(Topic ID: 186807)

BSD - Rebuilt Flippers and all hell broke loose. Game resets.

By ruddiger52

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So everything was fine and then ...

I Just rebuilt the flippers on my BSD using the Marco rebuild kit. The machine came with FL-11629 coils, I decided to replace with FL-11541 Pincoil brand. I took pics of every connection before starting to make sure I didn't switch any wires by accident. Solder joints look good. I am new to pinball work but have experience soldering electronics.

As soon as I fire up the machine I get a magnet error. I notice the machine is not loading a ball into the staging area. I try and run the magnet test. Not entirely sure what these are, but its telling me there are 22 "faults". Anyway before the test is done the machine resets. I restart the machine and it resets a minute into attract mode.

I restart the machine again and decide to try and start a game. The game launches a ball into the playfield before I hit the launch button. I notice when flipping the lights dim a bit. Then the machine resets when I press both flippers. I try another game and same deal, a ball is launched for me and then eventual reset. I notice sometimes during play the game resets randomly, but it always resets when both flippers are pressed.

The strange thing is the problem is deteriorating. Now the machine keeps resetting before I can start a game or even get into the test menus.

I know there's lots of info here on the common wpc reset issues and I am combing though. I was just hoping that if I listed the order of events of my problem, someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help!

#2 6 years ago

First, I'd go over what you had just done regarding the flippers. Make sure you have the correct wires soldered to the correct lugs. I have had aftermarket coils with the wiring come landed on the wrong lugs and they didn't match the factory coils.

Looking at the lugs, there is one with two copper wires running to it, this is the common lug and should have gray/yellow wire for the left flipper and blue/yellow for the right flipper. The lug with the thick copper wire soldered is the power coil and soldered to that one is the blue/gray for the left flipper and blue/violet for the right, The lug with the thin copper wire is the hold coil and the wire to that one is orange/blue for the left and orange/green for the right.

After that check your fuses on the power driver board and on the fliptronics boards.

Reseat J101, J102, J114 on the power driver board and then J210 on the CPU.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

First, I'd go over what you had just done regarding the flippers. Make sure you have the correct wires soldered to the correct lugs. I have had aftermarket coils with the wiring come landed on the wrong lugs and they didn't match the factory coils.
Looking at the lugs, there is one with two copper wires running to it, this is the common lug and should have gray/yellow wire for the left flipper and blue/yellow for the right flipper. The lug with the thick copper wire soldered is the power coil and soldered to that one is the blue/gray for the left flipper and blue/violet for the right, The lug with the thin copper wire is the hold coil and the wire to that one is orange/blue for the left and orange/green for the right.
After that check your fuses on the power driver board and on the fliptronics boards.
Reseat J101, J103, J114 on the power driver board and then J210 on the CPU.

Thank you for the quick reply. This all sounds like great first steps. I will be doing this tonight. I half suspected the aftermarket having something to do with this. We will see. I will post my results.

Thanks again

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ruddiger52:

Thank you for the quick reply. This all sounds like great first steps. I will be doing this tonight. I half suspected the aftermarket having something to do with this. We will see. I will post my results.
Thanks again

Why not try putting back the original coils? Might help. Coils rarely go bad.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Definitely a good first step. If any of the wires were swapped to the wrong lug, then it would short out the diode on that flipper coil and will cause resets. I had seen this on an Addams Family before.

Use your ohmmeter to test out both flipper coil diodes on each coil you changed. One diode should measure around 5 ohms and the other about 160 ohms. If less than 2 ohms, then it is shorted.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Reseat J101, J102, J114 on the power driver board and then J210 on the CPU.

I agree. This is a good 2nd step in case the wires and diodes check out.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I agree. This is a good 2nd step in case the wires and diodes check out.

Looks like the second step fixed the power problem. Thanks to schudel5's explanation of the lug wiring, it was apparent the coils were wired correctly. Reseating the suggested connectors seem to have eliminated the resetting.

i still see a tiny flicker in the leds when flipping, but wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it.

On to my Mist problems. Thanks all for the help!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ruddiger52:

Looks like the second step fixed the power problem. Thanks to schudel5's explanation of the lug wiring, it was apparent the coils were wired correctly. Reseating the suggested connectors seem to have eliminated the resetting.
i still see a tiny flicker in the leds when flipping, but wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it.
On to my Mist problems. Thanks all for the help!

Not to be a negative nancy, but if that did fix it, the problem could come back. I would invest in the appropriate IDC connectors or Molex connectors with correct crimp ends to have on standby in case the problem returns.

Thread here will have all the parts you need to do that job correctly:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-molex-idc-etc-need-help-getting-started

This particular post will describe everything you need with links:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-molex-idc-etc-need-help-getting-started#post-3705211

Re-run the magnet test. I doubt all 22 came up in that one test; the game would have been pinging like crazy. Let it run completely through, and then count the number of new errors or faults. It'll help give us an idea as to what is going on/the severity of the issue.

We'll get this sorted out!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Not to be a negative nancy, but if that did fix it, the problem could come back. I would invest in the appropriate IDC connectors or Molex connectors with correct crimp ends to have on standby in case the problem returns.
Thread here will have all the parts you need to do that job correctly:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-molex-idc-etc-need-help-getting-started
This particular post will describe everything you need with links:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-molex-idc-etc-need-help-getting-started#post-3705211
Re-run the magnet test. I doubt all 22 came up in that one test; the game would have been pinging like crazy. Let it run completely through, and then count the number of new errors or faults. It'll help give us an idea as to what is going on/the severity of the issue.
We'll get this sorted out!

Great info to have thank you. If the power problem persists I will definitely make upgrading the connectors my next project.

As far as mist goes, I re-ran the mag test. I now get 16 faults. I did the cel phone trick pointing the cam at the white cased transmitter in the right pocket. At no time can I see a glow. Switch 82 "Ball on magnet" always reads open, however if I put my finger into the left pocket I can trip the L opto switch in tests. Im assuming this means the receiver is fine but the transmitter is bad? or I have a bad opto board?

2 weeks later
#10 6 years ago

Well I just got done patting my self on the back for figuring out my mist problem. (Bad transmitter). So I go to play my very first game annnnd ball missing. Start a game anyway and realize ball drains are not recognized. The drain switch is not registering in test. SIGH

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-rebuilt-flippers-and-all-hell-broke-loose-game-resets?hl=ruddiger52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.