BSD myst multiball issues (solved)

By Jodester

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

The old saying is that you fix one thing you break two. I tore down my BSD to clean and put some LED lighting in the machine. The myst was working great before the teardown. Now, all that happens is the ball falls out of the right trap and straight down the playfield. The motor moves the magnet under the playfield and you can see the LED showing underneath as it moves from right to left. The magnet doesn't seem to be powering up. (My guess as I attempted to follow it with another ball on the playfield)

Questions:

Could this be an issue with the opto sensor?
Could I have detached a wire/connector from the magnet while changing bulbs underneath the playfield?(Like at J2 1 or 5)
How much power is being sent to the green and black wires that power the magnet? (Is it 50V?)

#2 11 years ago

From my experience with mist ball, if there is no ball then the magnet will turn off, makes me think the long opto is working. Have you done the Mist ball test T14 or 15 in the test menu?
Also do a single switch test on switch #82, should be closed with no ball in the way of the long opto. Put your hand across the beam should switch to open.

#3 11 years ago

So it the opto senses a ball in the gate, the magnet turns on?

I did the magnet test and it does the exact thing I stated above, gate opens ball falls.

Hmmm...will try the switch 82 test...is that the ball on magnet test?

#4 11 years ago

Test T15 gives me a "power error" Power message when I run the test...

#5 11 years ago

Put the page back in the book.

#6 11 years ago

Just something to check - make sure you don't have a broken wire going to the magnet. Opto may be sensing everything correctly but the ball will drop right down if the magnet doesn't power up.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, check the wiring and connections from the magnet to J2 on the little high current driver board, and then from J1 on that board to J107, J122, and J103 on the power driver board in the backbox.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Put the page back in the book.

I must be missing something...

Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Yeah, check the wiring and connections from the magnet to J2 on the little high current driver board, and then from J1 on that board to J107, J122, and J103 on the power driver board in the backbox.

I am going to check the connections on the magnet itself. Is there any way to get the power going to the magnet other than the T15 test? I wanted to see if it was getting any power at all...

#9 11 years ago

Are there screws that are supposed to hold the magnet in place on the myst? Mine spins...checked it at lunch.

I wonder if I could place a piece of tape over the opto sensor for the myst and then run the test again while metering the power going to the magnet. It I get power to the magnet then it would have to be a loose connection on the magnet itself...

#10 11 years ago

It's the LEDs interfering with the Mist pocket opto. On the right pocket you'll need to keep an incandescent there next to the opto. Just change that one and you should be fine. Not every one has this problem but mine did.

#11 11 years ago

There's a cable that goes to a magnet power board mounted on the bottom left underside of the playfield. This cable can easily get pulled off and will disable the magnet.

See the following article for troubleshooting Mist multiball.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/game-specific/pinball-toys/118-dracula-mist-multiball

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I must be missing something...

Yeah, Myst is a videogame about worlds in books.

Mist is what Dracula transforms into.

#13 11 years ago

Had the same problem and I reseated the cable terry's talking about and never had a problem since.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

There's a cable that goes to a magnet power board mounted on the bottom left underside of the playfield. This cable can easily get pulled off and will disable the magent.
See the following article for troubleshooting Mist multiball.
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/game-specific/pinball-toys/118-dracula-mist-multiball

Many thanks for this! The problem was a loose green/purple wire going to the low power board. After reattaching properly, all works well.

Everyone here is such a great wealth of knowledge. We noobs appreciate all the help!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, Myst is a videogame about worlds in books.
Mist is what Dracula transforms into.

Lol! Yep, I never noticed that. Being an old video gamer I guess I made a Freudian slip.

#16 11 years ago

Great! I'll have to remember that one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-myst-multiball-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.