• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170523_015628 (resized).jpg
20170523_015618 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm kind of at all loss here, I just bought this BSD from a fellow Pinsider, it had opto issues to begin with, however I checked the wiring and reseated the connectors and it started working. It was good for a few days and then the other night I turned on the game and almost instantly smelled something burning. After some poking around I saw that the 24 opto board was toasted (pics attached). I took the board off and measured the voltage coming in and it was 12V. So I can't understand what led to this board getting burned up.
I have a replacement Homepin board and I installed it but the long range optos are not registering. I tested the optos with the remote control and it did not register. Also, the left side opto which I believe is the receiver beeps on the switch test when I put a ball in the left gate, but I get nothing on the right side. I swapped the white opto with the one from my FH (since it's torn down) and still can't get the opto to register. Any help would appreciated.

20170523_015618 (resized).jpg20170523_015618 (resized).jpg

20170523_015628 (resized).jpg20170523_015628 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

To burn R4 (zero Ohm) there must have been a shortcut.

Maybe D3 is broken and act asa jumper.

Try this : - Goto switchtest
- Remove connector on J1 (opto board)
- make a jumper op J1 (Pin1 and pin3)
- The switch should light up on switch test.
- if this works you probably have a bad reciever opto or a broken cable going to this opto (It happens a lot).

#3 6 years ago

Thanks pinballdoctor, I tried that and I got the optos to show on the screen. However, it's not conclusive, after testing a few times while shaking the different wires around the Homepin board stopped registering or the green light would come on very faintly.

#4 6 years ago

A couple of tips. First, disregard anything and everything else in the machine apart from the new 24" opto board and the RX and TX devices connected to it. Ignore the self tests in the machine.

Get the green LED on the new board to light when 12V is applied to the board. It will indicate when the TX LED is working and when the opto RX is receiving the TX signal. Maybe these parts need replacing? Maybe the wires or plugs between them and the board are faulty?

Until you do this nothing else will work so don't be distracted and run off on tangents. The green LED MUST light to indicate the beam is working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 84.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-mist-multiball-and-opto-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.