Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by roffels
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

So my BSD is acting up again...BIG MEANIE! When the ball is locked into the right MIST gate hole and I have a ball on the PF during gameplay....the left MIST gate has lifted up on me during gameplay and sometimes while it's open my ball squeezes into that hole during play...which than causes the magnet to run over to the other side and the right MIST gate ball to drop into play....it's weird! And it's been happening often. I know that the right gate is nice and tight....like I can move it around but you can feel the tension. The left gate is very loose...no tension it's just bouncy. When I mess with the left gate manually it stays down but during gameplay I guess the ball bangs into it popping it up and leaving it open for the ball to accidentally slide into the hole. Is this left hole gate supposed to be loose like that? It seems to have a different spring than the right gate....just trying to figure this one out.....ISSUES!

#2 12 years ago

BSD is my Keeper 4-Life,, The spring on the Left gate on my BSD look's like the Rt-side, The Only issue that I've had with the gate's was on the Left-side of mine Also.. When the small magnet engages , it Pull's the Gate up by way's of a Spring attached.( Mine has a Wire now ) My Spring broke, I got a Heavy duty Copper Wire that had 10 or 20 Strand's of Copper wire inside and made me a New Gate Opener Linkage.. It Now Open's and Close's Proper . Does yr Left Gate Open Correctly during Mist ball ? I also had some Trouble with my Rt-Flipper Opto button. I swab'd the Opto ,, It's ok now !!

#3 12 years ago

Ok so I performed a MAGNET test numerous times and here is what happened 9 times out of 10. The magnet would grab the ball and take it over to the left gate hole. The hole doesn't pop all the way up but it's loose...kind of like a swinging gate but still holds there. The ball slides underneath that gate into the left hole. The spring is still intact but like I said there is no tension...not like the right side and I don't know if there should be any?? Now here is the issue too....as the magnet continues on with the test and grabs the ball from the left to right....3/4's of the way over the gate pops open than closes immediately...not letting the ball in as it drops down to the drain hole. I swabbed both optos on either side with a cue tip but it still didn't perform the test properly. any ideas?

#4 12 years ago

I heard of a similar problem that was due to a home made replacement gate. I can't remember the detail but it was something to do with it becoming magnetized and attracted to balls nearby. Maybe worth checking that the gate isn't magnetic.

Good luck

#5 12 years ago

I don't think it's that emo as this problem has just arised. I mean I have had the machine for months now....and it worked flawlessly with the MIST gates in the beginning. If the gate was magnetic it would have happened all the time from the moment I got it.

#6 12 years ago

Up on the house top.....BUMP BUMP BUMP.

My main issue now is that when the ball is stationed at the left gate and the magnet drags the ball to the right gate (during MAGNET test in menus) about 3/4 's of the way over the gate opens and immediately closes..not letting the ball in. This causes a magnet error as the ball rams into the gate and forces the ball down the drain. I am stumped to why this is happening?! The gate on the left stays open long enough to let the ball in...the right gate....no such thing happening.

#7 12 years ago

Is there a test for the gates? Maybe as part of the coil test?

#8 12 years ago

I don't see one...just a flipper coil test.

#9 12 years ago

I took the whole coil/spring/post sleeve post assembly apart and cleaned it...it was a bit dirty. It all looks good and moves smoothly....no problems there as its pulling the gate and letting it go...it just will not leave the gate open long enough to get into the hole. After I cleaned it I tested it again and the first time it worked spot on...the next 2 it failed. And I just played for a bit and it failed during gameplay as well. Still stumped!

#10 12 years ago

Ok so I looked up this issue trying to find someone who has dealt with it and I found one....but I have no idea what's he is talking about...can anybody put this in something a NOOB would understand? The guy writes...

"I fixed this issue late last night. After doing a little more
searching previous members issues that were very similar to mine, I
decided to swap Fliptronics PCB's with my Dirty Harry. The Fliptronics
board from DH did NOT fix the issue, it was still only working about
half the time. But while I had the Fliptronics board from BSD out, I
decided to at the 100uf 100v cap to the C2 location on the board. I
had read others have done this and it might have possibly fixed thier
issue with the right or left gate. Well it totally fixed mine. I have
run the "magnet on+right" test about 35 times with no failure. The
right gate will open at or around the time the ball passes over Mina's
head and now stays open until the ball is secure in the pocket.

I hope others that have this issue now or in the future find this info.
This is a really simple fix to an otherwise hair-pulling issue. My
Fliptronics board in BSD is not the original one, as the serial numbers
don't match. "

I don't know what a 100uf is or a 100v cap to c2.... Can anybody explain all this mumbo jumbo?!haha

#11 12 years ago

If you have the BSD manual (if not get it! ), you can look on page 68~
you will see the Fliptronic II board, on the right side of the board pictured
you can see the C2 capacitor, as far as I understand he says that the problem
is there so you can check it and if needed, replace it

#12 12 years ago

its a capacitor - are all the optos working also in both gate areas?

#13 12 years ago

I dont see how the fliptronics board is tied into this problem.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

are all the optos working also in both gate areas?

This is more of what i was thinking.

#15 12 years ago

All optos register when I run the tests. The capacitor that he showed IS missing on my board....identical to the one on his board (I got in touch with the guy and he shared pics of his board)....he said he soldered his on and ran the test 35 times with out a hitch...soooo thats going to be my next step in solving the issue. I have ordered the capacitor to get the job done. When it's finished I will report back here if it was successful or a bust! Thanks much!!

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

All optos register when I run the tests. The capacitor that he showed IS missing on my board....identical to the one on his board (I got in touch with the guy and he shared pics of his board)....he said he soldered his on and ran the test 35 times with out a hitch...soooo thats going to be my next step in solving the issue. I have ordered the capacitor to get the job done. When it's finished I will report back here if it was successful or a bust! Thanks much!!

Good to hear Mr.Bundy and let me know if that doesnt work.I have a Fliptronics board
that is Minty fresh that i would be more than glad to send to ya to helpout with your
problem.

#17 12 years ago

Thanks mr. MINTY fresh!! I'll keep you...and that....on top of my list if things don't work out kind sir!!

#18 12 years ago

Good find, hope that will fix it for you!

Btw, just a 'lil question, I bought a new regular pair of flippers
for my BSD to replace the lightning ones, as far as I understand
there's that one nut I need to loosen in order to pull out the
flipper - but it won't budge! I'm afraid to break anything :\
Is that the way? do you guys have any better method?

#19 12 years ago

I can't help you there darkslim....I love my lightning flippers!! Why the change out?? The league I play in has the regular flippers and I HATE them...haha. I like the game to be as challenging as possible...makes me a better play...quickerererer!!!

#20 12 years ago

They are nice hehe apart from them being a bit dirty (somehow it won't come off) I just wanna try the normal ones, also my friends and guests will be able to enjoy it a bit more I hope

I'll try looking at it again :\

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from DarkSlim:

I'll try looking at it again :\

Once the nut on the flipper shaft clamp is loose, take a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the clamp open a bit, and the flipper shaft should pull right out.

1 week later
#22 12 years ago

Thanks shock_me! I saw it but those nuts are so hard to loosen!
I'm afraid to break something if I put more power on it

1 week later
#23 12 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that soldering on that capacitor FIXED my MIST gate issue. It opens and stays open 100% of the time. Weird how a cap that just wasn't there was part of a problem that wasn't a problem before....but it totally fixed the issue.

thanks for everyones replies and help....much appreciated!!

5 years later
#24 6 years ago

Just want to let others know the addition of the listed Capacitor at C2 will fix the fluttering right gate. I had the same problem and was stumped until I found this post and added the Capacitor to the Fliptronics board. Now I can get Misty again!

2 years later
5 months later
#26 3 years ago

I was just trying to troubleshoot this exact problem. It would have never occurred to me to check the fliptronics board! Sure enought, my board is missing this cap. I guess it wasn't used on all games. Maybe it's only on games that use the extra flipper drivers for other solinoids?

Caps have been ordered!

Thanks for this post!!!

8 months later
#27 2 years ago

I am having an issue with the left gate on my BSD not opening. Where should I be looking on the fliptronics board?

4 weeks later
#28 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I am having an issue with the left gate on my BSD not opening. Where should I be looking on the fliptronics board?

Was a bad coil

9 months later
#29 1 year ago

Just wanted to add a thanks to everyone for the solution - my fliptronics board was also missing the capacitor, and my right gate would not stay open long enough for the ball to enter. Just added the capacitor, and all is working correctly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-mist-gates-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.