• Iron Man 81 votes
    42%

(191 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1421157061471.jpg
1421156782691.jpg
combined(screen).jpg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Here are two brutally hard games. If set up properly, you're looking at short ball times. Very similar in that nature. Not terribly deep, either. But fun...fun...fun.

This isn't a buying advice thread...just a comparison.

So, which one has the "it" factor over the other?

#2 9 years ago

Dracula has the best gimmick in all of pinball, and a play field packed with features and subways. Iron man is a barren wasteland in comparison.

#3 9 years ago

BSD THIIIRRRRTTYYYY MILLLIIIIOONNNN!!!!!!!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Dracula has the best gimmick in all of pinball, and a play field packed with features and subways. Iron Man is a barren wasteland in comparison.

That's one of the cool aspects of BSD. Subways.

"Pinball Magic" !!!

#6 9 years ago

I own both and both are awesome games, but BSD gets the nod for me...

combined(screen).jpgcombined(screen).jpg
#7 9 years ago

They are both similar in that they are difficult, fast playing, short ball time games.

I owned bsd for 6 months and sold it because it's a one trick pony and didn't like the lack of depth and shot variety. Iron man is much tougher with a moderately deeper rule set and has more going on. Value wise, bsd is half the price and probably better bang for the buck. If price isn't an issue, IM.

#8 9 years ago

I also own both of them, and they are both great games. Right this moment I'd pick a IM, but that is just because it's the new guy in my house. If I played a few games on BSD I'm sure I'd remember that it's one of the greatest games ever made. So whichever you go with, there is no w won't answer. Both of them have that thing that makes gals stand above everything else.

#9 9 years ago

I wonder if folks voting are dividing down the ole' Stern vs Williams fans?

#10 9 years ago

This is tough. They're placed side by side on location near me, and both are favorites of mine that would be in my dream line-up. Dracula feels a bit more brutal to me, and I love it for that. The gimmick is fun.

#11 9 years ago

Off topic a bit but....The zipper flippers were driving me crazy on BSD so I recently installed some regular blood red flipper bats for the look and play.Guess what BSD is even more difficult as the ball moves much faster.Such a bitch of a game.Can't stop playing it.

#12 9 years ago

I really like the lightning flippers, i got em on whirlwind too.

#13 9 years ago

I have had them both . IM lasted 3 months and was fun but I hit a wall with it after beating it a couple of times. I am on my second BSD and really like it and the theme and music/call-outs are some of the best in pinball. BSD is a little better and cheaper.

#14 9 years ago

BSD is the only game I've owned twice. Sold it the first go cuz I wasn't good enough and got tired of almost getting thirrrrty million.

#15 9 years ago

I have owned IM twice and BSD three times. I no longer own IM; however, I never plan to sell my BSD. IM is a great fast game, but BSD is awesome, from the mist ball to stacking multiballs for 30 Million. I have done some crazy lighting enhancements to my BSD and the game is just beautiful to look at.

With that said, I picked up and AC/DC Pro yesterday...this game puts IM and BSD to shame when it comes to brutal speed!

#16 9 years ago

I have a IMVE and a BSD side by side. I love them both. Would be really hard to pick but if forced I probably would keep the BSD.

#17 9 years ago

BSD... mine will be showing up soon.

#18 9 years ago

BSD. Im a little biased, of course. but I have played them both and I just think BSD is better than most top rated games. I got rid of a TZ just to have BSD. No regrets. It is the better game.

Outside of the mist ball, BSD doesn't really rely on toys, gimmicks, or mods. It's straight forward pinball with a dark edge to it. It kicks your ass most of the time, but you'll have that certain game where everything just falls into place and it's such a rush. Fellow BSD owners know what I mean.

It may not be a direct answer to the OP, but go take a look at the amount of wanted ads in the Pinside market for BSD compared to IM.

#19 9 years ago

Own both, IM is a really good game but BSD is so much better. 100% of family/guests disagree, but what do they know

#20 9 years ago

Ironman gets my vote..It totally kicks my ass!!!!

#21 9 years ago

Owned both. Owned BSD twice actually. Owned IM once, but another is on the radar.

Really tough call. Both are very similar in that they are brutal and fast if set up properly.

Both have their own unique gimmicks. Both make excellent use of magnets which I'm a big fan of. BSD is just fast as anything, but I think the magnets in IM introduce a huge amount of risk and random elements.

Personally I've been leaning towards some Sterns lately for gameplay. Also, personally, the IM theme makes the game slightly better.

But, that said, price is a factor too. A decent BSD can be had for a grand or more less than a nice IM.

#22 9 years ago

BSD for me, I've played both and both are great but BSD keeps me coming back as it kicks your butt!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Off topic a bit but....The zipper flippers were driving me crazy on BSD so I recently installed some regular blood red flipper bats for the look and play.Guess what BSD is even more difficult as the ball moves much faster.Such a bitch of a game.Can't stop playing it.

Zipper flippers are old school gimmick where flippers move closer. I think you mean Lightning Flippers. Just a minor clarification. I would have to choose BSD. Its fun fast great call outs and theme. I've owned 2 should of never sold my first one. Iron I've only played at shows and it didn't grab me like BSD

#24 9 years ago

My BSD is going on 6 year's N the GRG this coming October. I bought it from Robertme for $ 900.00
TWD Pro is fun as well. To be Honest I'm Not playing BSD as much as I should. But it's a Keeper !!
Check out my BSD coin-door sticker ,, , PM if yr interested !!

1421156782691.jpg1421156782691.jpg
1421157061471.jpg1421157061471.jpg

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Dracula has the best gimmick in all of pinball, and a play field packed with features and subways. Iron Man is a barren wasteland in comparison.

Well said.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Personally I've been leaning towards some Sterns lately for gameplay.

Funny you say this...but I've been increasingly feeling this way too. They just feel fun.

#27 9 years ago

i love iron man but it is "just another fan". BSD is singularly unique with it's rules and shot layout. I own both, would sell IMVE after 5 months but will not sell BSD until i know i'm done with pinball as a hobby. I haven't played any of my games since before thanksgiving, so maybe that's coming soon. lol.

#28 9 years ago

I voted for IM because the music and sound effects draw you into the game much more. Gameplay wise, I would say they are very close.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I voted for IM because the music and sound effects draw you into the game much more. Gameplay wise, I would say they are very close.

You had IM at one time...why the sell?

#30 9 years ago

BSD - nothing like stacking up multi-balls
Also, the call outs in BSD are some of the best!

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You had IM at one time...why the sell?

I used it as part of a trade to get my Tron LE, a game which I like way more.

#32 9 years ago

BSD is just a WAY cooler machine. IM is a lot of fun to play. Fast, and punishing.

As stated above Mist Multiball is one of the coolest mechs in all of Pinball.

I just think BSD has so much character. The gothic horror art, the creepy sounds, the brutal simplicity of it. It's a much more interesting machine for me.

I would say that as a generalization, my preference leans more towards modern Stern's for code depth, speed and flow... but BSD is a special case for me. I fell in love with it at Modern Pinball NYC, confirmed my "need" to own it at Texas last year, and I can't imagine it ever leaving my collection.

All that said, I think IM has a broader appeal. BSD is more of a pinball geeks game.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Give me a barren wasteland! I don't like subways, or giant plastic rock formations hiding scoops. Iron Man never hides the ball for a second; one more reason I love it.

BSD is great too, I just don't care for the clutter.

#34 9 years ago

Tough choice... bought both last year, so both new to me.. I'm going going with BSD

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

BSD - nothing like stacking up multi-balls
Also, the call outs in BSD are some of the best!

For sure! "VIIIIIIIINCE!!"

Quoted from yancy:

Iron Man never hides the ball for a second; one more reason I love it.

The ramps hide the ball. OK.... maybe it's only a fraction of a second...

#36 9 years ago

Dracula is just too good

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

My BSD is going on 6 year's N the GRG this coming October. TWD Pro is fun as well. To be Honest I'm Not playing BSD as much as I should. But it's a Keeper !!
Check out my BSD coin-door sticker ,, , PM if yr interested !!

1421156782691.jpg 246 KB

1421157061471.jpg 140 KB

I'm with Black Rose on this. BSD and HSII are his keepers. I've got my HSII. On the lookout for a project BSD at a reasonable price. These are my two favorite "bargain" WPC's.

#38 9 years ago

Check out Kneissl play-n my BSD last year , i started film-n him 1/2 way thru his game Play !!

He Didn't beat my Grand Champ- Score , except for Loop Champ ,, " What a Show BSD Has "

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Check out Kneisel play-n my BSD last year , i started film-n him 1/2 way thru his game Play !!
He Didn't beat my Grand Champ- Score , except for Loop Champ ,, " What a Show BSD Has "
» YouTube video

I'm still pumped up from that game.

#40 9 years ago

BSD is just .... I hate it but love it so much. It is the ultimate "risk vs reward" on how well your aim is on key shots. It's dark and mean, and I like that. You can't just flip the ball all around and rack up millions. You really have to know what is going on to put up a solid score on BSD.

I have a pretty beat up cabinet - not going to lie - but I will not let go of mine. It has easily been the most upkeep due to the neglect it experienced before I got a hold of it, but it is smoothing out more and more. The only way I would let go of mine is if someone found me another one for me to buy, and I buy it and bring it home. Then I would let go of my current machine.....

Just too much fun of a game to even risk selling mine and have to wait for another one to pop up.

#41 9 years ago

Owned an IM and really liked it. I own a BSD and really like it too. Still have the BSD, and likely won't ever sell it.

#42 9 years ago

Wow...the IM supporters are pretty quiet here.

#43 9 years ago

I thought there would be a little more
"Tastes great!"
"Less filling!"
Sort of argument going.

Quoted from 27dnast:

Wow...the IM supporters are pretty quite here.

#44 9 years ago

Interesting that the ratings of pinside have IM rated just a tad higher...but the poll seems to indicate BSD. Hmmm

#45 9 years ago

From a financial point of view...there's no comparison. A decent BSD can be had for around the 2k mark. IM? 5k? More?

I know the OP said this wasn't a buying advice thread because, if it was, hand's down, BSD all the way just because of the "bang for the buck" factor. You could have 2 1/2 BSD's for the price of one IM. Then you'd have more than double the "thiiiiiiirrrty milllllion" factor.

As far as the theme goes. Well, I think the Dracula movie is ok. Campy, but certainly not terrible and the art direction is top notch.

The first Iron Man, IMO, is what got Marvel Studios to where it is now. If it wasn't for the huge success of that film we would not be seeing the onslaught of new Marvel films...for better or for worse. I really liked the first film but the sequels I can leave at the door step.

As far as the "it" factor goes, Bally/Williams games from the 90's know how to make you feel good when you accomplish something. From the light show to the sounds, they made "Jackpot" feel like one. Hell, even when Dracula yell's "EXTRA BALL" and the bells chiming when you can "shoot again" just gets me going even after I've heard it so many times.

What's IM got? Digitized animations from the movie on the DMD. Meh. Don't get me wrong. IM is a fast and brutal player but it just not have the "it" factor that BSD does.

Now, I just have to sit and wait till Allentown to go Dracula hunting. Daddy wants a BSD.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Interesting that the ratings of pinside have IM rated just a tad higher...but the poll seems to indicate BSD.

ratings are very close. people who have owned the games seem to be commenting here and they get to play the games a bit more. IM is more "instant fun" and BSD is more of a grinder as far as getting all three multiballs going. Pretty much, BSD isn't any fun unless you get all three going at once. At least not for me.

#47 9 years ago

Back in the day, people that found a BSD on route would play it once, see a short game for their quarter..and move on to what they perceived as a more "fun" game. As we all know, it can be a drainer. So many people didn't give it a chance. You have to play this game to fall in love with it.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Back in the day, people that found a BSD on route would play it once, see a short game for their quarter..and move on to what they perceived as a more "fun" game. As we all know, it can be a drainer. So many people didn't give it a chance. You have to play this game to fall in love with it.

You're absolutely right! While on route, when it was new, I can't imagine BSD being a popular title. What with T2, TAF and HSII also out in that era.

The use of LED's really brightens this game up and the "discovery" of how to play it has really improved its appeal.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

When I first played IM on site ($2 a game) & the Monger would keep throwing the ball down the centre & out lanes.... well that was the end of me playing IM on site.
Great pin at home though

#50 9 years ago

BSD really shines in a home arcade. If I was paying 50 cents every go I wouldn't have ever gotten thirty mill.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 84.99
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
Boards
PinSound

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-vs-im and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.