• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BSD_10_Switch_Opto_Board.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 6 years ago

I've been working through tech issues on 4 games... have 3 solved and fixed...now on to the most evil one: BSD.

Issues started during a game when the machine pretty much went dark and stopped working. Went back to that same state at start up. After poking around, found that F112 (7amp fuse) was blowing at start up. So, ordered a reset fuse so I could begin to trouble shoot. In the meantime, popped in a spare Rottendog board and could not get game to work.

Fastfoward a few weeks, got the 7amp reset fuse and was ready to rig it into place to start trying to trouble shoot and F112 was no longer blowing at start up. Hmmm. Game was booting, loading as normal, all playfield lights lit up... DMD working. Everything appears fine.

However... now the game instantly turns off and resets when the start button is pushed. The game also resets if I try to enter the settings menu. The game ALSO resets if I'm lifting and moving the playfield while the game is on. The game does not reset if I knock on the playfield...and I haven't gotten it to reset by jiggling various groupings of wires under playfield.

Man... I really want to drive a wooden stake straight through Drac's face in the worst the way! But I love it too much...would rather revive it to be tortured another day!

#2 6 years ago

Try to get into the menu first.
Disconnect coils+flasher ac-power from J102 and try menu buttons again.
Inspect playfield-wires that can possibly touch GND of cabinet. Also coils under apron for contact to GND or coil lugs to apron.

#3 6 years ago

I would take a look at the wires around the trough and shooter lane. It sounds like it's blowing due to a short in the trough kicker, which is a low power coil in this game.

#4 6 years ago

Alright. I'll start poking around during a break from work today.

#5 6 years ago

Pulled J102... still can't get into the menu. 2 button presses and it reboots.

As I was inspecting the game, I gently placed my hand on the side of head... and the game reset. Then I started poking around in the backbox. If I ever so slightly flick the ribbon cable between the CPU and Power Driver Board, then the game resets. So, I replace that ribbon cable. Same thing happens. But I can gently rock the connection points and nothing happens. But the slightest tap on the head of the cab causes reset.

?

#6 6 years ago

Sounds almost like you have either J212 or J205 plugged in shifted over by one pin or possibly one pin bent touching another.

Inspect as you remove the connectors at the bottom of fhe MPU.

Well, this may no longer be a possibility based on your response you posted as I was tyoing.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds almost like you have either J212 or J205 plugged in shifted over by one pin or possibly one pin bent touching another.
Inspect as you remove the connectors at the bottom of fhe MPU.
Well, this may no longer be a possibility based on your response you posted as I was tyoing.

I gave the connectors a solid visual inspection... nothing looks off. Also made sure all of the boards are 100% screwed/grounded.

Weird thing, I can knock on the side of the cabinet or playfield and nothing happens. But if I give the slightest of taps to the head: Reset.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

slightest of taps to the head: Reset.

open the backbox and carefully touch wires, regulators, pcb's and so on to find out when it resets.

#9 6 years ago

Goes from weird to weirder.

After poking and prodding, I noticed a little KAHR reset board on the CPU. I've had the machine 4 years... and honestly can't remember if I put it on or not. At any rate, turned the game off, pulled that board, turned the game on...and voila...BSD is back in action. Played two games. Everything worked 100%.

Powered game off.

Came back to game a little while later. Turned game on. Game freaks out. Coils firing, call outs raging, flippers flipping randomly. It's like hell is belching through BSD.

I turn the game off.

Turn the game back on... all GI is dead. All insert lighting is dead. All playfield coils outside of flippers are dead. DMD comes on and a game will start. But, no ball launched. Coils/lights remain dead. Switches work.

I'm starting to wonder if the CPU is toasty? No batteries are on the board. Perhaps there had been some acid damage in the past? Power spike f-ed up the chips?

#10 6 years ago

Remove the MPU board and lay the board flat and press on the U9 ASIC chip. Also reseat all the ribbon cables.

#11 6 years ago

Yeah, you totally knocked your ribbon cable loose. You should also check your 12v. Those kahr boards draw their 5 volts from the board's 12.

Edit: Also, your CPU is fine. Let's list things controlled by the power/driver board: lamps, solenoids, GI...all out on yours. The stuff not on the driver board: sound, DMD, switches. All working fine.

#12 6 years ago

Ok... you were right. I reset the ribbon cable one entire row over (which I couldn't see).

So. Back to this situation:

Game boots fine, loads a ball for mist.

However, the slightest knock to the side of the cabinet head, and it sets the game off into a flurry of activity (whether a game has been started or not). Flashers go crazy, DMD animations go crazy, Sounds go crazy, coils firing. Literally the machine freaks out.

ASICS chip has been reset

#13 6 years ago

Do you have a remote battery pack installed? If so, make sure the red wire is not grounding out to the metal backplane.

#14 6 years ago

It's possessed.

#15 6 years ago

Alright... remote battery looks a-ok.

I think I have zeroed in on something: the opto board under the playfield.

Gently flicking the wires causes the machine to FREAK. Gently rocking the molex connector: nothing. Flicking wires: everything.

This is a brand new Home Pin board.

I'm wondering...is there a way for me to reseat the wires in the connector? Perhaps I should buy new pins and connectors?

#16 6 years ago

Ground issue? Ground cable tight where it joins the head?

#17 6 years ago

So I'm 99% sure a lot (if not all) of these issues are related to some flaky wires attached to the J1 connector of the opto board under the playfield.

Anyone have any tips on reattaching wires to the connector without buying new pieces?

#18 6 years ago

I know some people are confused between a slam tilt and an actual reset of the whole game. So when you say you are seeing a reset, the game is rebooting and then you see the game software ect., as if you just turned on the game?

/ / / / / / / <== shows on the DMD when the game is in slam tilt.

#19 6 years ago

Not a slam tilt... total reset

Just the slightest touch to the opto wires sets the machine off like crazy...I have to try and solve that issue first. Then see what's left to deal with

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So I'm 99% sure a lot (if not all) of these issues are related to some flaky wires attached to the J1 connector of the opto board under the playfield.
Anyone have any tips on reattaching wires to the connector without buying new pieces?

If you are looking to re-seat the wires on the J1 connector of the 10-switch opto assembly board then you could use a tool like this from Pinball Life.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1590

Gord

BSD_10_Switch_Opto_Board.pdfBSD_10_Switch_Opto_Board.pdf

#21 6 years ago

I had no idea that tool existed. I need me one of them.

#22 6 years ago

Ideally if you want to repair a connector replace the IDC with a molex connector. Or if you want to try to reinsert IDC wires or use an IDC connector this is the only tool to use. The other is just not worth it as it rarely inserts the wire correctly and can cause damage or cause even more damage to both wire and connector.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4045

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Ideally if you want to repair a connector replace the IDC with a molex connector.

I like this option... I'll make replace and will check back with results! Hopefully some of the ghosts in the machine will be expelled!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-is-possess-reset-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.