Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• BSD 92 votes
    45%
  • Wh20 114 votes
    55%

(206 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

STTNG & BSD #2 029.JPG
images-907.jpeg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Which to go after? I have only a few games on each, and liked both. Both get tons of respect.

Let's hear it from people who have owned both or have a lot of time on each.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Man that's a tough one, both great games, I play BSD most nights & its extremely hard especially trying to combine all 3 MB's, has one of the better video modes, has to be at the pointy end for Bung for buck pin under 2.5 IMO.
Can BSD last in a small collection of under 6 pins
buy both & ditch WCS

best of luck

#3 5 years ago

For longevity I went with BSD over my WH2O. Wh2O is a beautiful game but way too repetitive and beatable.

#4 5 years ago

haha.. Yeah, it's WCS or JM that would be on the chopping block. The lady like WCS so JM is odd man out.

#5 5 years ago

I would take WH2O over BSD any day. BSD is a one trick pony for me, and only lasted about 4 months in my gameroom. I like the game, but at other people's houses. WH20 I consider one of the top 3 pins of all time in my book.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

BSD is a one trick pony

<<Enter BLACK_ROSE>>

#7 5 years ago

I think you'll end up at a 50/50 split on this. Both of them are great games, so it will just be a matter of which each person likes. Even me, BSD is way better to me, but I have friends that would say the exact opposite. The good part is that is you decide wrong, it will sell again quickly and you can get the other.

#8 5 years ago

I own both, and as everyone mentions, both great games but quite different.

WH2O precision ramp shooting, fun game

BSD lining up for stacking multiballs

BSD is the more frustrating game for me, game of great heights and deep lows

As i see it, you can't go wrong either way

Good luck choosing one

#9 5 years ago

I too own both and while they are kinda two different types of games both are very fun. One thing that you might want to factor in is price a nice WH20 is about twice that of a BSD. With that being said I personally prefer my BSD to the WH20.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

<<Enter Blackrose>>

Go for a BR...............

#11 5 years ago

Can't go wrong with either game. I can't stand the theme of WH20, but the game play is fantastic. There isn't a thing I dislike about BSD, its a keeper in my book.

I'd go for BSD, simply because the price difference between the two would allow you to get a BSD and another 1K game in place of just WH20

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Go for a BR...............

I may. I'd like to get a really nice one if i did though. If only Chogs would drop his price a bit...

#13 5 years ago

WH2O by a mile...no question in my mind. Really hard to beat WH2O if you've played on really dialed in

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I may. I'd like to get a really nice one if i did though. If only Chogs would drop his price a bit...

He's had it for sale for quite awhile. It's not a bad price. Not much more than I paid for mine and in similar condition.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I may. I'd like to get a really nice one if i did though. If only Chogs would drop his price a bit

Have you tried dealing with Hugsc? I hear he is more reasonable.

#16 5 years ago

I spoke with the pin god this morning and he wished to know why we were even having this discussion.

images-907.jpeg

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

go for a Flintstones. Its a blast.

#18 5 years ago

It’s amazing for the little BSD has play wise that it is as addictive and long lasting with people that it is. It really goes against reason. I have one, and love it. I want a wh20 as well.

I want to say wh20 would likely be viewed as having more, and might be the better choice between the two, but both are solid well liked machines.

I will say there are few things as satisfying as lining up the 30 mil jackpots with all three MB's stacked in BSD, and hearing thiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrty million over and over!

#19 5 years ago

Owned both, bsd stayed

I picked up a pretty good Wh20 years ago for about 2300. Dialed it in, played the heck out of it, and sold it for 2500 a couple weeks later. I don't miss it at all. Its a very costly pin to restore and its a major pita to work on. Everything is buried. I hated the music and the kiddie theme drove me nuts. Just seemed too family friendly for me. The only reason i got one was because it ranked high and everyone seems to think its incredible. I stopped listen to people and reviews after that compulsive buy.

Bsd i bought because a friend had one. It was hard and i kept trying to get good at it. Im still trying. I found a super nice one 4 years ago for 2.5 (which was a lot) and i still have it. The playfield art sucks, its one of the worst games to shop, and it always seems to have something that needs to be fixed or re-dialed in. Its a tough game, fast, quick ball times, drain monster, music is ok, call outs and screams are bad ass, its got some balls, plus it half the cost imo.

I just think wh20 is tedious, overrated, overpriced costly turd. I find older family guys like it. Something you pick up for the kids if you got cash to burn or youre into the outdoor/redneck themes. Bad mistake, trial and error.

#20 5 years ago

BSD did not last long for me. I enjoy a difficult pin, but not one that makes me want to drive a wooden stake through the playfield.

#21 5 years ago

WH2O, hands down.

BSD is a good looking and fun machine, in it's own right but it just doesn't hold up to WH2O, IMO.

WH2O has such a good flow. Also a nice shot selection which tends to be on the easy side, but makes it a good player for everyone. Better get it quickly if you want it. The prices on these are rising daily. It's a hot pin right now. A great player that is overlooked often.

Plus, you can eventually do this!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-for-sale-or-trade

#22 5 years ago

Exactly what the director said I have had them both BSD stayed for 4 months whitewater will never leave and I have had it for 2 years.

#23 5 years ago

At one point I had WH2O, TOTAN, TZ and Stargate in my lineup. WH2O easily got 3x the play of all the others combined. It's great for guests that are nor pinball wizards. BSD is hard and offputting to casual players, much like TOTAN and TZ.

WH2O can have some challenge to hardcore players as well, such as stacking bonuses, completing Vacation planner. Man is it fun to be able to stack the 5x PF bonus with the multiball.

#24 5 years ago

It would be good to see a poll on this. I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer BSD. I've never owned either one but have played them both quite a bit. BSD is just so ass kicking hard, I think it would last in my collection longer. The Mist Ball is very unique and I don't really see anything on WH2O that compares to that. WH2O is a great game, but a little easier in the long run. Plus I think BSD has a cool theme that SO well integrated into the game.

#25 5 years ago

Man, I like your taste. 2 fantastic pins!

I'm on my 3rd BSD. Have yet to tire of it and I may never tire of it. Bought it 3 times for condition upgrades and finally have a really nice one. It's not the deepest game, but games don't need to be deep like WOZ or LOTR to be great. I could equate BSD to Tron in a sense that it's simple, fast, super challenging, killer theme, killer sounds, nothing else like it, overall a very slick and complete package. It is very addictive and definitely has that "one more game factor". It is not as approachable for guests, not as family friendly, and not everyone loved the movie, but I bought it for me, have no kids, and loved the movie. IMO best bang for the buck pin and one of the best pins ever.

I have yet to own WH2O, but have lots of play on it and have coveted one for a long time. Very different than BSD. More approachable for guests. More family friendly. The theme is unique, original, humorous, and puts a smile on your face. It looks great. It's fun. Good combos. Good flow. Great ramps. Good upper pf. IMO another one of the best pins ever. The only thing I don't like is how much I'll have to pay to get one. The price has really gone through the roofin the 4-5 years. To me, it is not worth 2 BSDs, but if price isn't an issue just pick the one that's a better fit for your house and your tastes.

#26 5 years ago

I have owned both and ended up selling the WH20 after about a year in order to try new machines. I miss it from time to time, but at the price it commands now I would rather have two more pins than a WH20. BSD was in my collection for about 4 months and for reasons others have stated, it left because it was so damn hard. After months of it not being around I realized that I made a mistake. I like games with short ball times and the one thing that makes you come back to it over and over is it kicks your ass! That one game that you do get everything going there is not a bigger rush in pinball!

#27 5 years ago

I own both.

BSD is a true "pinball player's game". It's got a simple ruleset with a very challenging dynamic. It does not take long to get into a fun, exciting game. I keep coming back to it over and over. Every shot in the game is very satisfying, and the mist multiball mechanism is one of the most creative engineering devices ever put on a playfield. BSD's video mode is also a lot of fun.

WH2O is a gorgeous-looking pinball machine with a fun theme, but the gameplay is very repetitive and boring IMO. It takes a LONG time to get anywhere exciting in the game. IMO, WH2O is like the "super mario world" of pinball games. You have to start over and over on every level jumping through the same hoops, over and over, over and over. I also think the integration of Bigfoot + whitewater rafting is kind of odd and clunky.

If there is any Bally/WMS game that I would rewrite the ruleset for, it would be Whitewater. I'd also add a shooter lane auto-plunger -- a mistake in the original design that means there is no ball save for multi-ball. The ruleset does not do justice to the really great playfield design. It's too linear and repetitive; there are too many underutilized areas of the playfield. It's probably my least-favorite Bally/WMS game, but it is popular and well-liked so I keep it around.

#28 5 years ago

For those that say BSD is too hard, I wonder if you have rebuilt your flippers. I have a friend that has a nice one, but flippers clearly have not been rebuilt, and since the left ramp is so important, and so steep, even if the flippers are at 80%, you are just unable to really do well on it.

#29 5 years ago

+1, flipper strength is critical on bsd. There is little room for error on this pin and if you can't consistently make the ramp shot or only make it half way and then sdtm, you are doomed to fail. I have yet to get all thre mbs going after abot 2 months of owning it, but I replaced the flipper plunger, springs and coil sleeves and it made a big difference. Went from loop champ of 14 to 21 almost immediately. I love the pin, so hard, but great callouts, dots and theme. Never liked wh20.

At half the price, bsd is a no brainer. You could get bsd and hs2 for wh20 money.

#30 5 years ago

BSD is for expert players only. If your family plays pinball with you WH2O is much more approachable. I love both of these games, but in a small collection WH2O is probably the better choice.

#31 5 years ago

Oddly enough, I've never thought of BSD as hard. I had lightning flippers on mine and always racked up good points. FT and DW with lightning flips I think is way harder than BSD

#32 5 years ago

I have both also (and a BR)

BSD is a kick you in the throat kinda game. Open out lanes, lightning flippers and 6-7 degree incline and it can be a bitch. When I had it (it's at the pinsitters right now) it was constantly..one more game..one more game when I played it. Then I would go a while without playing it. About once a week I'd stop by for my weekly ass kicking..and get hook into 15-20 games on it.

WH2O is less of bitch. I've seem to mastered mine and see Vacation Jackpot more often than not. It's a more relaxing game than BSD if that makes sense. It's kinda nice walking up to a game knowing you have a legitimate chance at getting through the software

When I step up to play BSD I literately think...'alright bitch..I'm gonna kick your ass' (and usually I don't). When I step up to play WH2O i'm like 'gee..I'd like to play a game of pinball today'

Ironically BR falls somewhere in between those.

So depending on what kind of game you looking for..it's still a tough choice.

If I could only have one I'd probably pick BSD..I'm liking the fast paced, short ball time games lately

My order would be
BSD (slightly in front)
WH2O
BR

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Oddly enough, I've never thought of BSD as hard. I had lightning flippers on mine and always racked up good points. FT and DW with lightning flips I think is way harder than BSD

Racking up points is different than getting all 3 mbs, are you able to do that consistently? If you can, you are an extremely good player. I'm a pretty good player, but the pin is very tough to beat. It's easier to get to Attack on the heliocarrier in avengers than it is to get three simultaneous mbs in bsd.

I had DW for 10 years, it's a tough pin too, but not as tough as bsd. In DW, the trick is to build the multiplier and then start mb. Scores go up very fast when you can do that.

#34 5 years ago

Bsd for a keeper but a friend of mine had a white water it was fun but the theme was crappy don't care for that stupid lookin yetti either .that being said I would like to have one go thru the collection at some point cuz the shots were fun so 50/50

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Racking up points is different than getting all 3 mbs, are you able to do that consistently? If you can, you are an extremely good player. I'm a pretty good player, but the pin is very tough to beat. It's easier to get to Attack on the heliocarrier in Avengers than it is to get three simultaneous mbs in bsd.
I had DW for 10 years, it's a tough pin too, but not as tough as bsd. In DW, the trick is to build the multiplier and then start mb. Scores go up very fast when you can do that.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I can get consistently good point games. Stacking all 3 MBs is not consistent.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

Owned both, bsd stayed
I picked up a pretty good Wh20 years ago for about 2300. Dialed it in, played the heck out of it, and sold it for 2500 a couple weeks later. I don't miss it at all. Its a very costly pin to restore and its a major pita to work on. Everything is buried. I hated the music and the kiddie theme drove me nuts. Just seemed too family friendly for me. The only reason i got one was because it ranked high and everyone seems to think its incredible. I stopped listen to people and reviews after that compulsive buy.
Bsd i bought because a friend had one. It was hard and i kept trying to get good at it. Im still trying. I found a super nice one 4 years ago for 2.5 (which was a lot) and i still have it. The playfield art sucks, its one of the worst games to shop, and it always seems to have something that needs to be fixed or re-dialed in. Its a tough game, fast, quick ball times, drain monster, music is ok, call outs and screams are bad ass, its got some balls, plus it half the cost imo.
I just think wh20 is tedious, overrated, overpriced costly turd. I find older family guys like it. Something you pick up for the kids if you got cash to burn or youre into the outdoor/redneck themes. Bad mistake, trial and error.

Finally some reason. WH20 is a turd of a game. Never understood why people like it. I remember the first time I played it thinking "why is this rated so high again??" Go BSD, all day long.

#37 5 years ago

WH20 for me...not a huge BSD fan. It's fun enough to play but I wouldn't want to own it.

#38 5 years ago

Both are currently overpriced for what they are... Both good games, though. If cost isn't a consideration, I'd take White Water.

#39 5 years ago

BSD hands down. . . . had both and BSD is still here

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

I just think wh20 is tedious, overrated, overpriced costly turd.

Oh,come on! That's a bit harsh isn't it?

I luv mine.One of the B/W classics of the early 90's .I'm not a very good player and it kicks ass a lot.The ball coming out of the boulder gardens,the kick out,the river letters,tricky skill shot,no multiball save/auto plunger.It keeps me coming back.A top home playing machine.

#41 5 years ago

Have both, and both are awesome! BSD is my favorite at the moment since I adjusted some settings and hooked it up to the subwoofer. Would not get rid of either one.

#42 5 years ago

Hey,

I will put this out there. I think WhiteWater lasted the shortest amount of time of any game that wound up in the house. I hate, hate, hate, haven't had the game for almost two years, and still HATE thinking about the ball hitting the glass coming off the Insanity Falls ramp. I hate that. It still makes me cringe. I hate it. It ranks up there with nails on a chalkboard or (to credit The Drew Carey Show) starting your car with a cat on the manifold. It just sounds wrong. The ball isn't supposed to hit the glass in a pinball game by design. Hate it.

And the fact that you have to run up the bonus multiplier to get ago the wizard mode means one of two things. You can shoot the standups and have the ball go all over the place, or you can shoot up the middle, return the ball to the right flipper, and shoot up the middle. 25 or 30 times. One of the three things you need to do to reach wizard mode just isn't fun at all. Real deal killer on an otherwise original and kinda cool game.

Luke

#43 5 years ago

Two different price points and different playing styles.
BSD is more challenging than WH2O, therefore more of long-term game, IMO.

If you're at the price point for a nice BSD, around $2500, then it's among the best pins you can get.
If you're at the Wh2O price point of $4000-$4500, then there's a slew of games that are as good or better, including the new Sterns for just a little more.

#44 5 years ago

I own both WH2O & BSD. I give the edge the WH2O.

I'm on my 2nd BSD. I bought one around 95'/96' (beautiful condition) when my 3 boys were 7-10yrs old. The theme was way to dark for it to be in my home. It had to go for that reason. Now they're grown and gone... it's back.

Hands down WCS is way better than JM, in my opinion

#45 5 years ago

I own both, neither is going anywhere anytime soon.

Buy both, you won't regret it!

#46 5 years ago

Wow. Wish I was in the NE. I just sold my very clean WH2O for $3K. And I made a nice profit on the deal, too!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I have both also (and a BR)
BSD is a kick you in the throat kinda game. Open out lanes, lightning flippers and 6-7 degree incline and it can be a bitch. When I had it (it's at the pinsitters right now) it was constantly..one more game..one more game when I played it. Then I would go a while without playing it. About once a week I'd stop by for my weekly ass kicking..and get hook into 15-20 games on it.
WH2O is less of bitch. I've seem to mastered mine and see Vacation Jackpot more often than not. It's a more relaxing game than BSD if that makes sense. It's kinda nice walking up to a game knowing you have a legitimate chance at getting through the software
When I step up to play BSD I literately think...'alright bitch..I'm gonna kick your ass' (and usually I don't). When I step up to play WH2O i'm like 'gee..I'd like to play a game of pinball today'
Ironically BR falls somewhere in between those.
So depending on what kind of game you looking for..it's still a tough choice.
If I could only have one I'd probably pick BSD..I'm liking the fast paced, short ball time games lately
My order would be
BSD (slightly in front)
WH2O
BR

I own a BSD and owned a WH2O and I agree 100% with this guy

#48 5 years ago

Even if you don't factor in cost, bsd is still the winner for me.

#49 5 years ago

Whitewater would be the last pin I would ever part with. All my others would go first. BSD is a great game though.

#50 5 years ago

3 in one row triple jackpot shots off the insanity fall on WH2O multi ball are the most satisfying shots of all pinballs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
East Aurora, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside