You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is a better game between BSD and Judge Dredd?”

• BSD 87 votes
    50%
  • Judge Dredd 59 votes
    34%
  • I don't know, I haven't played them both, but I do like to vote in polls. 17 votes
    10%
  • I am casting a vote for the one in my collection so I may be biased and recognize that so I clicked this one. 11 votes
    6%

(174 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mars_Attacks_Judge_Dredd.jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Without any doubt bsd!

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I think there is too many points given for the castle jack with all three going to say that the scoring is balanced on this game. The game doesn't give out any big points for anything other than that one shot. Just my opinion.

The jackpots are only 10mil until you start stacking them. The other big points is getting Bats Bonus early in the game. The video mode is in that same order of magnitude as jackpots.. the ball in the hole, etc.. everything is in that few million to 10 million range. Then once you start stacking and getting everything rocking at once.. you get 30million a shot. That's pretty linear and balanced.

Unlike other DMDs of the era.. there are no modes to distract you or slow the game down (sans the video mode). BSD is like a SS before it... its all about the combinations and doing it all without blowing it. You blow it.. you lose.

BSD took a lot of hate for a decade because it was so single purpose compared to other games of the era - but it strives as a players game and rewarding good play.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

One of my buddies has lightening on his game; another has standards (I don't own the game yet, I have one on order with a restorer who is trying to source one for me). I like it better with the standards . . . the game is brutal enough with them. I hear what your saying though.

Correct flippers or go home! Lightnings and solid shots to the left ramp are good. When the mechs are gunked up and the flippers worn out.. it can be tough. Otherwise its all about a clean shot.. no bouncers get up that ramp.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Unlike other DMDs of the era.. there are no modes to distract you or slow the game down

I would argue that bats and rats are modes . . . they certainly distract you but don't slow the game down. I like the video mode on BSD too.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

are you playing with standard or lightnings? I can only hit the left ramp maybe 50% of the time with the lightnings.

Agreed. Lightening flippers change that shot from easy to tough.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I would argue that bats and rats are modes . . . they certainly distract you but don't slow the game down. I like the video mode on BSD too.

Those are hurry-ups in my book

#58 10 years ago

BSD is work, JD is mindless fun. I honestly think i sold the wrong pin. I don't think i'll find another one for $1200 in anywhere near the shape mine was in. Oh well, no big deal as this is only pinball.

I think both games are great but BSD is maybe a tad overrated right now and JD is just getting the credit it deserves.

As far as the lightning vs. standard flips goes, I might switch mine to regulars. I prefer doing things the way the original designer intended vs. what some money grubbing french arcade owner forced WMS to do to the game in order for it to earn better. That's just me, though.

#59 10 years ago

I own BSD and spent a ton of time playing JD at MGC. I hadn't played JD before and was looking forward to it based on reviews, the art package, the depth, etc. JD just has a ton going on and when you look at BSD you see a pretty sparse playfield which makes you wonder what there really is to it. But, then you play the games...

I found that the depth and features of JD ended up being distracting and took away from the enjoyment of playing. Everyone talks about the dead world mod and it looks great, but it's a bit slow and reminds me a little of waiting for the gloves on JM. I wanted to like it, I expected to like it, but it just didn't 'take' with me.

As for BSD, you walk up not expecting as much and you're probably not going to get much at first. Honestly, I couldn't believe how quickly I would drain (not just time wise, but speed wise...that ball MOVES on this game). But, after several more plays I got into a rhythm and saw a brief glimpse behind the curtain. It can be frustrating and it can spin-kick your ego, but it will make you a better player and, out of spite, you'll hit that start button and believe that this time will be different. Brilliant.

#60 10 years ago

Have both. There really is no comparison.

JD has lots going on but leaves you feeling rather "meh" once the game ends. The multiball "mini wizard" modes are pretty boring, Ramp, subway, ramp subway. Final Challenge is just a score-fest, no real "challenge" going on. That said, JD is a lot of pinball for the money and a nice *different* pin to have.

Now BSD, when the flippers are working as they should, (lightning only) is a challenging pin that rewards you in a huge way when you get it going. Great theme integration. Honestly, anyone that doesn't *get* BSD probably needs to practice more so they can actually play it all the way through. BSD is very full of that special, "Just One More Game" charisma. It keeps drawing you back, putting a spell on you.

Dredd just has a granny shooting a shotgun while some very lame music plays at the end.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

JD has lots going on but leaves you feeling rather "meh" once the game ends.

Quoted from GaryMartin:

Dredd just has a granny shooting a shotgun while some very lame music plays at the end.

If that's how you truly feel, why do you even own it? Time to pass that thing on to someone who enjoys it.

#62 10 years ago

JD is the type of game you have to get. I counted 40% of the people on this thread that spoke critically toward it, hasn't owned it. Not saying that means a whole lot, but in this case, you are comparing a game that's really easy to get to a game that takes a little longer to figure out, that'll skew the numbers.

I think part of the reason JD gets a bad rep is because people don't take the time to get it.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

JD gets a bad rep is because people don't take the time to get it.

I get it.

#64 10 years ago

Sure, but you are also partial to it I think JD takes a bunch of plays to get, possibly more than some people have based their opinions on.

Also, the audio is huge in the game. Play it 200 times on location, and if the audio is low that's going to affect how you feel about it.

None of those things are an issue in your house.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Title says it all, which game is better and why?

Judge Dredd. Played both games and I voted with my wallet and got a Dredd. One of the best, if not the best, bang for the buck games out there. BSD is good, but it is so shallow and all about stacking all 3 multiballs. JD has a ton going on and I am all about depth and a challenge when it comes to pins.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I think JD takes a bunch of plays to get,

The first time I saw it in 1993, I noticed the Supergame option. I threw in my dollar and hit the green button. The volume wasn't that high. I put the high score on that machine and continued to play it for hours. I got it.

#67 10 years ago

JD "Rocks" - deeper than BSD and lots more going on IMO

#68 10 years ago

Bsd is a 2k game now. There is a reason it's in tournaments. Highly addictive and cool theme.

Jd is just ok. Not even a 1 k game. Has issues.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

JD "Rocks" - deeper than BSD and lots more going on IMO

Heavier too.

#71 10 years ago

Dredd is my only machine. I bought it recently after reading all the reviews for the bang for the buck if you only had one pin. I admit at first I thought it only so-so. Being my only game I've been playing a lot and now I LOVE this pin. When I go to the Pyramid Scheme where they have 25 games, I always leave there thinking how I would not trade my machine for most there (really only AFM and MM I like better). In fact, about every time I play a machine somewhere I always think, "it's not as good as my Dredd". I only played BSD a couple times at a collectors house but he had so many other great games there I really don't remember it other than thinking "that was kind of fun".

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

I only played BSD a couple times at a collectors house but he had so many other great games there I really don't remember it other than thinking "that was kind of fun".

BSD is all about the challenge and the satisfaction of meeting the challenge. It doesn't have a lot to entertain the flailers or the types that want a lot to look at. It's a very single track game.. but a very rewarding one.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

BSD is all about the challenge and the satisfaction of meeting the challenge. It doesn't have a lot to entertain the flailers or the types that want a lot to look at. It's a very single track game.. but a very rewarding one.

Agreed. Def not a pin that you can just bang the ball around and have a good time. Requires patience and effort. The rewards are awesome though.

#74 10 years ago

I get "it" too. I've owned both.JD is like others have said mindless fun.No real goal or sense of acheivement but fun.BSD is a players game.Miss a shot-you die.BSD wins

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

I get "it" too. I've owned both.JD is like others have said mindless fun.No real goal or sense of acheivement but fun.BSD is a players game.Miss a shot-you die.BSD wins

How can it be said there is no goal in JD? I have a few goals each game. Try to collect 7 crime scenes to get extra ball targets lit. Complete all the modes (easier said than done), then Ultimate Challenge (then try to beat that). Or simply get multiball going & hit some jackpots. Then supergame itself has some different objectives. JD is extremely goal driven, never once have I played it just for mindless fun. Its always challenging & there is always more I can achieve. Also just finishing some of the modes in itself is a goal sometimes & hard to do.

I wonder if it is true that some people just never took the time to "get it" & only batted the ball around on one a few times. JD is pretty deep & complex to pick up on everything on just a few plays. Not everybody has to like it, but saying there are no goals or that its just mindless fun isn't really accurate.

#76 10 years ago

Dredd sucks compared to BSD, what is with these stupid threads where a "c" game is compared to BSD? BSD is a top notch "B+" lister

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Dredd sucks compared to BSD, what is with these stupid threads where a "c" game is compared to BSD? BSD is a top notch "B+" lister

JD is a top 20 game all time at IPDB, & most of those ratings came before the deadworld mod that enhanced the game (& ratings keep steadily rising ever since the mod became commonplace). Fine if you think its a "c" game, but understand that most people don't feel that way. I think both these games are good, just different. If you want something more linear & don't mind the repetition, then go BSD. If not, go JD.

#78 10 years ago

JD is a great game.

Fast, wicked flow, super art, super dots, cool music, cool topper, dark humor, and kids love the instant multiball Super Game.

But JD is not an easy game, especially the multiball. I have only beaten the Dark Judges once since owning the game. But you are able to choose your modes, which is great for strategies/favorites.

I've played BSD when it first came out in the arcades and a few times in the last few years. I really dig the sounds, call-outs and Mist ball but haven't given it that much attention. It's okay.

My vote goes to Trudeau.

#79 10 years ago

My very first pinball game was a Judge Dredd. Sold it years ago, am not looking for one again. BSD is high on my acquire list.

JD is fun.

BSD is for the players.

Both are good games, the desire comes through the prism of the pinball collector.

KMR

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

JD is like others have said mindless fun.

Good stuff!!!

#81 10 years ago

I voted option 4 but with all the JD bashing change my vote for JD.

1 month later
#82 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

If that's how you truly feel, why do you even own it? Time to pass that thing on to someone who enjoys it.

I didn't say that I thought Dredd sucks, I was just making a comparison to BSD. Dredd is a fun game, that's why I own one.

It's just NOT in the same league as BSD. Period.

People that knock BSD must not have ever "got it" either. To get all three multi balls going while staying alive on that tough sucker is a thrill that Dredd just cannot generate no matter how hard it tries.

Again, I'm not saying Dredd is bad, it's a very good game. It's just not as much fun as BSD when you're in the groove.

#83 10 years ago

Never got into JD. Thought the game was boring. The game has some good flow but that is all I can say anything good about it. The main MB is fun but the rest of the gameplay is uninspired IMHO.

#84 10 years ago

Judge Dredd wins, hands down. Now who's next?

Mars_Attacks_Judge_Dredd.jpgMars_Attacks_Judge_Dredd.jpg

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from EZG:

you'll hit that start button and believe that this time will be different. Brilliant.

You got it. I spent a lot of time playing in late 80s early 90s and was lucky to live near a location with lots of different pins. BSD is the one I bought 20 years later though. Love the theme, and even watched the movie despite Keanu Reeves doing a Dick Van-Dyke English accent

Room for another one though...

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

JD is the type of game you have to get. I counted 40% of the people on this thread that spoke critically toward it, hasn't owned it. Not saying that means a whole lot, but in this case, you are comparing a game that's really easy to get to a game that takes a little longer to figure out, that'll skew the numbers.
I think part of the reason JD gets a bad rep is because people don't take the time to get it.

<<<Applause>>> Great post! I agree 100%.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Bsd is a 2k game now. There is a reason it's in tournaments. Highly addictive and cool theme.
Jd is just ok. Not even a 1 k game. Has issues.

Not even $1k? Really? Show me a decent condition one for $1k or less. I will buy it and so will the other 200 people reading this thread likely. You may not believe this but JD is every bit of a $2k game and by year end 2013 will likely (in my opinion) be a $3k game min. $1k is not even close to realistic as of June 12, 2013...please admit to that!

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Not even $1k? Really? Show me a decent condition one for $1k or less. I will buy it and so will the other 200 people reading this thread likely. You may not believe this but JD is every bit of a $2k game and by year end 2013 will likely (in my opinion) be a $3k game min. $1k is not even close to realistic as of June 12, 2013...please admit to that!

I agree JD is a 2k game. I don't think many pins will continue to inflate this year though, could be wrong but I don't see it hitting 3k by the end of the year.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree JD is a 2k game. I don't think many pins will continue to inflate this year though, could be wrong but I don't see it hitting 3k by the end of the year.

Yeah you are likely correct. I am projecting a little too optimistic for $3k by year end. Maybe $3k by summer 2014...I dunno. Glad we agree that it is a solid $2k title in the right condition currently...I don't see how it could ever sell $1k in today's market...maybe 2008 when the global economy was going down the tubes. Not anymore though, $1,800 min but really $2k is the legit value point!

Peace!

#90 10 years ago

Used to own it. My very first game actually. It's a decent game. But it is not a great game. Not by a mile. BSD is a solid game that will always offer a challenge to even the best of players. That's why BSD is the clear winner in this comparison in my book.

KMR

#91 10 years ago

Sold my dread with no regreats, still play my bsd daily.

#92 10 years ago

No contest, BSD is by far a better pin, only problem is everyone of them have a Gremlin living inside it

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

No contest, BSD is by far a better pin, only problem is everyone of them have a Gremlin living inside it

I think citronella oil keeps the gremlins away. It's what I use in mine...

#94 10 years ago

I don't get the BSD love. Dreary playfield, uninspired back box art, a wretched theme. On the other hand, Dredd has a very '90's, cartoony appeal, attractive art package and some good, dark humor.

But this proves that pinball tastes vary, which I'm glad for.

#95 10 years ago

For me...it's BSD. I've played a JD and even though I like comic book themed pins.....JD didn't keep me coming back to play. It didn't have me thinking, "man I need to own a JD"......BSD did on the other hand.

Rats, bats, and dracs!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-vs-judge-dredd/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.