Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0.jpg
BSD.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 12 years ago

Never shoot the center or side targets except during a multi. This is especially a problem with "on the fly" players. Drop catches, bounce passes, live catches - get control of the ball anyway you can.

If it's kicking your ass, you might try regular sized flippers.

With the lightning flips, you really need to be able to bounce pass and drop catch or BSD is super-duper frustrating. Before I knew how to do those techniques I think my highest score was around 350M with lightning flips, and that was after well over 100 games.

The way a lot of pros play is 2 left ramps, then start coffin multi, then 3rd left ramp to start bats, then two more to light mist and stack. At that point you should random hit enough standups to get your castle locks. I just tie up castle balls with the ramps and go for castle jackpots at that point. Coffin or right orbit into bumpers is another way to tie up a ball but sometimes gets you unlucky drains.

A lot of players also ignore the skill shot. Don't. It advances your video mode and coffin ramps.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

jonnyo said:A lot of players also ignore the skill shot. Don't. It advances your video mode and coffin ramps.
Huh? Never heard that before. Got any more details?
For a beginner, stick with trying to stack 2 multiballs. Bring mist along with coffin. Once you have 2 balls locked for coffin, start mist, then shoot the third coffin lock to stack the 2. Once you get more time on the game, you can go for for the triple stack. For STDM rejects from the left ramp, make sure you're level side to side and try adjusting the pitch. On my game, steeper is better. You won't eliminate the SDTM's completely, but it may help. My game came with upgraded flipper coils (11629's) and lightning flippers. I recommend upgrading the coils rather than removing the lightning flipper bats.

It could depend on what roms, but that's the way tj's plays at vitus. I didn't realize it until recently.

http://pinball.org/rules/dracula.html

"The Skill Shot is purely a matter of timing. The display will show a three-faced gargoyle, with each face flashing in turn. When the ball hits the Drop Target after being launched, the Skill Shot award depends on the face which is lit. The left face awards 100K, and the right face awards 500K. The center face awards 1M the first time, increasing by 1M each subsequent time to a maximum of 5M. The center face also spots a V-I-D-E-O letter (see Video Mode) and advances the Coffin Ramp if the Coffin is not already open. After a successful Skill Shot, subsequent Skill Shots are slightly faster. The game favours the center face slightly, awarding it if the face has just changed to 100K or was just about to change from 500K."

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

jonnyo said:The center face also spots a V-I-D-E-O letter (see Video Mode) and advances the Coffin Ramp if the Coffin is not already open.
Okay. 'Advances your video mode' made it sound like you played a later level of the video mode if you made the skill shot. Remarkably, Drac only has one revision of software. Mine is still screwed down tight (hard as hell) from CAX. Agree you shouldn't ignore the skill shot. That would be throwing away easy points.

Yes, it advances progress, not the levels. It awards you the next shot toward getting video mode, doesn't bump you to level 2 or 3. It also advances coffin ramp toward opening the lock shot, but doesn't award locks if the lock is already open.

I played the one at PPM tonight (the one Neil donated to PPM). One thing I noticed is if the upper drop target is flaky (as it is there) it makes a HUGE difference. The Bats stack with coffin is much harder. Never would have noticed if I hadn't played the one at Vitus, which is very consistent on the skill shot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-somewhat-disappointed?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.