(Topic ID: 305682)

SOLVED: BSD multiple problems (slam tilt, ramp up error, magnet error, etc)

By JLebowski

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211214-070419_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_20211212_102811 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211212_102850 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

SOLVED: It was a misaligned ribbon cable on the MPU board. I feel so dumb. Thank you all!

Original post: I'm trying to extricate my BSD from a slew of problems the past 2 years. I'd appreciate any guidance you fine folks might offer. I'm not an engineer, but motivated to learn!

Problems start on boot up, the machine displays "Slam Tilt Switch Is Stuck Closed". I've checked both of the slam tilts on the coin door and the floor of cabinet, they are fine and operate normally on switch tests. I checked the door switch, it also operates normally and I even changed it out with my LOTR door switch, so it works fine in that machine. I notice on switch testing that the door switch closes both the door AND slam tilt switches, which seems odd and likely not normal. I do not know why.

Next, after the slam tilt stuck closed display, on opening the coin door it prompts a test report. It lists: Left magnet error, Right magnet error, and a Top Right ramp up error. In addition, there is no GI, no flashers, and no solenoids that fire. The exception is the flippers, which function normally.
- running through the solenoid and GI tests results in no action or lights at all on the table.

I have checked fuses and read them with a DMM, reseated the edge connectors, and even tested the voltages at the solenoid coils (they are reading +73v or +55v depending on the coil, I'm assuming this is nominal voltage?). In addition, LED #3 is always on on the power driver board, which I read in the manual is supposed to be off. I am not sure of the significance of this...

I recently had the power driver and CPU board serviced by Chris Hibler and they were running fine in his WH2O at that time. Since I've gotten them back I have not been able to get the machine running. The DMD and sound seems to be functioning fine.

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated! In addition, if you know a good service tech in the Indy area, I'd be willing to consider that option too! I want my Drac back!

#2 2 years ago

Do you have any alkaline damage on the IC's directly below the batteries on the MPU board?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Do you have any alkaline damage on the IC's directly below the batteries on the MPU board?

The board has had the battery removed long ago and replaced with nvram. I've not seen any alkaline damage at all, but I'll recheck.

#4 2 years ago

I would go every switch on the playfield. Make sure they are wired right. Each switch should be wired the same. White wire to black end of the diode to a lug, green wire to a lug, silver band end of the diode to a lug.

Then check for shorts to switches, switch wiring. Metal parts behind coin door interface board, connectors on wrong or off a pin.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I would go every switch on the playfield. Make sure they are wired right. Each switch should be wired the same. White wire to black end of the diode to a lug, green wire to a lug, silver band end of the diode to a lug.
Then check for shorts to switches, switch wiring. Metal parts behind coin door interface board, connectors on wrong or off a pin.

Thank you Lloyd, I will try this. You are a Pinside sage and I appreciate your time.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from JLebowski:

The board has had the battery removed long ago and replaced with nvram. I've not seen any alkaline damage at all, but I'll recheck.

Post a picture of this MPU please.

#7 2 years ago

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own question.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from JLebowski:

reseated the edge connectors

There are no edge connectors in bsd. Assuming you are talking about the pinned connectors. Are you sure you’ve got these aligned correctly? Sounds like a misplaced or misaligned connector.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Post a picture of this MPU please.

Here's the MPU, looks OK to me.

IMG_20211212_102811 (resized).jpgIMG_20211212_102811 (resized).jpgIMG_20211212_102850 (resized).jpgIMG_20211212_102850 (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

There are no edge connectors in bsd. Assuming you are talking about the pinned connectors. Are you sure you’ve got these aligned correctly? Sounds like a misplaced or misaligned connector.

Yes, sorry, pinned connectors are what it has. I'll try to recheck them today.

#11 2 years ago

look at your ribbon cable in this pic, looks like i see a whole roll of pins.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Yuup

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Nice catch.

Screenshot_20211214-070419_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211214-070419_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

This is why I like pictures. Sometimes problems are not board failures.

#15 2 years ago

Its easy to do reaching over the pin a dimly lit game room. Ive don it a few times.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Its easy to do reaching over the pin a dimly lit game room. Ive don it a few times.

Same here. We’ve all likely done it.

Am I the only one waiting for the OP to come in and triumphantly declare his issues fixed?!!!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Am I the only one waiting for the OP to come in and triumphantly declare his issues fixed?!!!

Might be.

My experience is when they disappear they've fixed it and won't return until the next problem. They are busy playing it.

Especially if it's embarrassing because it's something they did.

Long shot is they gave up and stored it or sold it.

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

SOLVED: ccbiggsoo7 was right! I feel like such an idiot... The ribbon cable to the MPU was misaligned the entire time. The funny part is that I had unplugged it and then misaligned it again! It's working perfectly now.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I took a break from the game for Christmas and to play the new Godzilla we just got in!

A BIG thanks to you all for the attention and suggestions. The MPU picture suggestion was key and lucky that I followed through!

#19 2 years ago

no need to feel stupid, we've all did it at one time or another. anybody that says they haven't is full of crap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-multiple-problems-slam-tilt-ramp-up-error-magnet-error-etc?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.