You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Switch_Fix (resized).jpg
switch bank2 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

Hoping you can help point me in the right direction for this one. The issues I am having is that when I have 1 or more balls locked in the castle lock and the game tries to release just 1 of those balls it releases all of them at the same time. The other issue the game has is when a certain combination of the 3 mid bank targets are hit at the same time the game thinks there is a ball in the crypt popper. I've had this game for quite some time and both of these things have been going on for as long as I can remember, just now getting around to fixing it. In the switch test menu I started hitting the mid 3 bank switches in different combinations trying to figure out if it would trigger the crypt popper.

Here are the results:

1. When I press the middle and right switches at the same time the "opto castle 3" switches goes off
2. Right and left switches the "opto crypt popper" goes off
3. All 3 switches pressed at the same time triggers the "mystery hole"
4. Left and middle are normal. Doesn't trigger anything else.

Looks like the wires have been re-soldered to the switches in the mid 3-bank. Sorry for the blurry pic. Wondering if the wires are attached correctly but don't have any reference.

Any ideas were to start?

switch bank2 (resized).jpgswitch bank2 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Consulting the switch matrix located inside the back cover of the manual on page 151 we see the middle three bank targets are in column eight. L-86, M-87, R-88. We also see the phantom switches being activated are in column five. Opto CP-56, Opto C3-57, Mystery-58.

If you note at the top of your switch matrix chart it shows the proper orientation of the diodes. Current flows from the green to the white (arrow pointing opposite the current). Your diodes should have the bands connected to the green-gray side of the circuit. I can't tell from your photo if that's the case or not. It sort of looks like they are all on backwards.

Before you start changing stuff, get a second opinion from GRUMPY PinballManiac40 or Quench
I could be misreading the manual or just be plain wrong.

#3 5 years ago

I'm not looking at a manual but is it possible some of the molex plugs are switched on your driver board? And yes like yeoldpinplayer has stated, reversed diodes will definitely cause weird switch issues. I've lived it!

#4 5 years ago

2 of those diodes look reversed for sure, the third one (left) isn't clear enough to see.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks guys! I looked at another bank of similar switches in my IJ and it definitely looks like all 3 diodes are reversed. I will swap them around and report back.

#6 5 years ago

I completed swapping the diodes. I still have the same issue. I also tried hitting different switch combos and if I hold some of the middle 3 bank with some of the left 3 bank, several switches get tripped including the bottom pop bumper will go off. Other ideas? Just keep looking for diodes in the wrong direction?

#7 5 years ago

Be methodical. Test every switch one at a time. Make sure the one you're activating is the one showing up in the test.
Pinwiki shows this method for determining if you have a board problem or a playfield problem: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

#8 5 years ago

First of all thank you all for helping me! Second, sorry for the grainy pictures. It's the best I can do with what I have at the moment. I tried YeOldPinPlayer's suggestion to go to pinwiki and do the diagnostics. I went through the tests and everything checked out OK on the circuit board side so back to the playfield. I did a lot of stare and compare with other 3 switch banks in games that I have and noticed that all of them have the 2 yellow striped wires going to the bottom lug and to the anode part of the diode. My switches had them attached at the top at the anode end. So both wires and diode were wrong. I had to switch the diodes back and move the wires from the top to the bottom on all 3 switches. Whoever owned it before me must have replaced the switches and attached the wires incorrectly.

Now for the first time in 15+ years it will play correctly (purchased in June 2003), what a slacker, lol!

Switch_Fix (resized).jpgSwitch_Fix (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-strange-switch-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.