• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

example.jpg
IMAG0765.jpg
IMAG0756.jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Dracula (in pretty poor state), and started working on it today.

I fixed some minor things, but now during gameplay, the left middle ball-up kicker, ball launch kicker and ball feed kicker (dont know if these are the correct terms, but im sure you know what I mean) randomly seem to fire.

Now normally I would think it was a opto problem, but since there are three solenoids firing at the same time, I'd assume this was too big of a coincidence, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

All help appreciated, thanks in advance!

gr Mario

#2 9 years ago

edit: after some more research I noticed the following:

1. the plunger on the pic (kicks ball to launch lane) is not returning properly after being activated. I sprayed some teflon spray on the plunger to make it smoother (it worked with a similar problem before), bat that didnt help. Is it possible this caused the ball launcher to keep firing?

2. There are no diodes on some of these solenoids, does anyone know if thats right?

gr Mario

IMAG0756.jpgIMAG0756.jpg
#3 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

edit: after some more research I noticed the following:
1. the plunger on the pic (kicks ball to launch lane) is not returning properly after being activated. I sprayed some teflon spray on the plunger to make it smoother (it worked with a similar problem before), bat that didnt help. Is it possible this caused the ball launcher to keep firing?
2. There are no diodes on some of these solenoids, does anyone know if thats right?
gr Mario

IMAG0756.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I'm pretty sure the ball popper's do not have diodes. How do the ribbon cables look? Do they look old and ratty? I wouldn't be surprised if one of the ribbon cables is bad. Try re-seating them.

#4 9 years ago

Also, run the solenoid test and see what happens to those particular coils.

#5 9 years ago

Hi Rampshot,

in reaction to your suggestions:

Quoted from RampShot11:

I'm pretty sure the ball popper's do not have diodes. How do the ribbon cables look? Do they look old and ratty? I wouldn't be surprised if one of the ribbon cables is bad. Try re-seating them.

Ribbon cables seem fine. I've re-seated them but there's no difference.

Quoted from RampShot11:

Also, run the solenoid test and see what happens to those particular coils.

The solenoid from the pic does activate, but after 2 or 3 times it's stuck (locked). The rest of solenoids just seem to work fine.

I did get a new test report: switch 51 opto T.R. lane

#6 9 years ago

The shooter lane kicker, does the switch in the lane get stuck? That was a problem I had with this type of problem. If the switch sticks the game thinks that there is a ball in the lane and will keep trying to fire the kicker.
There are usually no diodes on up kicker coils, diverter coils, and drop target coils, so that is normal.
Before you start worrying about transistors and such, pull the switch matrix diagram, look to see if these three coils are in the same column. There could be a switch stuck closed that is causing the game to think it needs to fire these coils in game play.
After that start looking for loose wires that may be shorting a coil or switch.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

The shooter lane kicker, does the switch in the lane get stuck? That was a problem I had with this type of problem. If the switch sticks the game thinks that there is a ball in the lane and will keep trying to fire the kicker.

The switch is indeed stuck like you said, could this be causing the firing of the kicker in the shooter lane? I thought only the switch in the lane itself could cause the kicker to fire.

Do you maybe have any suggestions to fixing this solenoid so its 'pops' back like it should? If you look at the pic, it seems a little tilted, so the plunger rubs against the inside and gets stuck.

Quoted from buffaloatx:

There are usually no diodes on up kicker coils, diverter coils, and drop target coils, so that is normal.
Before you start worrying about transistors and such, pull the switch matrix diagram, look to see if these three coils are in the same column. There could be a switch stuck closed that is causing the game to think it needs to fire these coils in game play.
After that start looking for loose wires that may be shorting a coil or switch.

I'll go and check that out, thanks man.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

Do you maybe have any suggestions to fixing this solenoid so its 'pops' back like it should? If you look at the pic, it seems a little tilted, so the plunger rubs against the inside and gets stuck.

new coil sleeve for sure will help. also, check the alignment and mount of the coil on the bracket, as well as the mechanics of the armature that ejects the ball into the shooting lane.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

The switch is indeed stuck like you said, could this be causing the firing of the kicker in the shooter lane? I thought only the switch in the lane itself could cause the kicker to fire

Yes, if the switch goes off and on a bit the auto plunger will also fire.

To fix that problem remove the switch bracket, make sure it is not bent, adjust the wireform to make sure it does not bind on the cut out. That should solve that problem.

Quoted from MFPinball:

As for the coil not resetting properly remove the assembly, remove the coil from the bracket, clean every thing, make sure the coil rod is not mushroomed, if it is either file it smooth around the tip, or order a new one, replace the coil tube. Reassemble everything, make sure the coil is secure to the bracket and that the plunger is centered on the ball, if its a bit off center it will cause a weak plunge.

Good luck

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

new coil sleeve for sure will help. also, check the alignment and mount of the coil on the bracket, as well as the mechanics of the armature that ejects the ball into the shooting lane.

Hi Ballsofsteel

I think you're right. I'm going to change the sleeve on the coil. Can you maybe give me a tip on properly aligning the coil and the plunger?

thanks

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Yes, if the switch goes off and on a bit the auto plunger will also fire.
To fix that problem remove the switch bracket, make sure it is not bent, adjust the wireform to make sure it does not bind on the cut out. That should solve that problem.

As for the coil not resetting properly remove the assembly, remove the coil from the bracket, clean every thing, make sure the coil rod is not mushroomed, if it is either file it smooth around the tip, or order a new one, replace the coil tube. Reassemble everything, make sure the coil is secure to the bracket and that the plunger is centered on the ball, if its a bit off center it will cause a weak plunge.
Good luck

awesome,

thanks Buffaloatx

#12 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

Just a little update:

first off, the problem with the lane shooter is solved thanks for all the suggestions, helped me out alot!

This is what I did:
I cleaned the coilsleeve and plunger, but it still didn't return smoothly after plunging. Before, I checked it without the machanism, in which it ran very smooth. The allignment also did not change anything. So I decided to take a look at the machanism of the 'arm' kicking the balls from the gutter to the lane (see pic). When I moved it with my hand I felt the reistance. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly and that did the trick.

So now, I still have two problems, maybe related, I don't know yet:

=> solenoids 'wire ramp ball popper' and 'castle popper' are still firing randomly. The opto's are in the same row, does that mean anything? I'm not that great at interpreting these matrixes. How do I check if these problems are related, or just coincedence? How do I start?

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks.

gr Mario

IMAG0765.jpgIMAG0765.jpg
#13 9 years ago

edit: the opto switches of these two solenoids have the same color wires. These are the same wires as opto switch 51 which is reported bad in the test report. Is it possible these problems are therefore related?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

edit: the opto switches of these two solenoids have the same color wires. These are the same wires as opto switch 51 which is reported bad in the test report. Is it possible these problems are therefore related?

Yup, highly likely. Check it in switch test if it doesn't register visually check it to make sure it is connected. If it is connected I'd replace both the transmitter and receiver, likely only one of them is bad, but they are pretty cheap so do both. As long as all other optos are working this should solve your problems.

#15 9 years ago

It could just be the opto's or one of the opto's is really dirty. That's the easy fix some hopefully thats it. Take them apart and clean them real good. Windex works well.

#16 9 years ago

Great progress! As others have mentioned give the optos a good cleaning-windex, rubbing alcohol and a q tip...

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

It could just be the opto's or one of the opto's is really dirty. That's the easy fix some hopefully thats it. Take them apart and clean them real good. Windex works well.

Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Great progress! As others have mentioned give the optos a good cleaning-windex, rubbing alcohol and a q tip...

Great tips, I'll go and work on that tonight, I'll keep u guys posted...

thanks.

gr Mario

#18 9 years ago

ok, so I cleaned all 3 opto's. Switch 51 is still reported as broke and the solenoids keep firing away.

Im going to buy an opto switch and replace the faulty one, hoping this will fix this problem.

#19 9 years ago

You might want to check the 10 opto board. http://www.homepin.com/10opto.html

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

You might want to check the 10 opto board. http://www.homepin.com/10opto.html

pass on that, I'm still waiting 2 months for this single unassembled kit for 75$. I just sent in both opto boards to Coin-Op cauldron and got them back in 2 weeks for 88$

do the math and the time frame.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

ok, so I cleaned all 3 opto's. Switch 51 is still reported as broke and the solenoids keep firing away.
Im going to buy an opto switch and replace the faulty one, hoping this will fix this problem.

Hmmmm. Well I can tell you I had the same sort of issue with my CBW, 8 ball coil kept getting stuck once it was activated and it would fry if I didn't shut the machine down right away. It turned out to be a bad spot target that was shorting out and once I replaced the target, I never had the problem again. Now I know they are two totally different machines and systems but maybe my issue can point you in the right direction.

#22 9 years ago

Before you start replacing stuff, check the under-field connectors. Those above-field opto pairs' wire runs through a hole and have a molex connector under there.

If those are good, go into switch edge test and check the optos and other switches easily accessible.

PS: that pivot post you cleaned is one place in pinball that lubricant (one drop) should be used (metal-on-metal).

#23 9 years ago

I replaced the opto, but the system still reports it as broken and the two solenoids are still firing randomly.

I also checked he molex connectors and cleaned them a bit, they seem fine.

Any other suggestions?

#24 9 years ago

As soon as I get a chance I'll do a little digging around with mine. I could be wrong, but I feel that the coils going off is tied to this switch error. If you have a spare power driver board you could swap that one in and see if you get the same problem. If you do it could point to an MPU problem, or your 10 opto board. The green black wire runs the 5th column which has your optos and poppers in it. Once you get into board stuff I'm not so good with that, but there are a bunch of people that have deeper knowledge than me on here.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

As soon as I get a chance I'll do a little digging around with mine. I could be wrong, but I feel that the coils going off is tied to this switch error. If you have a spare power driver board you could swap that one in and see if you get the same problem. If you do it could point to an MPU problem, or your 10 opto board. The green black wire runs the 5th column which has your optos and poppers in it. Once you get into board stuff I'm not so good with that, but there are a bunch of people that have deeper knowledge than me on here.

thanks buffaloatx, woud appreciate it. I dont have a spare power driver board, so thats not an option.

Prob a noob question but how do I find out if the opto 10 board is functioning correctly?

#26 9 years ago

Do you have continuity throughout from the opto to the two coils in question? Have you reflowed the solder points on the troubled optos/opto boards. Intermittent is more than likely a cold solder or short issue.

#27 9 years ago

Get out the old multi meter, and check each header pin for proper voltage. Each banded color wire leading from the board should have 12 volts running from it. Each different color wire runs a different column in the matrix. In this case Green/Black runs the column in question. If its not sending out 12 volts your optos will not work.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Do you have continuity throughout from the opto to the two coils in question? Have you reflowed the solder points on the troubled optos/opto boards. Intermittent is more than likely a cold solder or short issue.

noob questions: How do I check the continuity? I have a multimeter, but havent got a continuity sound mode (beep). How do I check the opto board, is it possible to see if there's anything off?

thanks for your suggestions btw, im starting to think there's a short issue as well

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Get out the old multi meter, and check each header pin for proper voltage. Each banded color wire leading from the board should have 12 volts running from it. Each different color wire runs a different column in the matrix. In this case Green/Black runs the column in question. If its not sending out 12 volts your optos will not work.

thanks, will check tonight.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

thanks, will check tonight.

btw you do mean the pin heads on the opto board right?

#31 9 years ago

lol quoted myself

#32 9 years ago

Set your meter to the ohms setting. If it beeps/registers 0 you're good.

Just out of curiosity, do they fire together simultaneously, one after another or separate from one another?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Set your meter to the ohms setting. If it beeps/registers 0 you're good.
Just out of curiosity, do they fire together simultaneously, one after another or separate from one another?
» YouTube video

Which two points do i measure? Do i take the two solder points?

They never fire simultaniously btw, they alway fire one afyer the other.

#34 9 years ago

From the ground on point one to the ground on point two and repeat with the positive lead. What you are checking is wether or not the leads from point to point are intact without a break/short. You want to make sure your ground wires are connected and solid as well as your positive lead.

So they fire in a sequence of sorts, like 1-2? Mine will fire like that when searching for a ball. How consistent is it? Have you ever been able to catch it on video?

#35 9 years ago

Well i've blown a fuse (im such a noob lol) so now my dmd isnt working. Ill try and measure the pin heads tommorow when i have a new (and spare) fuse.

Ive measured all 4 wires from point to point (i.e. from opto to opto) with my mm set on resistence (ohm), these are my findings:
Black: 00.0
Grey: 00.4
Orange: 7.7
Grey/yellow: 00.0

Its the first time im doing this, but i think no resistence is good and the resistence on the orange wire is...? I assume if there was a broken wire, there would be no measurement in resistence, so thats not the case. But if you guys could help me figure out these numbers that would be great.

I'll also make a short vid if the solenoids firing, maybe that 'll ring a bell somewhere..

#36 9 years ago

Oh no, you blew a fuse. Did you have your game turned on? The game should be off when testing continuity. If you are testing power to the pins make sure you have your ground grounded in the side rails or ground braid.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Oh no, you blew a fuse. Did you have your game turned on? The game should be off when testing continuity. If you are testing power to the pins make sure you have your ground grounded in the side rails or ground braid.

my first blown fuse, moment to remember

Just to make sure: yes the game was turned off whilst testing the continuity.

The game has to be turned on to test the pin headers right?

Can somebody make something of the continuity test results I posted?

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

Can somebody make something of the continuity test results I posted?

Quoted from MFPinball:

Ive measured all 4 wires from point to point (i.e. from opto to opto) with my mm set on resistence (ohm), these are my findings:

Well, yes, ... but measuring from opto to opto doesn't give much information.
But the findings seem correct.
Zero ohm for Gry-Yel = 12Volt to 12Volt,
Zero ohm for Black = Gnd to Gnd
440 ohm for Gry = anode to anode through 2 resistors
8 Kohm for Orn = emittor to emittor through 4 resistors

example.jpgexample.jpg

What you can conclude is that the wires between opto and 10-opto-PCB are ok.

#39 9 years ago

Ok, to sum up so far: Its not dirt on the opto switches, its prob not the wiring, its prob not the opto switch 51.

I have three questions, based on the information and suggestions given:

1. I still have to measure the voltage on the header pins, I have to do this with the machine on right?

2. Another possibility is a cold solder somewhere. Is there a way to check this, or do I just resolder all coils?

3. It looks like a short somewhere, if thats the case, where do i start looking?

I've uploaded a vid, the image is very vague (under playfield), but you can hear the coils firing (one after the other), hope this helps to identify the problem.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, really appreciate it, glad the pinside crew is here to help

#40 9 years ago

This is a stupid question I should have asked first, but this only happens when you start a game, and not in the attract mode correct?

To test your header pins you will need to connect the black lead to the ground braid with the machine on, and the red lead to each pin you want to test. Set the meter to AC voltage.

Also, when you test these optos (or any switch) in test does anything report two switches closing?

#41 9 years ago

I think the solution to your problem is to give the game to me

Seriously though, a cheap and easy way to test optos is to use your cell phone. The cameras on cell phones don't have IR filters on them, so you put your phone in photo mode and watch through the phone screen and you see the light of the emitter led flashing when it is active. This also works for testing remote controls if you are wondering if you tv is screwed or just your remote/batteries.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

This is a stupid question I should have asked first, but this only happens when you start a game, and not in the attract mode correct?

No, also in attract mode (see new, better vid below)

Quoted from buffaloatx:

To test your header pins you will need to connect the black lead to the ground braid with the machine on, and the red lead to each pin you want to test. Set the meter to AC voltage.

check

Quoted from buffaloatx:

Also, when you test these optos (or any switch) in test does anything report two switches closing?

yes, it reports the two optos closing. I tried with a ball to be sure

#43 9 years ago

better vid:

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I think the solution to your problem is to give the game to me
Seriously though, a cheap and easy way to test optos is to use your cell phone. The cameras on cell phones don't have IR filters on them, so you put your phone in photo mode and watch through the phone screen and you see the light of the emitter led flashing when it is active. This also works for testing remote controls if you are wondering if you tv is screwed or just your remote/batteries.

first off: very cool trick.

I checked the opto's, two where fine (incl switch 51), but one led has fallen off. But this is new, so I'm pretty sur this has nothing to do with the problem. Im going to solder a new one in, so I'll get back on that.

#45 9 years ago

edit:

The two solenoids keep firing after all coils have fired (in startup), but they die out if you wait long enough. They stopped firing just now after I didnt startup the game (ie didnt fire any other coils..?).

just some extra info that might be of use...

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

first off: very cool trick.
I checked the opto's, two where fine (incl switch 51), but one led has fallen off. But this is new, so I'm pretty sur this has nothing to do with the problem. Im going to solder a new one in, so I'll get back on that.

all three optos are working..

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from MFPinball:

yes, it reports the two optos closing. I tried with a ball to be sure

At the same time, or one at a time?
I'm trying to rule out a MPU problem.

#48 9 years ago

Any updates?

#49 9 years ago

Problem is solved!

With a whole lot of help from pinside and a professional who assisted me via email.

This is what I did:

* I made 100% sure it wasn't the opto(s) itself failing so I connected opto 51 and 71 to the wires connected to an opto that was working and it checked out. Also the trick with the camera from my phone helped to check whether the transistor was working. I checked the receivers by blocking the transistor and shining into the receiver.

* I tried to rule out a broken wire between switches and switches to opto10 board by testing them with the MM, it checked out

* then I read it could be a broken lm339 comparitor. The professional pinball mechanic helped me figure out how to check whether this might be the case, this included shorting a couple of places o the opto board and the receivers (with a diode). If the receiver didnt register and the other shorts did, it would be pretty certain the lm339 was broke. But in the test, nothing registered. So in all probability it wasn't the lm339.

* Now he was pretty certain it was a lose contact or broken wire somewhere.
He adviced me to check for continuity between J209-1 and J3-12. In the test there was no continuity, so it had to be a broken wire or loose contact somewhere. I traced the wire down and after some digging (took me a while) I saw a broken of wire in between a whole lot of other wires. I finally found the other part burried somewhere else: disco!

problem solved.

In hindsight, its a simple little broken wire and I should have checked the J209-1 with J3-12 much earlier in the process. But as this is a learning experience, I've learned alot from this problem and am glad I had to do different kind of tests, even thought it was very frustrating.

Anyway, Thanks alot for all to you guys who adviced me and tought me new tricks

On to the next one

#50 9 years ago

Glad to see you got it fixed. Such a relief when you finally find it right?!? Good job. Enjoy that game now. It's a great pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-solenoids-keep-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.