fixedd (resized).jpg
back (resized).jpg
20171111_173707 (resized).jpg
20171110_103049 (resized).jpg
20171110_103058 (resized).jpg
20171111_173634 (resized).jpg
20171111_185901 (resized).jpg
20171111_185802 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01377-interactive-castle-bram-stoker-s-dracula-bsd-switch-covers.

Pinsider "Rubberducks" had suggested I come up with a solution to get rid of the ugly, visible switches in BSD and this is what I came up with. I likely went overboard with it and spent way more time than necessary, but I'm happy with the results .

YT description: This mod interacts with standard left ramp shots when the ball goes under the Elizabeta tombstone, right ramp shots as the ball passes under the castle grate (as Hellsing Speaks), triggers off of each switch hit during Rats bonus mode, whenever Hellsing speaks (castle multiball, etc.), successful skillshots, and so on (anytime the castle/Hellsing flasher lights).

To get the stained glass look I use 3 LEDS (R/B/G [creates the appearance of ~5 colors]), as well as multiple layers of light diffusion, and of course the painted window insert.

The circuit (capacitor) on this mod creates a nice fade effect for the LEDs (the standard, fast blinking didn't look good to me here, so I experimented with the breadboard and various capacitance values until I got the desired result).

Both the castle and tombstone install very easily and quick with the factory screws. The skull mound also installs easily with the factory switch screws (replacing the old switch cover clip). The old cover remains in place for the castle, but the right side cover is removed for the tombstone.

Both the tombstone and castle have voids for the switches to rise into...failed that aspect on my first design, ha ha (neat effect on the castle grate as the switch can be seen rising up behind the bars--don't blink ). Also neat to me seeing the ball pass around the castle/skull walls and zig-zag through the arch, but then again I may be a child trapped in a man's body...

I made a point to not obscure any features or lights/inserts, etc (from average adult height while playing).

Skull was made roughly to scale with Drac in the coffin.

[while there is some space available between the skull mound and coffin, I'm not certain if it fits with the Brock/larger coffin mod or not--if it doesn't appear that it will to those with that mod, I could potentially make a revision to have a version that does]

20171111_185802 (resized).jpg20171111_185802 (resized).jpg
20171111_185901 (resized).jpg20171111_185901 (resized).jpg
20171111_173634 (resized).jpg20171111_173634 (resized).jpg
20171110_103058 (resized).jpg20171110_103058 (resized).jpg
20171110_103049 (resized).jpg20171110_103049 (resized).jpg
20171111_173707 (resized).jpg20171111_173707 (resized).jpg

fixedd (resized).jpgfixedd (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Just going to add that the window color could be requested in any 3 mix/match of blue, red, green, yellow, or white. I could see 3 red LEDs looking nice in the window for Drac (or red/blue/red to accent the colors in the game/playfield/ramps and colordmd). I could also see gray mortar lines and black/near black stones looking nice for the castle bits as well for an alternative (closer to the factory castle colors..but more detailed ). If anyone would like to see the walls painted like that (no commitment), I'd be more than willing to paint one up to see how it turns out.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Wow that is awesome. Phenomenal job

Thank you. Glad to hear it

Otherwise, seeing now I forgot to add the photo showing the mounting point for the castle (shaped to accommodate the switch wiring). This photo also better shows the blue I added to the top (also that way on the arch) to give some light accent and contrast to the rest of the wall (hard to notice in the machine I suppose). Notch in the top is to better allow for a long screwdriver to fit when installing.

back (resized).jpgback (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Not sure if there would be interest in a non-LED, smaller version of the castle section (would certainly make for a cheaper set). I'm currently printing out a first test of this "ruins" version as I'm curious what it will look like (will be another 6 hours or so before it's done printing). I've debated other options for that left switch as I expect many would find the castle excessive, but I know some would like to have an alternative to seeing the exposed switches. I updated the shop listing to offer the right switch tombstone cover separate as well.

ruinss (resized).jpgruinss (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Not sure if there would be interest in a non-LED, smaller version of the castle section (would certainly make for a cheaper set). I'm currently printing out a first test of this "ruins" version as I'm curious what it will look like (will be another 6 hours or so before it's done printing). I've debated other options for that left switch as I expect many would find the castle excessive, but I know some would like to have an alternative to seeing the exposed switches. I updated the shop listing to offer the right switch tombstone cover separate as well.

Got this variation painted up and listed in the shop ($74.99 for the 3 piece, non-LED set). I imagine I would paint vines on the middle piece as well for this set.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01377-interactive-castle-bram-stoker-s-dracula-bsd-switch-covers

The fuller playfield shot was taken from about my eye level while playing (I'm 5'9" for reference). This version obscures very little of the left ramp while still making for a very satisfying castle lock shot (lock is awarded just as the ball flies under the arch).

20171113_221716 (resized).jpg20171113_221716 (resized).jpg

20171113_221220 (resized).jpg20171113_221220 (resized).jpg

20171113_221026 (resized).jpg20171113_221026 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

This is the ruins set that's shipping out today. It shows the matched skull mound piece and the final version of the tombstone (the prototype version pictured earlier received a final CAD update to enhance clarity of the lettered section). Painted this set a hair brighter with more contrast (particularly on the arch) than the set originally pictured as well--helps the details pop when installed in the game

[for those that also use CAD programs and are curious about what I used, the majority of this project was created in Tinkercad and Blender, but Meshmixer was used a few times and for most of the Ruins conversion].

BSD Ruinss (resized).jpgBSD Ruinss (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

So awesome!!! Love it. You did an amazing job

Thank you I couldn't ask for better feedback

#12 6 years ago

Getting these shipped out today. Finishing up the last of the wiring, etc., then running on down to Free Play FL (if any orders are placed over the weekend, I will likely be able to get them shipped out by Thursday).

BSD ship (resized).jpgBSD ship (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

I have an extra Ruins set painted up and ready to ship out tomorrow if anyone wants one with no delay (otherwise I generally ship within 3 days of a received order when possible). I'll edit this post if that set sells today.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Got em. Love em. Must have for all Dracs!

Awesome Glad to hear. Thank you for the feedback.

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

If someone with the Brock coffin mod would like test out this mod (LED or Ruins) with a higher clearance version of the skull mound (I revised it based on photos around the forum), I would offer a 10% discount in exchange for installed photos to the first person to PM me with interest (of course, if it didn't fit, I would revise the design again and send one that does at my own expense). I would later offer such a version in the shop once I can confirm proper fitment.

#18 6 years ago

Looking to ship out what I can by this Saturday. After that point, shipments won't be able to go out until sometime after Christmas, so if you're interested, please order within the next couple days to get your order in a timely manner and help me keep orders from backing up over the holiday. Thank you.

Also, one last attempt to see if there are any Brock mod owners within the USA that would like to test fit a version of this mod with a skull mound that has additional clearance over the original version. 10% off any set that includes the skull mound (with the guarantee of getting one that fits if the first doesn't). Again this discount would be in exchange for photos with the Brock coffin mod to confirm proper fitment and for others to see. Let me know in a PM if you're interested.

EDIT: Brock discount offer is tentatively spoken for.

1 month later
#19 6 years ago

Finally getting back to being able to put some time towards this mod. Thanks to Pinsider "jazzmaster," I was able to test fit a new version of this mod so that it will work with the Brock coffin mod. I've seen some various fits of this mod around the forum and based my dimensions to fit them all (using the one I saw stick out the farthest left). Below is a shot of the new fitment in jazzmasters machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01377-interactive-castle-bram-stoker-s-dracula-bsd-switch-covers

Brock FIT (resized).jpgBrock FIT (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#22 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Looks great! Thanks for accommodating to my mod.

Quoted from yonizzell:

I installed the premium set with the LED stained glass looking window and it really looks like the machine should’ve come from the factory with this mod. Great job!

Thank you! I appreciate the positive feedback

3 weeks later
#23 6 years ago

There's currently 1 Non-LED Ruins set available from a recent run of these (regular version), available for immediate shipping (I'll update/edit here if it sells).

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I installed the premium set with the LED stained glass looking window and it really looks like the machine should’ve come from the factory with this mod. Great job!

Hopefully you don't mind me posting your photo here. Offers a better idea of how the LED version should look, as my only installed photos show the prototype version with less detailed paint.

BSD cust (resized).jpegBSD cust (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Hillel:

Medisinyl Mods, I was so impressed with your mods for Bram Stoker's Dracula that I am now in the market for the game. I always loved the theme but the game looked so barren and boring to me. Your mods really bring the game to "LIFE" with a Love that never dies. When I eventually find a game, but before, I will check to see if you still sell the mods, including the casket. I would love to see the production process in photos, being an old plastic Monster and Car Model builder from way back. Outstanding work and detail.

I appreciate the interest and positive feedback (always good to know when I've influenced the hobby in some way). I expect I'll be offering this mod for quite some time, so there should be no worries there . However, the alternate casket mod is done by Brock/pinball_customs. I just make the three switch cover pieces.

I'll look to see if I have some early images of the 3D design process at some point and I can take some progress shots of the next paint run to post in the future

You won't regret getting a BSD either. It really comes to life in the home environment and the "simple" rules undoubtedly have staying power. I know it's all subjective, but I've had mine for over three years and it's still my favorite pin. Good luck in the hunt.

4 months later
#27 5 years ago

Small sale on both versions until Sunday Night. Thanks again to everyone that has made these my #1 selling mod over the last year

5 months later
#28 4 years ago

Have 1 of each set painted up and ready to ship for anyone looking for a set (just need to do the wiring for the LED set). Available in the Pinside shop.

9 months later
#30 4 years ago
Quoted from DarlingLuci:

medisinyl are any of these mods still available? Preferably the non-led version. Thanks.

Currently have the BSD mods pulled from the shop as I'm backordered for several weeks (mostly Elvira/ACNC) and trying to limit orders, but the non-LED set will be available again (welcome to PM me for a set if you don't mind a potential wait [would try to slip it in amongst other orders). I'll likely permanently discontinue the LED version (geometry of the non-LED version fits the game better anyway).

1 year later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

Would love a set of these

I still have a running list on these and I've got you noted down. Should be messaging those next on the BSD list soon.

Note that the LED castle has been discontinued for awhile, but the ruins set and most of the coffin set is still available for now.

Eventually I plan to discontinue all of the BSD mods (been meaning to for quite awhile, but anyone on a list will be able to get what is still offered).

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Not sure if I'm on the list, but could you please add me? Thanks!

You were on the list. Just lots of stuff to juggle.

1 month later
#35 2 years ago

These mods are now discontinued.

I may have a couple sets left after the last on my list are satisfied (everyone should now have received a message--if you had asked to be on the list and didn't receive a message, please let me know). The 3-piece ruins set is $96 + shipping ($103.99 shipped domestic).

Can PM me if interested in a set.

4 months later
#37 2 years ago

Just now seeing your post.

I appreciate your interest, but these are sold out and permanently discontinued.

Sorry to disappoint.

4 months later
#40 2 years ago
Quoted from s000m:

If you ever do more, please let us know.

For various reasons, I stick to my word once discontinued.

While I don't foresee it happening within the next couple years, there's some chance I'd revisit BSD for a re-imagined set of higher quality one day.

This was an early effort from me, and I progressively became more dissatisfied with it as my skills improved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-interactive-led-stained-glass-castle-switch-covers-mod-thread?tu=medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.