed

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Weaker coil installed will fix issue

Quoted from eabundy:

Agreed with big D. Weaker coil.

#28 8 years ago

LOL good work BidD! See you in a few weeks

#29 8 years ago

A special huge thanks to the man with the plan, the master of disaster, and certainly no chopped liver: bigD

High fives all the way around

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-weird-pop-out-on-right-wire-frame and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.