Topic poll

“Bsd vs Star Wars pro”

• Bsd 62 votes
    57%
  • Star Wars pro 47 votes
    43%

(109 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I'm considering purchasing a Star Wars pro but I'd have to sell one of my current games to make room. That game could very well be my bsd. 2 completely different games. Which would you rather own and why???

#2 5 years ago

BSD is badass in my little opinion. You can always sell it and get Star Wars later. Or vice versa.
I couldn’t stop playing BSD at a pinball show last week. I just loved the theme and gameplay.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I'm considering purchasing a Star Wars pro but I'd have to sell one of my current games to make room. That game could very well be my bsd. 2 completely different games. Which would you rather own and why???

The good news is you’d be replacing a brutal pin with another brutal pin

SW isn’t for everyone, but I personally love it. I dig it more than my other 2 pins. There’s a few minor things in the code that irritate me, but that really is minor. Truth is, when you pack a game with so much code and rules, there’s naturally something to complain about. Overall though, there’s so much to do and so much going on it has such a cool replay ability factor. Underrated game for sure.

#4 5 years ago

In my experience BSD was hands down one of the funnest DMD games I ever owned and it took a long time for me to tire of the cheesy artwork which is why I finally let it go.

SW on the other hand got a couple games out of me before I'd had enough. It shot alright, but to me this is a real terrible theme and have no idea why they had to rehash it again 40 years after the fact.

So I'd say pick whichever you could stand to look at day after day the longest.

#5 5 years ago

Bsd is better, IMO. Multi-multi Ball is awesome. Mist multiball is awesome. The call outs are awesome.
“I condemn you to a living death” great way to announce game over. Give any kid nightmares.....

#6 5 years ago

As much as I have been enjoying SW Premium lately, I would never sacrifice my BSD towards one.

#7 5 years ago

BSD would never leave my collection for Star Wars.

#8 5 years ago

I personally think BSD is a much better game than SW and BSD will never leave my collection. But, if you have had BSD for a long time and if you might be getting tired of it and want to change it up then I say do it.

#9 5 years ago

God damn insult to BSD, that's what this thread is.

#10 5 years ago

I’ve never played Star Wars and never want to.

But seriously, I have never played Star Wars and from everything I’ve heard about it, it seems to me very unappealing. Aside from the rather boring theme, the game is what I hope the future of pinball is not: zero toys, unimaginative playfield and extremely complicated video game-like rules.

BSD on the other hand is loaded with toys, has a very unique and imaginative playfield and ruleset and is based on one of my absolute favorite books (movie is just ok, I’m not sure if the screenplay author read the book, though).

#11 5 years ago

Tough choice. BSD is a pin that I regretted trading. However, I can see why Star Wars is on your mind, it’s a great game. Looking at your collection. I would ditch the bride 2.0 for a Star Wars and keep the BSD.

#12 5 years ago

No way would I swap my BSD for any version of Star Wars.

However - for a location, a newer pin may bring you in more money. Better licence, better familiarity, new flashy machine with bright lights .... more money in the cash box. So for you, you should do it.

rd

#13 5 years ago

We had BSD in our lineup & it only lasted a month. Besides Mist Multiball, everything else grew repetitious & stale very quickly. Was very intrigued by the theme at first, but the shallow rules made this machine simply sub-par. Yes, stacking multiballs was fine, but it ended there.
SW's on the other hand is another deep seated rule play machine by Stern, that allows you to really explore the journey that is ten miles deep. Recently, we've had a series of modern day Stern's & every machine was in the least very good. In a home environment, SW's would easily be my choice for an absolute challenge related to gameplay. We've had or have in our lineup ~ RBION, Mustang, TWD, WPT, Metallica, ST, etc. >>> All these Stern titles are excellent choices for home play & will keep you intrigued & entertained for a very long time. We will rotate SW's into the lineup in the very near future! Looking forward>>>

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

God damn insult to BSD, that's what this thread is.

Thats some funny shit.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

We had BSD in our lineup & it only lasted a month. Besides Mist Multiball, everything else grew repetitious & stale very quickly. Was very intrigued by the theme at first, but the shallow rules made this machine simply sub-par. Yes, stacking multiballs was fine, but it ended there.
SW's on the other hand is another deep seated rule play machine by Stern, that allows you to really explore the journey that is ten miles deep. Recently, we've had a series of modern day Stern's & every machine was in the least very good. In a home environment, SW's would easily be my choice for an absolute challenge related to gameplay. We've had or have in our lineup ~ RBION, Mustang, TWD, WPT, Metallica, ST, etc. >>> All these Stern titles are excellent choices for home play & will keep you intrigued & entertained for a very long time. We will rotate SW's into the lineup in the very near future! Looking forward>>>

Quoted from Eskaybee:

The good news is you’d be replacing a brutal pin with another brutal pin
SW isn’t for everyone, but I personally love it. I dig it more than my other 2 pins. There’s a few minor things in the code that irritate me, but that really is minor. Truth is, when you pack a game with so much code and rules, there’s naturally something to complain about. Overall though, there’s so much to do and so much going on it has such a cool replay ability factor. Underrated game for sure.

I like BSD and I’m currently looking for one but I do agree with both these guys! SW has a lot going on and I think it’s a damn good shooter! I do have small complaints against it like better screen clips and animations and still not wild about the playfield art but rules and game play are great.

#16 5 years ago

I can't believe we are even having this discussion.

The only way BSD is ever leaving my collection is if I upgrade it to a nicer one. It has fantastic flow, great multi-balls, bats/rats bonuses, the mist ball feature, etc.

Granted, the art package is a hot mess (what's with that playfield?), call outs and music are cheesy, guy in the coffin looks like Ron Jeremy - but that's all part of the magic. And yes, I know I can replace RJ Dracula with a mod - but he's kind of grown on me and I think I would miss him.

#17 5 years ago

They are at opposite ends of the spectrum rules wise, so I would go BSD because you need a doctorate in nerdology to figure out SW. BSD is also cheaper and cheaper is better.

#18 5 years ago

Looking at your collection, I would get rid of Funhouse...Like said before, BSD is badass!!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

They are at opposite ends of the spectrum rules wise, so I would go BSD because you need a doctorate in nerdology to figure out SW. BSD is also cheaper and cheaper is better.

Wouldn't this make SW the better pin to have in a home environment? At least it has for me so far; I did not like it on location pretty much for what you just said; but holy hell, it's bad ass once you start to learn it. Takes hundreds of plays, but the layers keep peeling and peeling, never-ending.

Ultimately I think it depends what kind of pin the op enjoys. SW shines on Brutality with speed, flow, quick progressing breadth-like ruleset yet very deep with strategy. A players wet dream for sure; but if that's not your thing I can see why a more simple pin would be more appealing.

#20 5 years ago

Interesting comparison. I have owned BSD . Maybe the ultimate players game. Stacking,Mist magnet, great callouts compared to a newer Stern (that I presently own) that has multiple ways to play, the newer LCD screen and pretty complicated rules.

I would expect most people to go BSD here on Pinside considering its heritage that is rightly deserved. Before selling a classic DMD B/W game I always consider its condition and can I replace if I want down the road.If its an average condition game and I get fair price compared to what I payed it is easier for me to let it go as I can always replace. But if it is a really good condition BSD ( no/minimal red fade) no planking. I would not sell to buy any game.

That being said, if you are convinced it is time for BSD to go ( I got there once), SW pro is a pretty fun game. Lots of shots, lots of modes, a decent video mode. Tied pretty well to the Star Wars theme ( if you are into that), Upgraded sound (replaced BB speakers, powered sub) make a difference and the sound is pretty good as well. This is a game you need to spend some time learning the rules which you can find a decent write up on line.

#21 5 years ago

No comparison, BSD all the way.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

call outs and music are cheesy, guy in the coffin looks like Ron Jeremy

Pin Sound! The music in the mix I use is amazing in my BSD.

And as for this thread... Ha! BSD by a mile. I love Stern games, but Star Wars really didn’t bring anything special to me. I understand why some like it, but I’m at that point where a game really has to blow my skirt up for me to make space for it in the house. BSD still brings it. Mine setup a little bitchy, which is what BSD needs to keep it interesting.

#23 5 years ago

the voting seems pretty close and most of the replies don't surprise me too much.
Its not that I'm tired of BSD but I'd need to make room if SW pro comes in. I could never part with my stunning BOP2.0 or FH as some of you have said. These are the games that got me and my friends into pinball back in the day so there's a nostalgia factor there.
Don't think I'd have too much trouble selling my BSD as its condition is pretty good. Minor and I mean minor fade on the right side , new plastics, ramps, modfather painting , brocks coffin mod , tombstone mod and a HSA stage 2 playfield that has yet to be installed.
I like the Star Wars theme, LOVE the LCD display along with the light show and flow.id have a lot to learn with the rules.
Guess time will tell...

#24 5 years ago

Couldn’t wait to sell bsd. Found it to be a snooze fest.

#25 5 years ago

I would never sell BSD for starwars. BSD is awesome, starwars is kinda meh.

#26 5 years ago

Bsd is fun, but for a home collection SW is the better choice.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

BSD isn't for everyone just like SW. But the beauty of starting 3 multiballs at once and cracking jackpots is one of the greatest moments on ANY pinball machine, EVER. SW appeals more to the deep ruleset guy and BSD is more pure pinball with a tough to set up climax.

#28 5 years ago

Both can be fun and really frustrating with fast drains. I think SW is overall more fun with the deeper code and multipliers. BSD is a classic so I wouldn't part with unless you are really ready to let it go.

#29 5 years ago

oh how the times have changed. BSD used to get no love and you had a hard time moving them for $800 for a very long time.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

oh how the times have changed. BSD used to get no love and you had a hard time moving them for $800 for a very long time.

Sign of the times for sure.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

BSD isn't for everyone just like SW. But the beauty of starting 3 multiballs at once and cracking jackpots is one of the greatest moments...

it's one of the most overrated for sure. BSD is a low level WPC game, it has it's 30 million schtik and yada yada

#32 5 years ago

Ya, not everyone can play bsd. Its ok, we understand.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Ya, not everyone can play bsd. Its ok, we understand.

Challenge accepted. Anytime you make it back to Michigan we'll have our own tourney!

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

it's one of the most overrated for sure. BSD is a low level WPC game, it has it's 30 million schtik and yada yada

You won't be offended if I give that a thumbs down, will you? BSD is an amazing game that kicks your butt each time you play it. Is it a one trick pony? Sure, that that trick is freaking awesome.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You won't be offended if I give that a thumbs down, will you? BSD is an amazing game that kicks your butt each time you play it. Is it a one trick pony? Sure, that that trick is freaking awesome.

Ha, of course not. People love it's trick, tons of people, just not me.
To be fair it has the mist ball schtik too which is great.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Challenge accepted.

I hope you know using full length flippers is considered cheating.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hope you know using full length flippers is considered cheating.

I'd use the smallest flippers I could find just to stop playing it quicker.

#38 5 years ago

I deeply regret selling my BSD. Stern to this day still can't make a game that even comes close to 90's B/W games.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Stern to this day still can't make a game that even comes close to 90's B/W games.

My sentiments exactly. They are like new cars. They all come with that new car smell and are priced accordingly, but after a few months the novelty wears off and it is time to trade them in on something else.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Challenge accepted. Anytime you make it back to Michigan we'll have our own tourney!

Lol, that would be a blast!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I deeply regret selling my BSD. Stern to this day still can't make a game that even comes close to 90's B/W games.

I strongly disagree with that. They’ve made some of the best players games in history.

However, Star Wars is not one of those games.

I’m sure it would be a good earner for the OP though.

rd

#42 5 years ago

I prefer B/W but i do like to keep 2 Sterns in my 9 pin collection. I like the variety .

#43 5 years ago

Double

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

This ^^

#45 5 years ago

Have been and will get some more
games in on Star Wars on location ( River Works and Pocketeer for the local crowd) to help me decide.
Meanwhile I'm not sure if should go ahead and have the HSA playfield installed or maybe sell it with BSD if it goes that route

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 21.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-vs-star-wars-pro?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.