Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Elicash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BSD Switch Matrix (resized).PNG

#1 9 months ago

Hello, need some help on a switch matrix issue.

I powered off the game and proceeded to adjust the pops. I clearly didnt wait long enough as this blew the ULN2803. Luckily, it is socketed, so i replaced the ic chip and Fuse at F115. Switch matrix works and I can start a game, but have column out.

The column runs the pops, slings, and Left 3 target bank. Its associated with U20.13 -- which I believe is the ULN2803 I just replaced. They do not appear as closed in the switch matrix. Any ideas? Did I fry another chip?

I checked all fuses on Driver Board. I can fire all the associated solonoids in test, but no switches. Any ideas would be great help!

BSD Switch Matrix (resized).PNG

#2 9 months ago

Question 1: Have you tested for continuity on your wires? Have you made sure at least one switch's green/blue has continuity to the mpu board?

I realize it's highly probable it's a chip on your mpu board, but you'll feel like an idiot if a wire came loose and you chase your tail for hours.

#3 9 months ago

Good thought. I just checked. All the wires pass the tug test on the switches and they are attached. Also checked continuity between them all and good. I had a very tough time checking continuity back to the board, since the connectors are so small. But I think I am good since I didnt touch any connecters on the board prior or after the issue. Only contact with the board was pulling and replacing ic socketed chip. I did monkey around with the pop bumper switches, but as I said, I am covered there.

#4 9 months ago

Alright, good check. If I were you, I'd go for U14 next. I've never seen a short fry the little caps or resistors involved, and it's the next step "backwards" in the switch column system.

#5 9 months ago

May want to replace diodes on the jet switches. Had bad diodes do weird things to switch matrix on wpc games. Start at jets work your way down the line.
Good luck let us know how you make out.
Al

#6 9 months ago

Have you tried putting the game in switch test mode and pulling J207 and J205 then putting an alligator clip or otherwise making a connection directly from J207-6 (column pin) to each of the pins on J205 one at a time? If the switches register like this your board is fine. If they don't register then you've got board issues. Its a quick way to eliminate the problem from the board or the wiring. Double check those pins and plug numbers I mentioned. The picture is a little blurry.

#7 9 months ago

Is there a way to test the U14 chip? I don't have a logic probe.

#8 9 months ago

If you do the test I mentioned you'll know for sure if you need to look to the board or the wiring.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from maestro:

Have you tried putting the game in switch test mode and pulling J207 and J205 then putting an alligator clip or otherwise making a connection directly from J207-6 (column pin) to each of the pins on J205 one at a time? If the switches register like this your board is fine. If they don't register then you've got board issues. Its a quick way to eliminate the problem from the board or the wiring. Double check those pins and plug numbers I mentioned. The picture is a little blurry.

Did the test and confirmed issue is on the board. No switch registering on that column. First time I have ever done this test, always a little afraid of alligator clips and shorting something making it worse, but the test was easy. Glad to learn how to do this.

So - I am assuming next step is to target the U14 chip?

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Is there a way to test the U14 chip? I don't have a logic probe.

You can test it with a DMM using this method: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_an_integrated_circuit

#11 9 months ago

Thanks to everyone that offered help.

I ended up buying a logic probe. A little intimidated on how to use. But i found this link to a youtube video in TerryB's logic probe thread and this video demonstrated exactly how to test the U14 chip.

I confirmed the chip was bad with the logic probe. But literally seconds later I think I shorted between 2 legs of the ic chip with the probe. This caused the game to reboot. Luckily I didnt damage anything else, but I certainly finished off the (already bad) U14 chip.

So I was able to cut out the chip, put in a socket, and replace. All is good again now with the game. I learned alot from this little issue. I don't recommend using a logic probe on a board while it is still in the back box. Those legs on the ic chips are literally a millimeter apart, so it seems crazy easy to short something whilst reaching in there. I have pretty steady hands, but so easy to short something.

Thanks again from the help. And thanks to TerryB's logic probe thread and the video Chris Hibler put up on youtube. Hope someone can learn from my errors and my fix in the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
$ 159.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 5.00
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 209.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 229.99
$ 5.00
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside