6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12Vunrg.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider buffaloatx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

A little background -

After moving all the pins from the Bat City Open my BSD decided to have a melt down (almost literally, the 12 volt UR fuse burst into magic smoke)
After moving the machine into place I powered it on and everything was fine for about 30 minutes. After that I hear the mist motor start running, and some coils start firing, I look up and notice that my display is all kinds of screwy, and then I smell smoke.
I turned it off opened it up and saw nothing melted or burnt, strange, but so far so good. I start going through the DMD looks wrong list, ribons, fuses, connectors, all fine. Power the machine back up, no smoke, still no picture, and the mist motor is still running. Ok, so the game thinks there is no ball in either mist gate, great, a place to start, no optos, must be the 12 volts. Since it worked for 30 minutes before hand it's got to be a fuse. Pulled both of them, and sure enough the 12 volt UR fuse is blown (pretty warm too, and smells burnt. AH-HA) replace it, power up, everything comes back like normal. Then I notice that the fuse is glowing orange, not good I think to myself, while powering down again. I replace the fuse again, this time, I have my meter on the TP for the UR line. before the fuse melts again I see a reading of about 300+ volts there. Power off again, pull the fuse, power on again with no fuse this time, DMD gone, mist motor running, all the same stuff as before. Put the meter on the TP again and still see 300+ volts.

Now that I've found the problem, what the hell do I do about it?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

300+ volts is not very common in a pinball machine

Tell me about it, at first I thought my meter was broken.
But no, this machine is unmodded.
I've never seen any voltage even remotely this high before, which is why I have no idea where to start, or what to look for.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Measure the Gray-Yellow wires from the pulled connectors and check which one has the hi-voltage.
Also measure the ac voltage coming in at J212

Thanks, zaza, I'll report what I find, hopefully, tomorrow evening.

#8 6 years ago

zaza OK, so far it seems like I am getting 200 to 300 vDC through everywhere that runs off the 12 unregulated. The 12 regulated line is at 11.99 and stable. 18V, 20V, and 50V lines all test within range.

#10 6 years ago

OK, so I have no idea what happened, while I was poking around checking voltages I must have un shorted whatever was causing the problem. There must have been something pushing display voltage to the 12 V UR supply.
I'm going to keep this thread open for a bit in case the problem returns.
Thanks everyone for the input.

#11 6 years ago

Still holding strong, still no Idea what caused this...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider buffaloatx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-seems-to-have-350-volts-running-to-the-12-volt-ur-supply?tu=buffaloatx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.