41%

(94 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0092 (resized).JPG
IMG_0091 (resized).JPG
IMG_0090 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Just picked up a bsd and shopped it out. Played a few games on it. It's tough. I need to rebuild flippers and put stronger flipper coils in. Not sure if it will stay. I never played I500. Which is better?

#2 6 years ago

Yes

#3 6 years ago

BSD is one of the best pins of all time. I have had it for 3 years and it is a keeper. I 500 is good but no BSD.

#4 6 years ago

There is no similarity in gameplay to properly compare these two titles whatsoever.
"Better" is relative to your personal interests.
See my PinSide written reviews on these games for more information, if you want a breakdown of features and gameplay.

#5 6 years ago

I have owned both, and sold both. Great games but very very different. I can fully understand how someone just might not get on with BSD. I loved it but after a time the whole stacking the multiballs begins to lose its appeal, its a shame there isn't just a little more to the game rules wise.

I'd say I500 provided me with more *fun*.

If both were available to me again ...I'd prob go for I500.

#6 6 years ago

Indy500 gets my vote.

#7 6 years ago

I have owned and sold both. I recently got a super nice I500 back in a trade. BSD is one of those simple rule games that has a pretty sweet reward (Thirtyyyy Million). great callouts from the movie, a game all about scoring points.

I500 is a mode based game that has a lot of timed required shots. It can feel a little clunky at times but when you are hitting your shots it also is pretty sweet. It has more to accomplish and for me is a longer keeper then BSD.

You can not go wrong with either game as they resell fairly quickly when priced correctly. Nice non faded examples are harder to find and are very desirable.

#8 6 years ago

For me BSD is the clear choice. With BSD and TOTAN in my living room, I find myself still playing BSD more because it's not one of those games you just get to the end of and then it's done. You really can just keep playing and get better and better at it. It's tough but give it a chance before you ditch it because it really does hold its own in a games room - I hated it for the first year I had it.
If you like, switch those zipper flippers out with normal length ones and enjoy longer ball times.

I500 is also pretty good but very different - I think BSD has the theme trophy as well. There are some great animations and some great sounds.

#9 6 years ago

I've owned, gotten sick of, and sold both. Indy 500 is coming back. Both are great games, but once I got done with BSD, I just about stopped playing it.

#10 6 years ago

I just think Indy 500 is the best car race game that's my opinion I just love the game I'm a big fan of Indianapolis 500 race and I have an eight-year-old daughter that just loves the game also.. I just think the Dracula game is so dark and drab also and I love the Indianapolis 500 play field it's so bright with its different colors the oranges and yellows it just pops...

#11 6 years ago

I500 is one of those games that is just fun to play. I have had both and i500 is the only one still around. Bsd is fun for a few months. You may miss it once in a while when it is gone but overall i500 will keep u coming back for more

#12 6 years ago

Indy 500 will make you a better pinball player.

BSD will make you a better pissed off pinball player.

#13 6 years ago

Owned both and bsd is much better all around imo . I just cldnt get into i500 for some reason. Bsd is a top pin even among some other great title's i own.

#14 6 years ago

Both fun but totally different the way they play.

I500 has more to do but the scoring can be a bit skewed the way some of the awards are given. You have an upper flipper and have to get that lock shot down. If the saucer rejects a lot it can be frustrating. Nice skill shot and decent MB play. Don't tilt because you may be giving up a huge chunk of your score.

BSD does not have as much to do but the mood is better. Not much of a skill shot but it more than makes up for it with 3 different Multi-Balls that can be stacked for big time fun and call-outs. Also the Mist MB is an absolute classic in pinball.

I would say it comes down to theme. If you like dark mood horror pins or racing theme.

#15 6 years ago

In my opinion I think bsd is much better cool theme Better artwork and it is tougher than i500.

#16 6 years ago

The most over rated thing said in pinball?
"Thirrrrrty Milllion."

#17 6 years ago

indy has way more going on. Modes, fast and furious. there is a reason Indy has always been more valuable than BSD. BSD is ok, but there isn't a lot to it.

#18 6 years ago

This is why pinball is so great. I think BSD is a snorefest and the art is terrible. But others see it the exact opposite. It's why people should never buy games by their ratings. Play pins to see what you like.

#19 6 years ago

Just added these 2 to my line up..

I500 has great sounds and some good shots, for me it has that 'one more game' appeal.

BSD, hmmm.. need to give it more time, but it is BRUTAL! with the lightning flippers.. like Barry's other games like DH more

#20 6 years ago

Thanks everyone. Very insightful. I only have room for five games max, so I burn through them pretty fast. I shouldn't have a hard time moving it seems when it comes time.

#21 6 years ago

Come on. There is always room for just one more. haha.

#22 6 years ago

I own both and play them about equal amount. I still prefer Indy 500 though.

#23 6 years ago

I love the look, the art, callouts and sound effects of BSD. However, that thing can be a drain monster, I'm not sure it would be a keeper in a small collection. Indy 500 might be the better choice.

#24 6 years ago

Yeah, I played more tonight, I think the thing is there aren't any feel good shots. It's strange bc it kicks your ass and keeps you coming back but you never get that great shot. It's sort of just kicks your ass and then that's it.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Yeah, I played more tonight, I think the thing is there aren't any feel good shots. It's strange bc it kicks your ass and keeps you coming back but you never get that great shot. It's sort of just kicks your ass and then that's it.

Thats y its great lol.... but the left ramp and right ramp/ lock are nice shots . Not to mention hitting the mist ball.....

#26 6 years ago

First few weeks of BSD ownership..."I feel like a blundering novice"

IMG_0090 (resized).JPGIMG_0090 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

Then u find the game's sweet spot...

IMG_0091 (resized).JPGIMG_0091 (resized).JPG

#28 6 years ago

Drac out!

IMG_0092 (resized).JPGIMG_0092 (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago

I like the dark effect while playing BSD. The darkness of the blue and red has a settling grip when the machine is turned on or off. Stacking is a must for me when playing pinball.
With I500, it is such a bright hangover with all the colors and shaking. It's fast, but I could do with out the flash.
Ps. If your going to redue the flippers on BSD, know that the left and the right are not the same coil strengths.

#30 6 years ago

I had a nice BSD years ago and got a big offer and sold it after a few months. I liked it but thought it just did not have enough to do. I was wrong. I got one from an operator 2 years ago for a great deal to give it a second chance. I knew a lot of pinheads loved the game for a reason and had to find out why. First the call outs and music are as good as it gets. There is enough to do with building up rats and bats bonus, one of the best video modes ever, and working up the castle and coffin multiballs . I have owned 72 pins and there is not a game like BSD period. It is a challenge with fun shots which makes a game stay in my collection. I have sold many B/W and Stern titles in the past 2 years and never considered selling BSD. It is a perfect complement to the rest of my collection or any collection for that matter. When I hear it is a drain monster that just means you have not learned the shots yet. Yes I have lots of bad games but the stacking the multiballs and getting castle jackpot and killing Dracula are one of the biggest rushes out there. Also this game will make you a better player because you have to control the ball especially during multi ball. I500 is fun but BSD is a masterpiece.

#31 6 years ago

I voted Indy 500, although I also like BSD it's one of the themes banned in my household (TWD) .

Helps that son in law is from Indiana, and son and daughter graduated from Purdue.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I like the dark effect while playing BSD. The darkness of the blue and red has a settling grip when the machine is turned on or off. Stacking is a must for me when playing pinball.
With I500, it is such a bright hangover with all the colors and shaking. It's fast, but I could do with out the flash.
Ps. If your going to redue the flippers on BSD, know that the left and the right are not the same coil strengths.

I put a 11629 on right and a 11630 on left. So much better.

#33 6 years ago

Indy 500 all the way!

BSD is a great game, but Indy 500 is redonc fast and surprisingly very deep. Modes are all fun, and there is an X factor with that car that spins faster and faster (shaker like) on the top right corner (when you hit the silky smooth ramps).

I have come close to selling mine 3 times now, and just can't pull the trigger. It's that good.

Anyone I know who has gotten rid of theirs, is now searching to get one back. Fairly rare machine. Beats the pants off Getaway. And if you are not a fan of the in-game music ... try out the pinsound board. WOW!

#34 6 years ago

I didn't initially consider BSD because of the dark theme, then I played it on The Pinball Arcade and fell in love with it. I now own a BSD and added a color DMD. Who doesn't want to take down Dracula? A timeless theme, and an awesome game. Mist multiball mech can be a pain with the long opto, so make sure it works right prior to purchase.

#35 6 years ago

I'm thinking this bsd will last me for a month or so, them I'll be itching for something else.

#36 6 years ago

I have owned both games for 10+ years and finally sold BSD last year. Stacking all 3 multi balls is one of the best things in pinball. But for me, the single ball play was only ok.
I500 is one of my favorite games. Fast, fun, funny and great sounds really impress. If you like games like Shadow and White Water, you most likely will love this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-vs-i500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.