Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Spraynard
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Seems whenever I drain the last ball to end multiball, but still have one ball in play, my BSD ends the ball and starts tallying bonus. It used to do this every once and a while, but now it is fairly regular.

Checked all my trough switches, castle optos and mist optos, all are working fine. Can't think of what else it could be. Thoughts?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from jimbeam42:

Right number of balls installed?

Yes.

Quoted from pin15:

Mine was doing this after mist multi ball. Everything was working in test mode and game play. In researching the topic on pinside- they said could be a flaky opto- I replaced the mist opto on the right side- fixed the problem. Again it worked and tested perfect in game play etc. Just did this couple nights ago- was bugging for a long while. Good luck with it- great game.

I'll look into it. Both those optos are buried so I'd like to rule out other possible causes things first. Thanks!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Before you tear anything apart, run the magnet (Mist) test a few times and watch for errors. While watching for opto errors (on the display), also watch the trough switches on the display for anything funny there. The optos will give an error if there are problems, but I'm not sure the trough switches will.

Mist test runs perfectly with no errors.

Thanks!

Quoted from ryan1234:

This was happening to me and was REALLY frustrating. It only happened occasionally and I was sure my Dracula was haunted. I found that it was caused from weak solder joints on the opto board(under the playfield) . The long opto worked correctly in switch test... but if I put a little pressure on the playfield it would trigger. I reflowed the connector joints and the problem has totally gone away. It is worth a try and cant hurt. Good luck

The long range opto board?

#11 10 years ago

I'm actually running a homepin board right now.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Yes-
The long range opto board.
It only takes a few minutes to remove and reflow. definitely an easy place to start.
My personal guess is your problem has to do with the long range opto beam. It could be the sender, receiver, wiring, or board. When "mist" mulitball is running it looks at the long beam to see if the ball was knocked off. When the ball IS knocked off the magnet the switch will be "closed" with nothing blocking it (the receiver sees the transmitter beam).
The following scenarios are seen as the same to the CPU and the program will assume that the ball is blocking it.
1. The long opto works and is blocked by a ball.
2. The long opto- sender, receiver, opto board, or wiring, are faulty.
The program assumes the last ball is in the mist gates and ends your play.
Mine would run the "mist test" perfectly every time- but during a game the vibration from other balls and flippers would cause the problems. I could slightly press or shake the playfield and get the opto the open(as if something were blocking the beam.) I used the "switch test" (not mist test) with no ball in the path of the long opto and ran my hand back and forth to test the switch. try shaking the playfield. With nothing in the way the opto should always stay closed.

About 15 months ago I had similar problems with the long range opto. Tried everything, reflowing the solder, replaced the L1 inductor (that worked for a while), replaced the optos, etc. Eventually I broke down and bought the homepin board, and all has been good since.

Made sure all my connectors on the board were snug. One was a little loose and I pushed it down. Did plenty of tests in switch edges. The opto registers exactly how it should. No phantom registering when I shake the game or anything like that. Played a few rounds of multiball with the glass off, and was unable to recreate the early end of ball scenario. Maybe that connector was the problem? I'll have to play a few more games and see. Damn I hate intermittent problems.....

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from millerjl:

It sounds like you're already barking up the right tree, but just in case you need to keep digging never underestimate the power of putting the game in switch test, closing the coin door and hitting the flippers for awhile. If you really want to work on your coordination try it with a ball as well (an assistant to watch the switch test display on the DMD can help here quite a bit as well). Obviously pay special attention to the trough switches and the long range opto on the matrix.

Been trying a little of that, haven't been able to produce any phantom switch hits. Really frustrating....thanks for your suggestion though. Might have a friend come over and watch the DMD for switches to register. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You haven't mentioned the shooter lane switch. You'll want to check that switch closely too.
Since they all seem to be working in test, I would suggest checking the trough and shooter lane micro switches for borderline switch activation. Meaning when a ball rolls over it, it barely triggers. If one is close, adjust the actuator so it triggers earlier. Pounding on the playfield or flipping the flippers may not trigger the iffy switch, but balls being juggled around in the trough might. A switch being too sensitive (triggering too early) may also be part of it, but I would suspect a borderline switch first. See when they activate (slowly move a ball over each switch) and get them all activating at about the same point.
I would also check the entire trough for anything out of place. Seems like I remember BSD having a gate there to prevent balls from going backwards. Make sure all the parts are there and none are bent. IPDB has lots of good pics to compare to.

Good suggestions. I did a lot of tests with the trough and everything seemed to be okay, but I didn't consider the sensitivity of the switches very much. Shooter lane seemed okay too, but I'll look again on all fronts.

Thinking about just replacing all of the trough switches for good measure.

#19 10 years ago

Maybe a break through-- started banging around while switch edges test was on and noticed the ball 2 and 3 switches flicking off and on occasionally. Now to track down why....

#20 10 years ago

Gah, this is driving me nuts. Can't figure out why the trough switches seem to open and closed.

Thought it might have been a loose wire or something, but no dice. Tried adjusting the switches, too. Pretty sure that isn't it, because even I hold the switches down I get the occasional opening and closing.

The weird thing is that it only seems to happen when I bang on the flippers or fire the slings. I can shake or bang on the machine all day, can't get the same behavior. Any ideas?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you've wiggled the wires to those switches while in switch test and not found anything, I'd probably go ahead and replace the switches. Especially if they're factory. Diodes too.

Putting together an order now, thanks. I feel like it's too much a coincidence for both to go bad at the same time, but I guess it could happen.

Quoted from kevinleedrum:

None of the sling switches or flipper EOS switches double-register as trough switches in switch test? No problems from the outhole switch or the other trough ball switches?

No and no. Just trough switch 2 and 3. Even those seem to work, they just sort of flicker open when they should be staying closed.

3 weeks later
#24 10 years ago

Argh! Finally got around to replacing all of the trough switches and diodes. No result! F@(^%#*^*@!!!!!!!!!

Any other suggestions? Maybe a bad connector?

3 weeks later
#25 10 years ago

Played about 30 games and never got an erroneous end of ball. Thought maybe the problem fixed itself. Then I had an awesome game this morning and sure enough that's when it decides to screw me. Had a huge triple multiball going on ball three, drained the penultimate ball, and it ended my game.

So anyways, bump for more help. Would really like to get this worked out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-multiball-problem?tu=spraynard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.