104_8120.jpg
100_4625.JPG
Dracula,,.jpg
blah,_blah_,_Yak,_Yak.gif
bsd-awful.jpg
106_6180.jpg
106_6260.jpg
BSD_Topper.JPG
There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#52 12 years ago

At first I was kind of uninterested in BSD. I started playing more and liking it more and although its not extremely complicated its still fun and hopefully affordable by the time I can find one One thing that all my friends that dont play pinball have in common is that they all seem to be drawn to Dracula and really like it even though its much harder than other games initially.

#53 12 years ago
Quoted from ssgkarny1:

Worst case, if you don't like it, you can always resell. It seems there has been an increase in demand for this title over the last six months or so. I'd say snag it before it's gone!

Either that or put in in a coffin, list it on eBay and sell it for three times more then you bought it for.

#54 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, BR yours really does look cool in a dark room!!

But, why no lightning flippers??

I got Tired of being Owned my Own Pin !! Honestly ,, BSD is the Hardest & Meanest pin that I've Ever owned.. Yesterday, The Banker had me take his Lightning bat's off and install Reg-

And BR, how did you get the underneath to flash like that? Well cool. Seen mods that light up underneath but yours syncs with the gameplay??

CoinTaker's under Cab Flasher Kit has 4 diff- color's Red , Blue , Green, and when All Flasher's are on, the Kit will Max out to white.. The Red & Blue's from the Kit , I soldered them to the back board Red and Blue Flasher.. When Dracula Talk's the Blue will flash and ignite the Kit as well.
Here's a Video i took of the install. Excuse my Clean shaven Face,, My wife Promised me a Special Treat if i was Shaven.. ( She Kept her word )

#55 12 years ago
Quoted from wbradley:

If rats/bats makes that much of a difference on your high scores your scoring is mediocre at best.

6 billion is mediocre? Most people playing BSD will never get within sniffing distance of 4 billion....you must be an exceptional player.

#56 12 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

wbradley said:If rats/bats makes that much of a difference on your high scores your scoring is mediocre at best.
6 billion is mediocre? Most people playing BSD will never get within sniffing distance of 4 billion....you must be an exceptional player.

No Joke ,,, I'd Like to see a Pict- of that High score .. Tomdotcom i believe hasn't got that High !!
and He's The World's Best ,,, ,, Mess-n w/ Ya Tom ..

#57 12 years ago

Haha I might be able to get 4bill, if I really put my mind to it....my current best is only 2.5

I normally don't play "tournament" style though, I play for fun and have a few beers and get "high" a different way usually too haha

Also I am FARRRRR from pro...I know some VRPA guys that would wipe the floor with my scores all day, every day....I've never even played in a tournament...

#58 12 years ago

Oct 28th this Year will be my BSD 's 3 Yr Anniversary . I bought it from Robertmee on that day in 09 for $ 900.00 . He became my Good-Friend Instantly !! I never Really understood how to Stack the modes till I watched PAPA play .. This video taught me so Much , It made me a Better Player !!
I usually Don't watch PAPA vid's- He's All about point's and sometime's makes a Pin lOOk Boring. But w/ BSD he did a Great Job !! Don't watch him play BDK , that is if Yr lOOK-n to Buy 1..

#59 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

simonakapw said:Wow, BR yours really does look cool in a dark room!!
But, why no lightning flippers??

I got Tired of being Owned my Own Pin !! Honestly ,, BSD is the Hardest & Meanest pin that I've Ever owned.. Yesterday, The Banker had me take his Lightning bat's off and install Reg-
simonakapw said:And BR, how did you get the underneath to flash like that? Well cool. Seen mods that light up underneath but yours syncs with the gameplay??

CoinTaker's under Cab Flasher Kit has 4 diff- color's Red , Blue , Green, and when All Flasher's are on, the Kit will Max out to white.. The Red & Blue's from the Kit , I soldered them to the back board Red and Blue Flasher.. When Dracula Talk's the Blue will flash and ignite the Kit as well.
Here's a Video i took of the install. Excuse my Clean shaven Face,, My wife Promised me a Special Treat if i was Shaven.. ( She Kept her word )
» YouTube video

Nice video - thanks.

Great effect for sure. Awesome looking pin

#60 12 years ago

Getting at least bats on the first ball is a must. And part of the key to getting alot of points on bats is trapping the ball quickly on the left flipper and shooting the right loop to get the ball in the pop bumpers. For me, rats usually is by pure chance. But the goal when it starts is the same, get the ball into the pops.

#61 12 years ago

Good thread have been wanting one of these for a while as have never played, but this confirms the next one that comes up under 2k I will jump all over

#62 12 years ago

Great pin! Very addicting. I think the criticism of the Rats/Bats bonus has some validity, but it is the same for everyone and it adds a different strategy to the game instead of only going for the stacked MB's

#63 12 years ago

Never got anywhere near those scores. But then again I have never had rats/bats add more than maybe maximum under 100 million to an end of ball bonus. Hardly significant compared to the scores you say you have had. I have lightning flippers on mine and maybe best score 1.2 billion. Since doing a reset, maybe 700 million GC.

BTW- regular flippers kills this game IMHO. Same for DW and FT.

#64 12 years ago
Quoted from wbradley:

BTW- regular flippers kills this game IMHO. Same for DW and FT.

Why do you think that is? Just the angle of the shots or something?

I had never even heard of lightening flippers before I read about them here so I'm kind of on the outside looking in.

#65 12 years ago

I have only played this with standard flippers. I hated it at first just simple and couldn't hit anything to get anything going etc.... That said I have played it since and it does have that addictive quality to the start button like you say your done then after the game is over you realize your finger is hovering over the start button waiting to press it again as if your finger and the button are polar opposites and magnetized =-) I don't think it is an amazing pin. But it is surely a bang for the buck pin and a great game for the price. I would consider a local one working for anything at or under 1K.

#66 12 years ago

If you can't make your shots, the game isn't fun. My family/friends who don't play much don't like it. It's not the kind of game where you can just fluke a multiball really...

#67 12 years ago

When I play BSD, I usually just hit the left ramp over and over until I have two castle locks and mist is lit. At that point I start shooting the right ramp over and over until I start coffin MB. Then start mist MB. Once I have the two MBs stacked, I start shooting for the left ramp to collect the 3rd coffin lock to get triple playfield values. Use the ball save to light your third castle from the standups. When all three MBs are stacked my main goal is to lock two back in the castle and shoot for triple double castle jackpots.

Also if you start bats or rats during your stacked MBs your award will be multiplied as well and carry over every bonus. I never try to start them but it just happens during MB.

#68 12 years ago

I have to disagree on the lightning flippers being necessary on BSD. The PF shot layout was designed for standard flipper bats, lightnings were only used to decrease ball times/increase op's profit. I use the original blood red flipper bats, but my BSD's loop champion was set by me with lightning flipper bats; for some reason the left ramp shot is easier with lightning bats :/

#69 12 years ago

My high score is actually with lightning flips, I haven't cracked 2bill with standard flips yet. If you can't make your shots, then the size of the flipper doesn't really matter...

I have a nasty flipper hop on the left flipper, I've just recently fixed it. It made it much harder to hit the coffin ramp repeatedly. Now that I've fixed it, maybe I can REALLY get a big score...

All this BSD talk has me stoked to go for a big score tonight haha...

#70 12 years ago

Seems to me people that quote astronomical high scores (not talking about Keith Elwin, Bowen Kerins, etc) typically have the regular flippers. Lightning flippers are unique and do force you to use different techniques for ball trapping and so on, and that is what differentiates them from all the other games.

#71 12 years ago

My 2.5 is not astronomical (IMO) if you're talking about me. If you get all 3 multiballs and hit a few jackpots, it doesn't take long to rack a big score up...

#72 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

My 2.5 is not astronomical (IMO) if you're talking about me. If you get all 3 multiballs and hit a few jackpots, it doesn't take long to rack a big score up...

Exactly. I have a similar high score on my BSD.

#73 12 years ago

2.5 is incredible, not astronomical

#75 12 years ago

Ahh shucks, thanks haha....I actually don't think it's that great. Did you see Bowen's tut?? He crushed my score and he did it while talking and with a coffin lock that was rejecting all the time

#76 12 years ago

I want one too, but the prices around here are stupid, $2400 for a faded BSD, let it sit.... someday I will find one. Also wish I would have never sold my Shadow

#77 12 years ago
Quoted from wbradley:

2.5 is incredible, not astronomical

Lol whats 19.5 billion then???

#78 12 years ago

No game gets my blood flowing like BSD (no pun intended).
Some of the best callouts and stacked multiballs of any game, ever.

#79 12 years ago

i'd like one also, need a game that kicks my butt. Haven't had one that does that since I got rid of my corvette and funhouse. Is ft like that also ?

#80 12 years ago
Quoted from wbradley:

Never got anywhere near those scores.

Ha! Just realized that when I had BSD it was during my 5-ball days. But yeah, it had the lightning flippers. And the original point still stands - games where you do great bonus-wise (i.e. have a spectacular 1st ball) are insurmountable by a mere great game itself. The high score list subconsciously mocks you the rest of the time.

Completely even scoring (like TFTC) is a flaw in it's own way, but it can get kind of ridiculously uneven with BSD. Still a great game. But that's why it wasn't a keeper for me.

Tracy

#81 12 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Other games I play that are much more expensive, don't have the play appeal to me. Perhaps it's the theme that some people don't like or want in their home

Yup.

The theme does the value absolutely no positives, and the fact that the theme is based on a specific movie and not just Dracula as an overall, uhm, monster (??) like Monster Bash doesn't help it at all. It has no humor, it has a dude in a coffin as a toy and an image that looks like a chick sucking a dude's teat on the playfield. Honestly, the theme blows. Hard.

It doesn't help that most people looking to buy a DMD era pin want something like TAF, AFM, TZ or MM that has modes and is lighthearted and all that fun stuff. BSD doesn't have that. It was made to be a brutally difficult game, with an extremely dark theme. I can't think of one other release that has such a dark theme -- even Frankenstein by Sega is more lighthearted than it.

The fact that it has any value at all is a testament to the really fun play that the game contains. I love it, but I also tend to completely overlook the theme of basically any game that I play with no issues. I have wondered what my son will think of it when he realizes what it is...

#82 12 years ago

If I had the Power Goatman , I would erase Yr Post completely !! ,,, blah,_blah_,_Yak,_Yak.gifblah,_blah_,_Yak,_Yak.gif ,Bad mouth-n BSD is a Sin ..

Dracula,,.jpgDracula,,.jpg

#83 12 years ago

getting my delivered today!

#84 12 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

getting my delivered today!

Pics or it didn't happen!!!!

#85 12 years ago

TwilightZone said:I'm going to go against the grain. I have absolutely no love for the game. Bought the hype and got my first BSD. Tired of it quickly. Years go by. "Must be something wrong with me. BSD gets so much love". Buy another and get rid of it within a week.
The game is so limited. It forces the same strategy every game. Ball 1 try to get bats and rats as those are added to your bonus for the rest of the game. BTW, bats and rats are the exact same mode. Wow, very creative. Now for the remainder of the game try to get the three multi-balls going.
Sorry, but it's a one trick pony. Stack the multiballs. Boring in a home setting. At least for me.
It's an "ok" game when I play at someone's home. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't care for it.
If you want a tough game, at a reasonable price, both FT and Shadow can be challenging. Also STTNG is another tough game that is still price reasonable.
My .02.
Cheers,
Duane
Exactly what I heard.
But, then I hear all the other opinions and so tough decision. I guess the main thing is to pay the right price/right condition and then can keep or sell.
And check for planking I believe??

I'll be honest. Even though I don't like the game, I would get one at under $1,000. I enjoy playing it at others house, so I don't hate it, but I don't think it's worth what they seem to be selling for $1,600 to $1,800.

Another poster mentioned people have less than $1,000 into the game. In that case, I would say for for it. But at market, there are games I enjoy more.

Cheers,
Duane

#86 12 years ago

It's hard to find any "nice" DMD pins under 2000 these days, unless it's a project. I'll take 20 BSD's under 1000....

#87 12 years ago

There are plenty of great DMD games under $2K. JM, BSD, NF, DM, JP etc, nobody should be paying $2,000+ for any of those games in "nice" condition.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

It's hard to find any "nice" DMD pins under 2000 these days,

#88 12 years ago

I agree, but try to find ANY games for sale up in western Canadaland period...

I've gotten lots of DMD's under 2000 in the past, including FT, BSD, Shadow that I have now....but lately I haven't seen squat for sale, and prices on the rise...

I bet I could get 2000+ for all 3 of those pins if I were to sell right now...

#89 12 years ago

I am definitely partial since I own a BSD but I sincerely love and enjoy mine. It kicks my butt on a daily basis and I gladly take it! I mean MIST MULTIBALL is just pure sweetness...watching a ball glide across the PF while the cranked speakers yell out MISSSST.....MISSSSSSSST is a show in itself. A BSD with a nice PF blinged out with LEDs and an under cab CT LED kit is quite the pleasure

And if you enjoy HORROR movies....it's a must have for any pinpinhead.

#90 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I agree, but try to find ANY games for sale up in western Canadaland period...

That stinks but on the other hand you get to tell people you're from KAMLOOPS! If I were from KAMLOOPS! I would find a hundred reasons a day just to say KAMLOOPS! Pretty much the greatest word ever

#91 12 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

BMore-Pinball said:getting my delivered today!

In about 2 hours

#92 12 years ago

BR, your game is beyond awesome! Fun game I never get tired of it.

#93 12 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

NewPinOwner said:BMore-Pinball said:getting my delivered today!
In about 2 hours

2 BSD's in bmore.....we are lucky guys!

#94 12 years ago

Under 1k really. You can't go back in time Marty. Bottom line today is BSD,TS,FT,AND OTHERS in great shape will sell for $2k and up. Its called supply and demand. When average new games like TF LE sell for 3 times as much it makes those games look pretty damn good. . 2K + is current value and people waiting to pay $1,500-$1,800 wo'nt be getting many of the better EARLY 90'S DMD'S . I paid 1k 2 years ago for a Shadow in great shape. If i sold it it would be $2.5 k . It is a better game than most Newer games and people are realizing it and demand is rising. I am not talking about games in bad shape.

#95 12 years ago

What's the big deal? He said it was worth $1K to him, nothing more. If he never finds one for $1K then he'll never own it. Also, it doesn't take a time machine, just patience. I bought a BSD for $900 1.5 months ago.

Quoted from wolfy:

Under 1k really. You can't go back in time Marty.

#96 12 years ago

A 900 BSD is NOT the norm though...more likely 1400-1700 would be the norm...if someone REALLY likes it and it's a nice example then 2000 easy...IMO

#97 12 years ago

I never said it was the norm. In fact I said the opposite of that, I said it takes patience. But he doesn't like the game that much, so he should have plenty of patience. I think what he said was very reasonable.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

A 900 BSD is NOT the norm though.

Quoted from jalpert:

it doesn't take a Time Machine, just patience.

#98 12 years ago

LOVE BSD and its a great game for the price.

Jon

100_4625.JPG100_4625.JPG

#99 12 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of what planking looks like in BSD? I have noticed some 'streaks' above Dracula inserts and wonder if it is planking?

#100 12 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of what planking looks like in BSD? I have noticed some 'streaks' above Dracula inserts and wonder if it is planking?

Planking goes with the grain of the wood. Its little cracks that go deeper than the paint.

The area you describe is a common area for planking and raised inserts on BSD.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 5.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-is-it-really-all-good/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.