Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0408.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I posted this on rgp looking for a solution

So I tore down my BSD and all went well and put back together. I changed out most of the lighting to leds when I noticed that the lights for the 2million insert on the cross on the playfield, coffin lock insert and the dracula face all seemed to be lit constantly. When the lights are going off in attract mode those 3 seem to be out of sequence and just have a bright flicker instead of going on and off in sequence with the rest of the lights.

I went into the lamp tests in diagnostics and noticed those inserts would come on with other lights in the single lamp tests. This may have been happening when I bought It but I didnt notice because it wasnt affecting game play and I wasnt real familiar with the rules.

So with all that said I would like to remedy this problem but am not sure where to start. Also those lamps are hotter than the rest because they are lit the majority of the time and are still getting hot even though they are leds.l

Any help is appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Are they all in the same row or column?

#3 11 years ago

This is pretty common. And for whatever reason before LEDs you won't notice it (even though the problem exists). Most likely cause is a diode shorted or a socket miswired do that the diode is either not present or not doing its job. What you can do is work in single lamp test and make a chart. Like when 11 is on so is 21, 31, 81.
When 12 is on so 22, 32, 82.

If you can make that chart then it gives some hints at which sockets to look at. If you can paste those results here we can help you further if needed.

#4 11 years ago

What Ive found under the lamp test and lamp matrix in the book is the coffin lock, 2 mil and the drac face are all on column 1 row 6,7,8 respectivley and they all light up with the lights from the subsequent column and rows all the way across. Meaning coffin lock is column 1 row 6 and it lights with column 2 row 6 and column 3 row 6 ect. And so do the others to their rows and columns.

Hope I explained that ok.

#5 11 years ago

Ok so when coffin lock (16) is tested under single lamp test it comes on by itself when 26,36,46,56,66,76 and 86 are tested under single lamp test 16 comes on with them. Same with 2 million (17) comes on with 27,37,47,57,67,77 and 87 and the same with dracs face (18) with 28,38,48,58,68,78 and 88

Im stumped? Im trying to trace wires right now but not sure what im looking for?

Anyone have any suggestions?

#6 11 years ago

2 million and dracs face are backward in my posts, dracs face is 17 and 2 mil is 18

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is pretty common. And for whatever reason before LEDs you won't notice it (even though the problem exists).

Yeah, stray voltage may not be enough to lite incandescents but probably enough for LEDs. I think you'l have to check that row of wires to find a short.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Ok so when coffin lock (16) is tested under single lamp test it comes on by itself when 26,36,46,56,66,76 and 86 are tested under single lamp test 16 comes on with them. Same with 2 million (17) comes on with 27,37,47,57,67,77 and 87 and the same with dracs face (18) with 28,38,48,58,68,78 and 88
Im stumped? Im trying to trace wires right now but not sure what im looking for?
Anyone have any suggestions?

Ok. So start at all the lights on col 1: 11, 12, 13, etc and look at each socket. It should have a wire and a diode. The first ones I would suspect are any that are 44 twist bulbs. Often the diode gets bent and shorts to the casing of the socket causing this. The actual wpc light boards are less likely to have issues. But you can unplug them in mass to see of your problem goes away. It'll be caused by a diode either being bent, shorted, or worn out allowing current to pass back.

#9 11 years ago

Interesting, what you're describing sounds to me like an open circuit. Meaning, the transistor that drives column #1 (Q98 on my WH2O - should be the same for all WPC titles) is shorted and open all the time. However, it that was the case you would see the same problem across every row not just rows 6 through 8. For example, in row #1 lamps (21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, and 81) would all trigger lamp 11 as well. This is the same pattern you're describing, but only on rows 6 through 8. Are you sure that this isn't happening for every other row as well? Again, if that is the case then you need to look at the TIP 102 transistor (Q98) or it's pre-transistor used to drive column #1 of the lamp matrix. Let me know what you find.

#10 11 years ago

Go to the test single lamp mode of one of the lamps that make the extra lamps light.

One by one, go down the column and take out each bulb. When you get to the one that is the problem only the light that is supposed to be lit will be. After that, figure out what the problem is... bad diode, wired to the wrong lug, circuit board problem, etc.

I had this problem with my TAF and it drove me nuts for the longest time. In the end it turned out that on one lamp they had soldered to the wrong lug, completely bypassing the diode (easy to spot and fix), the other was a phantom trace on one of my lighting boards (much more difficult to figure out). I actually had to scratch down into the board to sever a trace that wasn't supposed to be there.

Good luck!

Chris

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Interesting, what you're describing sounds to me like an open circuit. Meaning, the transistor that drives column #1 (Q98 on my WH2O - should be the same for all WPC titles) is shorted and open all the time. However, it that was the case you would see the same problem across every row not just rows 6 through 8. For example, in row #1 lamps (21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, and 81) would all trigger lamp 11 as well. This is the same pattern you're describing, but only on rows 6 through 8. Are you sure that this isn't happening for every other row as well? Again, if that is the case then you need to look at the TIP 102 transistor (Q98) or it's pre-transistor used to drive column #1 of the lamp matrix. Let me know what you find.

The reason its only 6-8 is because on column 1 row 1-5 isnt used. So that tells me that it is transistor at Q98 but my book is showing TIP107. I was gonna start with replacing the transistor or is this not a good idea?

#12 11 years ago

The reason its only 6-8 is because on column 1 row 1-5 isnt used.

Ok, well that makes more since. Also, you're right about the TIP107. TIP102s are used for the rows while 107s are used for the columns (had to look in a WPC manual, sorry about that). Anyway, to test transistor Q98 you need to do the following with the machine powered down: (1) Use a multimeter in diode test and put the black lead on the center post of Q98. The transistor has three posts that connect it to the power driver board. Or you could put the black lead on the metal tab on top of the transistor, same thing as putting it on the center post. (2) Now put the red meter lead on the left post and you should read between .4 and .6 on your meter. (3) Now repeat step two, but put the red lead on the right post. Again, you should read between .4 and .6 on the meter.

Let me know what you find. If you read zero for either (2) or (3) then the transistor is bad and needs to be replaced. If the transistor is good we can take a look at individual diodes for lamps 16, 17, and 18.

#13 11 years ago

The reason its only 6-8 is because on column 1 row 1-5 isnt used. So that tells me that it is transistor at Q98 but my book is showing TIP107. I was gonna start with replacing the transistor or is this not a good idea?

Did you go through the steps I gave you already? My bet is in diode / wiring. I've seen this issue tons of times. I also believe problem with transistor would show up prior to LEDs.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Did you go through the steps I gave you already? My bet is in diode / wiring. I've seen this issue tons of times. I also believe problem with transistor would show up prior to LEDs.

Im still doing that right now. When I locate the problem Ill post an update. Thanks for the help you guys. Also thanks to kbliznick on rpg, he posted similar solutions there.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Second that

#16 11 years ago

People had me doing the same thing... Check all the transistors, use the meter, etc etc. Not saying that isn't the problem, but if you do the bulb check, one at a time, it eliminates the easy things first.

If you take each bulb in the column out, one at a time, and all of the lights stay lit the entire time THEN check the other things, but do the easy check first.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

People had me doing the same thing... Check all the transistors, use the meter, etc etc. Not saying that isn't the problem, but if you do the bulb check, one at a time, it eliminates the easy things first.
If you take each bulb in the column out, one at a time, and all of the lights stay lit the entire time THEN check the other things, but do the easy check first.

The only thing im not understanding is I have 3 lights that are lit during the times when that particular lights row is lit so I pull every light from their respective row one at a time and what am I looking for when I pull them? For example coffin lock, pulled it since it was column 1 row 6 and the first light on the lamp matrix that was coming on with all the lights from that row, nothing changed. So now what pull the next light in that row and see if coffin lock lights when that light is tested in single lamp test? Help me understand?

#18 11 years ago

You are looking for things to be normal. For example... you have 11 lit and 21, 31, 41, 51 are all lit too. If you pull out 51 and the only one that stays lit is 11 you know that the problem is somewhere with 51.

You pull, 11 (replace), 21(replace), 31(replace), 41(replace)... nothing changes, but pull 51 and the only one that stays lit is 11, you found your problem.

Here are the threads from my problem:

First: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-understand-lighting-matrix

Second: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-lamp-problem-on-taf-almost-more-help-needed

Third: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-lamps-work-lamps-work-lamps-work-lamps-work

#19 11 years ago

The only thing im not understanding is I have 3 lights that are lit during the times when that particular lights row is lit so I pull every light from their respective row one at a time and what am I looking for when I pull them? For example coffin lock, pulled it since it was column 1 row 6 and the first light on the lamp matrix that was coming on with all the lights from that row, nothing changed. So now what pull the next light in that row and see if coffin lock lights when that light is tested in single lamp test? Help me understand?

I also fail to see how that will test anything.

Look at what the problem has in common. The problem is that the light in column 1 lights whenever there is another light on in another row. There are only 2 things that will cause this.

#1 would be a diode missing or miswired on column 1. However this is still not the likely problem. as this would cause the opposite problem. It should cause multiple lights to light in rows 6, 7 and 8.

#2 Bad TIP transistor at Q98.

Anytime any light is on in row 6 then lamp 61 will be lit, anytime a light is on in row 7 then 71 will be lit and anytime a light is on in row 8 then lamp 81 will be lit.

Now the op stated that this may have been occurring before the LED swap, but that is not neccesarily true. This transistor could have been damaged if the lamp socket was shorted to something while installing the LED's (saw someone do this recently to both a switch and a lamp transistor while installing LED's in a Dracula and it was near the coffin lock)
OR the LED's draw much less current and the transistor could already have been leaking current, enough current to cause an LED to light but not enough to cause an incandescent to light.

I recently saw the opposite of this with a system 11 PIA output. With an LED display in the game all the display segments lit, with a plasma display one of the segments was out. This was a weak output on the PIA, the output was strong enough to run the newer more effiecient buffer chips in the new display but not strong enough to run the buffers in the older display

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Look at what the problem has in common. The problem is that the light in column 1 lights whenever there is another light on in another row. There are only 2 things that will cause this.
#1 would be a diode missing or miswired on column 1. However this is still not the likely problem. as this would cause the opposite problem. It should cause multiple lights to light in rows 6, 7 and 8.
Anytime any light is on in row 6 then lamp 61 will be lit, anytime a light is on in row 7 then 71 will be lit and anytime a light is on in row 8 then lamp 81 will be lit.
Now the op stated that this may have been occurring before the LED swap, but that is not neccesarily true. This transistor could have been damaged if the lamp socket was shorted to something while installing the LED's (saw someone do this recently to both a switch and a lamp transistor while installing LED's in a Dracula and it was near the coffin lock)
OR the LED's draw much less current and the transistor could already have been leaking current, enough current to cause an LED to light but not enough to cause an incandescent to light.
I recently saw the opposite of this with a system 11 PIA output. With an LED display in the game all the display segments lit, with a plasma display one of the segments was out. This was a weak output on the PIA, the output was strong enough to run the newer more effiecient buffer chips in the new display but not strong enough to run the buffers in the older display

Ive got some TIP107's on the way from GPE. Also I could have very well shorted it when installing leds because the coffin lock light is a 44 light that is sandwiched down in a tight area that could easily short.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

If you read through those old posts, you will see that I was told exactly the same thing.

Not saying that this will absolutely solve his problem, but it is a whole lot easier to try this first BEFORE going in and just replacing board parts at random.

Worked for me TWICE on the same machine, so obviously this is not completely in left field.

If it doesn't work, meh.. Wasted all of about 15 minutes. Replacing parts on the board - days/weeks waiting for parts, then hoping it really is the problem. Worst case scenario... making the problem worse because the boards were not the problem in the first place.

I am far from an electronics expert, I just used logic to figure out what was wrong with my machine. As they say... "You're mileage may vary."

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Now the op stated that this may have been occurring before the LED swap, but that is not neccesarily true. This transistor could have been damaged if the lamp socket was shorted to something while installing the LED's (saw someone do this recently to both a switch and a lamp transistor while installing LED's in a Dracula and it was near the coffin lock)OR the LED's draw much less current and the transistor could already have been leaking current, enough current to cause an LED to light but not enough to cause an incandescent to light.

Agreed.

The reason I recommended starting with Q98 is because you mentioned that 16, 17, and 18 had a “bright flicker” in your original post. This is typically something you will see with a defective transistor opposed to a bad diode in a light string. I just didn’t understand why you were only seeing the problem in rows 6 through 8 until you mentioned rows 1 through 5 weren’t used.

FYI, I did the exact same thing on my TOTAN, shorted out a socket when installing LEDs. Word of advice; don’t tighten your flipper cranks with the machine powered up

#23 11 years ago

Ok I wanna thank everyone for the help. The parts came in from GPE and it turned out to be the TIP107 transistor at Q98. Went very easy, clipped the old leads and used the solder sucker to clean it out. Installed the new transistor into the holes and clipped it with an alligator clip to control the heat and soldered the pins.

Have one more question not electrically related, I've got this all back together but have one little bracket left over and have no idea where it goes is small about 3/4 of an inch long. Here is a picture:

IMAG0408.jpgIMAG0408.jpg

#24 11 years ago

Nevermind that part goes on the left side behind the gate where the mist multiball goes through.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 5.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-lamp-matrix-problem-i-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.