• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WD--__Slot_mechanism_,.jpg
WD--__Slot_mechanism-1__.jpg
#1 11 years ago

It doesnt say anything in the manual about lubrication, but I know that most pins are designed to operate without it. My mist motor doesnt have enough ooomph to start the screw turning but if I give it a tap it works fine. The game sat for YEARS unplayed and was wondering if I need a new motor (it is quite loud) or if there is something I can use/do to get it back into shape?

The mist feature worked fine for the first week that I had it and nothing has really changed...
Im just checking before I have to search for a new assembly.
Thanks

B_R in

#2 11 years ago

I can't remember if I ever put lube on the plastic rod assembly. if you do this, don't put on too much and use a silicone lube. I'd try to clean it first, prior to trying lube.

I'd first probably just take a look at it (the entire assembly end-to-end) and see if it's binding somewhere or is dirty or if someone else lubed it with WD40 sometime. Clean everything (you can) with a rag/toothbrush with solvent to remove any dirt/gunk/dried lube. Then go from there if that doesn't help.

WD40 is good for what it was intended for, but in a pinball machine it picks up a lot of dust and eventually becomes sticky/gummy...thus making the whole situation worse. Since it is a kerosene based material, it does work well to clean the old lube off parts, then use a solvent based cleaner to remove the WD40. Do this only if after trying a solvent based cleaner first, the old lube is still there.

Robert

#3 11 years ago

I wouldnt lube it. There were plenty parted out or there may be a new motor available.

#4 11 years ago

To the loudness, I recall mine being pretty loud and it worked fine.

#5 11 years ago

I would try to get it as clean as possible and then exercise it a bit in test mode -- if it still has problems then spring for the new motor -- love it when that mist ball is working well, good luck!!!

#6 11 years ago

I've never had a Problem w/ the motor on mine , but I suppose it could short out , get Hot and lock up like any other motor driven device on a pin .. I had to replace 2 stepper motor's on the Slot machine of Who Dunnit .. Good Luck ..

WD--__Slot_mechanism-1__.jpgWD--__Slot_mechanism-1__.jpg WD--__Slot_mechanism_,.jpgWD--__Slot_mechanism_,.jpg

#7 11 years ago

If you need a new one...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=5D925BBD09434C04411421D0DF05A5FB.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=a-16050

Before I spent $70 on a new one, I'd try to take the old one apart, it's probably all gunked up.

Robert

#8 11 years ago

Spin the mist assy by hand with the motor removed. Is the spinning rod binding anywhere? Are the brackets on both ends parallel to each other and not tweaked?

Take the whole assy out, clean everything, and reinstall it. Might help!

#9 11 years ago

Yeah I figured Ill rip into it tonight if all else fails at least there are still new ones available!
Thanks for all the info
Ill report back when I can

#10 11 years ago

So UPDATE!

I went to town on this jackscrew/motor assembly and found that my motor was shot. Not needing the gearbox I went to Radio Shack and they had a motor that fits/works perfect. Also picked up a remote battery holder to get those timebombs off my boards!
So for less than $10 I'm a happy camper. If there is any issues with this motor I will be sure to report back.
Its half as loud and twice as fast

#11 11 years ago

Motor gears, in my opinion, are the ONLY exception to the rule as far as lubrication goes.

One drop of 3 in 1 oil on the gear(s) should be plenty.

Glad you got it all figured out.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

I went to Radio Shack and they had a motor that fits/works perfect

Great...do you have a p/n for the motor.

People would probably like to know that if they do a search later for the same or similar issue.

Robert

#13 11 years ago

Yes, please. For less than $10 it's worth having. Also, are you sure it's the same speed and everything?

#14 11 years ago

It is not the same speed, it seems faster but my motor was on its way out...You only have time for one good shot, maybe two if you get a quick return to the flipper. I think it is an acceptable solution to having to pay $70 for something I dont really need right now.

The part number is 273-256

Just had to slip the gear off the old motor and locktight it to the shaft of the new motor.

#15 11 years ago

Funny....I just won the ebay bid for a used mist assembly.

1 year later
#16 10 years ago

I used this radioshack hobby motor and controlled it by putting 4.3 ohms in series with it (5.1 ohm resistor 25 W in parallel with two 25 ohm 10 W). This resistors are the white block kind and do get warm if you keep running the motor during test. I didn't have the resistors to try to control the motor in shunt but you get better low rpm torque with series control than shunt anyways. This slowed the motor down to about what I found it to be with the older motor.

#17 10 years ago

Also, the gear that was on the axel of the old motor, I couldn't slip it off so I cut it off with my dremel. I then cut the axel a little shorter on the new radioshack motor and then used lock tight to put the old gear on the axel backwards. By putting it on backwards, I didn't have to drill out the portion of the old axel that was stuck in the gear. I then cut off a little bit of the old gear so the case could shut correctly. It works and I used blue locktite so I should be able to pull it off if I need to. Drilling out the revits on the gearbox was a pain but if you drill them out you'll be able to lubricate the gears regularly and the mounting screws will hold shut the case anyways.

#18 10 years ago

I watched one of the Pappa videos on how fast the ball moves across the field (which is faster than my old motor) and used a 25 ohm W potentiometer in parallel with the 4.3 ohms and just dialed it in until it matched the Pappa video. The total series resistance is probably around 3.5 ohms. This could have done with just the 5 ohm resistor in parallel with the potentiometer. The point of putting the potentiometer in parallel with resistor/s is to get by with small wattage potentiometer. RadioShack didn't carry any above 3 W.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-mist-motor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.