Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

garage_pins.JPG
P1060284.JPG
P1060277.JPG
P1060276.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So, I've bought on sold on Ebay for a long time. I look at pictures, ask question, but also trust feedback score as well, to give me an idea of seller.

Anyway, I had my 1st bad experience and am looking for ideas. The game overall looks good, the cab has been restored, not perfect but nice. I was not told it had been redone, but have no issues with that. What I do have issues with is when the seller says machine is very nice, shiney playfield with some wear at rat hole. No biggie, Ciffy time. Game is also list at 100% pays great, boards clean, machine clean inside and out.

The cabinet is straight and looks good overall, but I was disappointed with the screw holes when I noticed them, pissed that the seller didn't mention these. This isn't one or two holes, this is like 6-7 and the ones in the middle protrude the playfield and just a matter of time before plafield flakes off there. After opening machine I discover half the screws are not in flipper assembly and they are just wobbling around. Basically seller got it just good enough to get attached to playfield. The flippers have obviously jst been rebuilt.

My question these screw holes are big. Looks like they tried to use bigger screws to compensate for the stripped holes. I have ordered Dr. Grip (stripped hole filler) as recommended by a few pinsiders, but just curious how I should attack this?

I thought if you had a large metal plate, you could attatch assemble to the plate and mount the plate to the playfield, where the screws would go into untouched areas on the bottom of playfield.

I think I can repair the holes mostly with some filling and touch up, my big concern is the middle area where the laminate surface feels like its lifting? Any ideas? Am i totally F'd?

Trying to get some resolution with seller, but might see how well paypal supports buyers if it can't get resolved directly with seller. Glad I paid 500 too much and 350 in shipping as well...sigh

BTW - If you have a BSD playfield I might be very interested. Please let me know, thanks // Error: Image 74567 not found // P1060276.JPGP1060276.JPG P1060277.JPGP1060277.JPG P1060284.JPGP1060284.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I feel for ya, that really sucks. He mentions outhole wear but nothing about the screw holes. Looked up listing and conveniently does not show close up of that area. You definitely got screwed. Worst possible place for that too. Just going to stare back at you every time you play the game. Game looks good other wise and you would of got good deal if not for that major blemish.

#3 11 years ago

Believe me it really sucks. Thanks though. What's crazy is the wear on rat hole is pretty minor. These flippers have just been rebuilt, no way seller did not see this. He purposely withheld information. I could never do that to someone, especially when they are paying for shipping. The cab was painted and cleared (with like a can clear) overall okay, but I can make nice respraying clear with compressor and gun. They did a great job on back of cab and re screening factory warning.

I did buy his Sharkey's Shootout too. It seems okay, fair amount of wear, but that was expected.

garage_pins.JPGgarage_pins.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Call your local retailer, ask them how much they charge to do a play field swap. Search the Internet for a nice used BSD play field. Estimate prices if you have to. Ask seller for those two amounts of money back. He will refuse. Ask again, he will refuse. File a product not as described claim with PayPal, DO NOT WAIT.

Have all the documentation you can to back up your prices.

#5 11 years ago

Wow, that's not cool at all. There's not a lot you can do about it cosmetically without having the whole playfield restored, but it shouldn't be hard to at least fill those holes from the bottom to properly mount the flipper plates. The thing that really sucks is it looks like the protrusions will definitely affect the ball's travel, especially when doing fine ball-handling down by the flippers. I'm sorry man, that's pretty rough.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

The cab was painted and cleared (with like a can clear) overall okay

Aww man, I was gonna say "at least the cabinet is awesome"

#7 11 years ago

Is this what they call planking in the bsd playfield?

I had a problem on ebay buying an NBAFB also. The machine was sold in '100% working condition' but it was missing a few major items like the plumb bob, cash box, backbox lock etc. My response was that the machine could not be set up for business lacking these items, and it wasn't in 100% working condition. Emailing the guy in ebay didn't help, but as soon as I filed a claim he responded and paid up.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from pinij93:

You definitely got screwed.

i see what you did there.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

but might see how well paypal supports buyers if it can't get resolved directly with seller.

There should be no doubt about doing this. I think the game was GROSSLY misrepresented.

Quoted from jalpert:

File a product not as described claim with PayPal, DO NOT WAIT.

yes, this. 100% agree.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Is this what they call planking in the bsd playfield?
I had a problem on ebay buying an NBAFB also. The machine was sold in '100% working condition' but it was missing a few major items like the plumb bob, cash box, backbox lock etc. My response was that the machine could not be set up for business lacking these items, and it wasn't in 100% working condition. Emailing the guy in ebay didn't help, but as soon as I filed a claim he responded and paid up.

Those things I could deal with (missing cash box, plumb bob etc) although not ideal. My first pin had tons of issues, but nothing that was clearly misrepresented. I was upset, but fixed the hacks and cleaned machine up. This is different, the right assemble had like 3 of the 8 screws that secure to play field in, the assembly was just hanging on. No mention of any screw hole damage or anything. Thankfully the majority of the damage is in a spot where it does not effect ball roll drastically, but I can see light through the holes (like hollow underneath the art)

Quoted from jalpert:

Call your local retailer, ask them how much they charge to do a play field swap. Search the Internet for a nice used BSD play field. Estimate prices if you have to. Ask seller for those two amounts of money back. He will refuse. Ask again, he will refuse. File a product not as described claim with PayPal, DO NOT WAIT.
Have all the documentation you can to back up your prices.

Thanks. Chose not to wait on seller to get back to me. Filled a complaint with paypal/ebay. Very curious to see how this proceeds from here. Never thought I would have to do this.

#10 11 years ago

As much as eBay can be a great tool, it's always a leap of faith when you buy a machine sight-unseen. I've bought three games like that, and two out of the three burned me. Bought a SI that was labeled as totally restored, I had a ton of pictures, but when I got it it was just not what it should have been. It had shiny paint, but that's about it. Same thing with a TAF. Billed as being really really nice, but once I got it I found a handful of things that were beyond normal wear and tear.
The nice thing about eBay is that you have some recourse. Glad you filed a claim!

#11 11 years ago

Arent playfields impossible to find for this?

I would expoxy fill the holes, touch up and mylar the areas. Call it a players machine. Ramps and plastics can be hard to come by too. Playfield swap would be a bitch.

How much did you pay?

You should have bought mine a few months ago when it was on Craigslist Tampa. I let it go for 2200. Lots of upgrades.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

fine ball-handling

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Thanks. Chose not to wait on seller to get back to me. Filled a complaint with paypal/ebay. Very curious to see how this proceeds from here. Never thought I would have to do this.

don't do ANYTHING to the game before you resolve the dispute.

#14 11 years ago

The repair costs will exceed the value of the machine.

Kruzman had a restorable playfield at one point. I bet you're looking at around a grand.

The labor on a BSD playfield swap from me would be $1000+. It's a ton of work.

I'd say return it for a refund if possible - unless you would want to keep it as-is for a lower price.

#15 11 years ago

Wait I just remembered some one on this board has a clear coated BSD playfield. Azumto?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Wait I just remembered some one on this board has a clear coated BSD playfield. Azumto?

he sold one about 1/2 year ago, maybe? I inquired, it was gone same day (i think??).

#17 11 years ago

Did you give the seller a kind revue?

#18 11 years ago

I have filed a complaint and am still trying to make contact with the seller. I do wish I had bought Av8's BSD, but wasn't in the market at the time.

Sucks because I had already bought Flippper Fidelity setup, LEDs, and really wanted to restore to very nice condition. This pin is very nice except the holes above the flipper mechs. I know I could get it working, but just pissed someone could so obviously mislead someone. Literally maybe 1 screw per assembly grabs the wood of the playfield. The others either will not stay in the holes or just look like they are in, but have no grab whatsoever. The two screw holes above the insert between flippers are really bad. Light shines through the holes, almost hollow.

I want to leave negative feedback, but want to wait till this plays out first. Wouldnt mind a return to seller, but since I have already spent 350 for shipping, don't really want to eat another 350.

#19 11 years ago

I would send it back. Even if i had to pay 350...

#20 11 years ago

is this the one from pensacola?

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

is this the one from pensacola?

Yes. As it stands right now the seller has agreed to refund $500 or I can send it back. I like this game, but would not have paid 1500 for it. I also don't want to spend another 350 to get it back to him and have nothing.

I am leaning towards closing the deal w/ the 500 refund vs. relying on Ebay/Paypal to broker the deal. I just want to get this behind me and with the case closed, at least I can get to try and fix this thing. Pretty sure I can get the assemblies tight and secure. Some of the smaller holes should be easy to fill and touch up. My biggest concern is the 2 above the center insert. Very hollow and raised up. I think I will clamp a board to top of playfield above damage so I can backfill and hopefully get it to dry mostly flat.

#22 11 years ago

Personally Id send it back and do everything possible to recoup any cost incurred from the transaction.

I play my BSD all the time and that tortured playfield would drive crazy.

Hope you get it resolved to YOUR satisfaction.

Who is the seller?

#23 11 years ago

Look at this way you pay $1500 for and education on buying pinball on Ebay. You get a free BSD when you complete your course. Let us know how it ends.

#24 11 years ago

I'd take the $500. $1k for that BSD is a decent deal and you can learn amateur playfield repair on it

#25 11 years ago

Looking at the ebay auction...it looks like this is the first pinball related item they've sold. The cab looks to be REAL nice for a BSD. It's hard to tell if they intentionally screwed ya. The add did seem to reference the 'mist' multi ball...which would indicate they knew something about pinball.

I'd push for a little more cash...then send the PF out to Neo for the repair. Maybe Neo can get ya an estimate which would probably be in the $800 range. You can tell the sell you'll do the labor of the PF swap (saving them $500ish?)...they pay for PF the repair.

The cab looks in nice enough shape to make the PF repair worth while

My guess is you have $2350 into the game or $1850 with the refund

#26 11 years ago

Hey ToasterDog! Sorry to hear this I am still loving the Ripleys you sold me everyone wants it LOL! Tough call on what to do? I am thinking if its only in pensacola maybe you can get it back up there less than $350 somehow, surely another floridian can help out? Maybe check with some of the guys out of Tallahasee?

#27 11 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't want to be into that game for more than a grand. I wouldn't settle for less than a $1000 refund. The playfield needs to be sent to a pro to be properly repaired.

#28 11 years ago

The cab is nice, but not perfect. Fadeon one side was restored with marker (I think) and clearcoated. I can make it alot better IMO. The actual cabinet is very nice. The inside is clean and the back is perfect. The playfield looks good minus the damage. I really don't want to do a full tear down at this point or sink a considerable more amount of $ into it.

With the refund and my shipping I will be around 1750 into it. I had 2 pins shipped for 460, so 230 a pin. Sharkey's Shootout is actually pretty fun and was not misrepresented, so not quite as bad if I had only shipped 1 pin.

I plan on taking lots of pictures to show my results, good or bad. Recently I have had only newer Sterns, so it is somewhat cool to have a pin to tinker with again.

#29 11 years ago

Sorry if it sounds like i was piling on with the comments. I just think you deserve a bigger refund and want to encourage you to get it.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Personally, I wouldn't want to be into that game for more than a grand. I wouldn't settle for less than a $1000 refund. The playfield needs to be sent to a pro to be properly repaired.

If we don't resolve in 7 days, Ebay resolves for us. Not totally sure I want to go that route. If I send back, my cost. I will be in for $600 minimum with nothing to show. If nothing else, this will just be a hard lesson learned. I'm still hoping to make the best of it though.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Sorry if it sounds like i was piling on with the comments. I just think you deserve a bigger refund and want to encourage you to get it.

Not at all. I want to share my dilemma so others don't get burnt down the road, or at least know what to expect if they do dispute a transaction.

#32 11 years ago

Strap the pin to a pallet and send it back COD... then you're only out $350

If they refuse it you have the proof to Ebay you sent it back.

Wondering if you could even do a small claims thing for the original $350..being you're both in the same state.

Actually I'm seeing where this could be a major PITA. Maybe taking the $500 and chalking it up to a learning experiences would be the way to go. I'm getting pretty lazy in my old age. I think I would still push for more cash

Quoted from Toasterdog:

Not at all. I want to share my dilemma so others don't get burnt down the road, or at least know what to expect if they do dispute a transaction.

#33 11 years ago

Fill it and paint it. All machines have problems. You could hide those pretty easy. $1500 is not a horrible price for a BSD, even with some playfield damage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-massively-stripped-playfeld-holes-flipper-assemblies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.