(Topic ID: 267050)

BSD long-opto needs time to warm up

By Zennmaster

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello.

I was having the classic Mist issue where the magnet would run back and forth and the mist ball would not populate.
This thread was the exact issue I was having:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-ball-on-magnet-issue

After reading through that thread, I ordered the caps and the inductor mentioned in it with the intention of replacing L1, C7 and C10 on the 24 opto board. While I was waiting, I cleaned both ends of the opto switch with q-tips and window cleaner. That got switch 82 to work in test, and Mist would work perfectly for about 1 game, then the issue returned. This worked a few times, but always reverted shortly.

Today I got the caps and the choke, replaced them, and also re-flowed all the header pins on the 24 opto board.

Now at bootup, the problem remains, but after about 2-3 minutes everything seems to work just fine, and as long as the game stays on, everything works just like it's supposed to. As a test, I shut the game down and let it cool, then started it up and immediately put it into switch test on 82. It started off solid "open", then after a couple of minutes started "chattering" closed, and eventually settled down and started working correctly.

If I do a "quick reboot" just letting the game sit off for a few seconds, it comes back on working fine, which makes me think there is something that needs to literally "warm up" to an operating temperature in order to work properly. Any idea what I should be looking at?

More data: at "cold boot" I am seeing approximately 15VDC at the header pins of J118 on the driver board with the connector removed, so no load. For a 12V unregulated line, this seems fine to me.

I also saw this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-dracula-mist-opto-intermittent-
and this one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aligning-bsd-mist-optos

But in both cases the OP never followed up as to what ended up working.

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Update: After a couple of hours, it looks like the long opto has quit again. I have verified that the 15VDC that I was seeing at J118 on the driver board is making it to the opto board, and using @zaza's resistor test as outlined in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-mist-woes-long-beam-opto , I get a "jittery" signal when shorting the pins on J1 and J2, but I get a solid signal at any time by using a diode to short pins 1 and 3 on J3. This suggests to me that the wiring under the playfield is very likely fine. Now I'm looking at the connectors on the board, and really, really dreading having to replace the opto (I am mostly concerned about trying to get it aligned, and I am also finding some conflicting information as to whether the transmitter and receiver are a different part than a "normal" opto).

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Update: Replaced the 24 opto board with a Homepin board. Right at boot the switch worked, and an hour or so into testing it looks solid. I'll work on the old board and see if I can restore it, but it appears that the problem has been solved.

2 months later
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from hugepockets:

I am having the same issue. Replacing C10 and D3 on the 24 opto board got it working for me, but it needs time to warm up for some reason. Just like yours after a couple of minutes it works fine. Did you ever figure out the issue with the original board?

Not yet. Since the replacement board worked perfectly, repairing the old board got a severe demotion in priority. I do plan to get to it eventually, and I will probably end up shotgunning it, and just replace everything until it works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 5.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-long-opto-needs-time-to-warm-up?tu=Zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.