Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jimbeam42
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

How serious a problem could this be? The mechanism to move the magnet works fine, but the magnet either has broken wires, or the magnet itself doesn't work. Can new magnets that are a drop-in replacement be bought?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

The magnet itself would be low on my list of probable problems (unless it has overheated).

Run through the mist test in diagnostics and see what you get. Problems with the long opto can make it look like the magnet is now working.

When you lift the playfield there is a board on the upper left and the connector will often get pulled off the board. Check that.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/game-specific-toys/200-mist-multiball

#3 6 years ago

Gotcha. Do those sensors ever actually die? Or just fall out of adjustment?

This is for a game I'm looking at, not one I own. It's local, and he's selling for $1800.

Should I run away? Or is it something that can definitely be fixed?

#4 6 years ago

After a closer read, it seems it may need new sensors, but those are all obtainable, right?

Is there any part that would conceivably not be available, that would turn the game into a boat anchor?

#5 6 years ago

It should be repairable and all the parts available. There's one part (a choke on the opto board) that is slightly hard to find, but it is available. There is an IC on the opto board that is no longer available, but you can get a reproduction opto board (if that's the problem).

The article I posted earlier will help you troubleshoot the problem if you get the game.

If it's in good cosmetic shape I'd go for it.

#6 6 years ago

Typically on BSD I've seen misalignment of the across the playfield optos (or they're just dead), the opto board has failed (replacements are available), or the coiled cord under the playfield that supplies power to the magnet has a broken wire (very common because it's moving all the time).

I would check the playfield optos first, then do a continuity check on each of the wires in the coiled cord. Make sure you move the harness around a little to simulate like it's moving when you're doing the continuity test.

ANy of these three problems are very easy to fix, and most people shy away from buying one of these if the mist option is working.

Good luck.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Can new magnets that are a drop-in replacement be bought?

One magnet - yes.

Easier to get a new cord.

Test magnet should be in there under coils or mist ball test. If a ball sticks to it you are fine, if not remove the cable and check each wire for an internal break - replace whole cord if you find one.

LTG : )

#8 6 years ago

Sweet! So there's no conceivable way it's un repairable then?

The game has been home use for the past decade, and apparently worked until recently.

There is apparently a 6" gash in the art on one side, but no fade.

Based on that any thoughts on value?

#9 6 years ago

I think for a game that is not working and has bad cabinet art, which is not available by the way, that's high. According to Pinside the game should be 1,700 to 2,000. So far this year five Drac's have sold on eBay for an average of 1,550.

If you have to replace the opto board it's about $84 (AUS) plus shipping, so figure $100.

On the other hand a working Drac in good cosmetic shape would be over 2,000 in SoCal.

#10 6 years ago

My magnet on my BSD wasn't working either when I purchased it. The coiled cord had wire breaks just past the Molex terminal pins. Striped the wire and recrimped new pins and its back in business. Check for continuity in the coiled cable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside