• Centaur 21 votes
    25%

(84 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150917_222652387.jpg
ratings.png
#1 8 years ago

Help me choose! Which do you like more? I love the gameplay and theme of both.

The Centaur is a little less but in far worse condition.

The BSD has a nice pf but okay cab.

Both of these are way up on my want list...

#2 8 years ago

Get the classic, get Centaur if you have the chance. Personally I usually don't enjoy EEs to much, but Centaur has great gameplay and to me it's one of the best looking machines ever made. Plus it's hard to get, at least in Europe.

BSDs are readily available, and I think the game is good but pretty one-tracked for a DMD. There's plenty of better games on your wishlist in the same price range - one of them being Centaur...

#3 8 years ago

Never pass up a chance to get a Centaur! I did and regretted it. Took me 3 years to find another one.

#4 8 years ago

I have both. Very hard decision there.
Centaur by a whisker because its more rare and its a true classic.

#5 8 years ago

BSD because it's the better pin! I'd love to own both though.

#6 8 years ago

Beg, borrow, steal, find a way to get both, your future self will thank you!!!

#7 8 years ago

Both are great pins. BSD is probably easier to find.
Centaur is probably unmatched for that generation. Superior to Fathom IMHO.
BSD is a great but hard pin. Very good theme with an excellent implementation.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Personally I usually don't enjoy EEs to much

What's an "EE"?

#9 8 years ago

This is tough for me. BSDs have popped up more often and I really want both at some point. Decisions!!

#10 8 years ago

Bsd because there's so much more to do and a way better pinball. centaur is slow definetly classic but painfull to play after a nice dmd game rare doesn't = fun

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

centaur is slow definetly classic but painfull to play

And you rated Stern Star Trek 1.000 and ACDC 2.220 because they are slow and painful to play too?
ratings.pngratings.png

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

What's an "EE"?

Early Electronics (1978-1989)

#13 8 years ago

no they suck too!!!

#14 8 years ago

Id go BSD, I have one and love it just a fun, hard and challenging game. That being said I've been looking for a Centaur to fix up myself do can't go wrong either way really.

#15 8 years ago

Despite Centaurs very cool art package and above average gameplay for the time, BSD whips Centaurs ass in every way possible. I have owned both and sold both. Miss BSD like crazy, Centuar was cool, but I won't have it back again.

#16 8 years ago

Ask yourself why you want a machine.

People buy machines for many reasons.

Centaur is way cooler than BSD... But I think BSD is WAY better in terms of gameplay. It depends on your taste.

I personally despise the Centaur art. Some people love it. I enjoy playing it every time I get a chance, but to me it looks like something the heavy metal kid drew in his history text book while not paying attention to the Vimy Ridge lesson!

BSD is also pretty garish looking, but I personally really like it. It's got a campy gothic horror vibe.

For me, it's BSD by a mile. It's generally much cheaper than an equal quality Centaur, and you're getting a lot more for your dollar in terms of gameplay.

Who cares about a beat up cab?! As long as it's reflected in the price.

#17 8 years ago

That's tough... Both are fantastic games. Centaur is in my top 3 early SS Bally games, and BSD is in my top ten B/W DMDs.

Looking at your collection, I say go with Centaur. It keeps your collection more diverse, and bridges the gap between Fast Draw and Station. Plus, decent Centaurs are a fair bit harder to find than nice BSDs.

#18 8 years ago

Had both BSD is still here. Centaurs gameplay is somewhat limited IMHO. Knock down targets to get multiball advance mutiplier to get mutiball to release and multiball has no real purpose, just more balls in play. BSD on the other hand getting triple stacked multiball play, nuff said and the animations and sounds are awesome.

#19 8 years ago

BSD is incredibly fun!

#20 8 years ago

Dracula is very challenging and has that, "one more game" factor that is so difficult to describe. Centaur is a good game, but is an entirely different game. BSD will punish you for poor strategy or missed shots; Centaur rewards accuracy but is more forgiving. It is a question of what you're looking for. That being said, Centaurs are more difficult to find, for sure.

#21 8 years ago

Centaur. Cannot match that reverb sound. Killer artwork.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Centaur's gameplay is somewhat limited IMHO....multiball has no real purpose, just more balls in play.

I wait for multiball to play the high-risk area of the table: Queen's chamber.
I also think it's the best implemented and most fun multiball of all time.
-mof

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

That's tough... Both are fantastic games. Centaur is in my top 3 early SS Bally games, and BSD is in my top ten B/W DMDs.

I think Centaur is better than most pins in it's era than BSD is in B/W games. I say CENTAUR!!!

#25 8 years ago

BSD is a must in any collection.

#26 8 years ago

Most Centaurs are setup to be an endless multiball flailfest. Put in the home ROMs, raise the slope and adjust the outlanes for less successful bounce-ins. Much more challenging and fun. Centaur is just uber cool.

That said, apples and oranges here. Both great games, go with the era you'd rather have in your collection.

#27 8 years ago

Duplicate, sorry

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

.....multiball has no real purpose, just more balls in play.

I originally felt the same way, but having played some Fireball Classic recently, I realized the two are very much alike with respect to multiball: very fast/tough games, so having that second ball in play is crucial to longer ball times. The third-fifth balls are not really necessary, just the ability to enable the lower "guardian" ball is enough. I understand the reason for balls 3-5 though - absolute chaos on the playfield (I think Faris & Patla mentioned this in their audio interview but don't hold me to it). Personally, when I get mine it's being set to no "shoot again" balls, so multiball will be essential for a good game.

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Centaur. Cannot match that reverb sound. Killer artwork.

^ This sums it up in a nutshell. The game and artwork are great but that sound is unique, and kinda hits you over the head with its coolness. I could just listen to that spooky attract mode voice over & over without even having to play a game...."Guardian Feature! Chamber Feature!"

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

And you rated Stern Star Trek 1.000 and ACDC 2.220 because they are slow and painful to play too?
ratings.png

He doesn't like fast or slow, just in-between.

#30 8 years ago

When reading a which pin to buy A or B thread, I usually chuckle when someone suggests get them both. If you could get them both, there would be no need for the question. Having played a lot of both titles recently, I'd lean towards ......... get them both. Haha! Both are classic and feel unique; challenging but rewarding. Get whichever you can for now (maybe Centaur if it would be harder to find). Then start saving for the other title.

#31 8 years ago

I'm leaning towards Centaur but freaking love BSD also. Man, if only I had more cash. Anybody win the lotto recently and need some friends?

#32 8 years ago

BSD.

I've never been a big fan of Centaur. There are some games of the same era that I enjoy more. I'm not saying it is a bad game, there are just others I find more fun to play.

BSD on the other hand, was a grail game for me. I looked for a while to find a decent one. And when I did, happiness. It's been brutal to me over the last 4 years. Nasty games, with the occasional amazing game tossed to me like a bone. The highs of those great games are what make the BSD a pleasure. It's game after game of a mess, And then the skies open, and Thirrrrrttttyyyy Milllllllllliiioonn rains down. As long as the game is setup right (nasty), that callout is rediculous when you get it.

#33 8 years ago

My vote is BSD playwise but for collectablility I say Centaur. They will be much harder to find, id grab Centaur now and BSD when you have more cash.

#34 8 years ago

It's looking to be Centaur. Thanks for the advice.

#35 8 years ago

Congrats!

#36 8 years ago

Centaur is the winner for me.

#37 8 years ago

Both were boring to play for me. I owned bsd for awhile and couldn't get into it as much as I tried.

Centaur was painfully boring and slow to play. Although some players enjoy the slower play and pins from this era. And nothing wrong with that.

If I had to choose it would be bsd unless there is a third option.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Centaur was painfully boring and slow to play.

I set mine to a high pitch and she is fast, once you get the rules down its a serious shooter and the coolness factor is off the charts.

#39 8 years ago

BSD is better but buy the Centaur. You can always find another BSD and/or sell the Centaur.

2 months later
#40 8 years ago

I'll have both, thank you very much. IMG_20150917_222652387.jpgIMG_20150917_222652387.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 84.99
£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-vs-centaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.