New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 24416)

BSD help Mist issues!

By vintage4life

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by n0s4atu
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MistGate.jpg
20140610_150241.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hey I need some help with my dracula pin. My switch 83 (magnet right) is closed. This seems like an issue what do I need to do to fix this? I have noticed that during mist multiball the right gate will sometimes open when a ball passes in its path. Any help is much appreciated. Is it just a bad opto?

#2 8 years ago

The issue I am having is that during mist multiball when the balls pass the center of the playfield the right gate becomes activated and lifts up and the most motor starts running and sometimes one of my balls will fall back into the right gate during the multiball. Im not sure id the optos are tripping out or what. Just need a starting point. Thanks guys

#3 8 years ago

Ok just by messing around I understand it seems normal for switch 83 to be closed if the magnet motor is on that side. But anyways still having the issues with mist multiball gates opening and mist motor going crazy during multi ball. if I grab the balls off the playfield while mist is in progress and set my hand in the middle of the playfield blocking the optos the right gate will open and mist motor goes crazy.

#4 8 years ago

Could it be my 24" opto board part # a-15646?

Issues:
Mist gates randomly open during mist ball
sometimes if I drain 1 ball its gameover!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Could it be my 24" opto board part # a-15646?

that's a good place to start. Mine was partially fried.
I had to jump some traces that were charred, and it's been good ever since (about 2 weeks).

p.s. I could go into switch edge test, and bang around on the flippers/PF, and occassionally notice a little blip in the long-range opto. It was causing similar issues as yours, and eventually led me to discovering the charred 24" board.

badda bing

good luck

#6 8 years ago

If more problems start to occur, try one of these.

http://www.homepin.com/bsd.html

1 year later
#7 6 years ago

I am having this EXACT same problem, did you ever resolve the issue?

Again, the exact same thing is happening to me, the gate opens during mist multiball, the motor will turn on, and sometimes the ball or game ends after only draining 1 ball.

The opto board looks fine, no burns, and all of the components are intact.

Switch 82 isn't testing great, it doesnt open and close consistently when I roll a ball through the path of the opto, and sometimes the switch stays open and if I slap the play field it will close again.

#10 6 years ago

Ya i am having mist problems with one of my bsd .
Seems like I am having optó problems .
I tryed a different optó bourd no luck .
The hunt is on .

#11 6 years ago

i had the same problem , replaced the long beam opto (recever and transmiter) and it solved the problem . good luck

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Staf:

i had the same problem , replaced the long beam opto (recever and transmiter) and it solved the problem . good luck

alright thanks, this is the only thing i can think of at this point other than replacing the opto board.

thanks for responding, I have seen this, but it doesnt quite help with my issue, just like the OP my long opto seems to "stay active" during mist and cause the gate to open when mist mulitball is already active, there is no trouble starting the multiball and the magnet works fine, the magnet test also runs fine with no errors, but still im getting the gate opening, the motor running, and balls/games ending when only 1 of the 2 balls drain during mist multiball.

Ive tested the long opto as per that article, and the receiver picks up a signal from my tv remote, and i can see a white glow coming from the transmitter on my digital camera. In switch test, the long opto doesnt always open and close consistently when i pass a ball through the opto beam.

Has anyone ever realigned the optos before? Im not quite sure how to do this as the casings for the opto are fastened rock solid to the playfield so im not sure how they would even get misaligned in the first place?

#13 6 years ago

Check your +12 v and make sure its at 12 v. Check J101 on Driver board is well connected and header pins are soldered in good. A.S.A.P. Always start at power.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

just like the OP my long opto seems to "stay active" during mist and cause the gate to open when mist mulitball is already active, there is no trouble starting the multiball and the magnet works fine, the magnet test also runs fine with no errors, but still im getting the gate opening, the motor running, and balls/games ending when only 1 of the 2 balls drain during mist multiball.

Have you tried pounding on the playfield while in switch test? A cracked lead on an opto or a borderline/misadjusted trough switch could cause those issues.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Check your +12 v and make sure its at 12 v. Check J101 on Driver board is well connected and header pins are soldered in good. A.S.A.P. Always start at power.

So the J101 is connected well, and all the header pins are solid. Ill be honest, Im not sure where I should be checking for 12v

Quoted from phishrace:

Have you tried pounding on the playfield while in switch test? A cracked lead on an opto or a borderline/misadjusted trough switch could cause those issues.

Well I made a quick video of my problem, I filmed the switch diagram in the "switch edges" test, you can see my hand in the reflection of the speaker panel, i roll a ball through the beam and it opens the switch but it does not close, I then give the playfield a pound and the switch closes again.

#16 6 years ago

Make sure the left or right gate isn't getting in the way of the beam. Hold the left gate open when you're doing this. Perhaps your pounding the playfield is enough to make the left gate bounce out of the way.

#17 6 years ago

I just played a few games with the magnet disabled for the first time, a ball never loaded into the right holding area (this might be normal behavior for when the magnet is disabled but i have no idea), and during gameplay the right gate was opening anytime a ball would go near it on the playfield regardless of whether i was in mball or single ball play.

It would seem that anytime the the right pocket is empty, the right gate opens during gameplay.

Also, I ran a few magnet tests again, and i was getting lamp interference errors again during opto check 1, which i had gotten before, then it went away for awhile, now it's back again.

#18 6 years ago

Do you have a manual ? Look at page 2-11 it shows the Driver board. in upper left to teh left of Fuse 115 is Test Point 3. Which is regulated 12 volts. I would check that first and just to the upper left of that is TP1 which is unregulated 12v. The opto's use the regulated 12volts Place the black lead on ground and the red lead on the test point. If that is getting good 12v, i would then check the 24opto board you can see schematics of that on 3-24 of the manual. J1-1 is (Switch 82, Ball On Magnet) to photo tranistor board emitter) and J1-3 is the +12 going to the Collector for that opto. You can test the 12 volts there making sure that opto board is working and properly sending out the +12v to the opto's. (also make sure all connectors and wires are secure here). If you have good 12v there you can test the actual opto's located in the ball gates.

#19 6 years ago

could also be opto's not properly aligned? Make sure both opto's are screwed in tight and not loose.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

Well I made a quick video of my problem, I filmed the switch diagram in the "switch edges" test, you can see my hand in the reflection of the speaker panel, i roll a ball through the beam and it opens the switch but it does not close, I then give the playfield a pound and the switch closes again.

The switch changing state when you pound the playfield indicates a connection issue. My first guess, as I mentioned above, would be a cracked lead on one of the optos. The one on the right takes a lot of abuse due to launched balls. Could also just be a bad solder joint on one of the opto boards. Replace both of your long range optos. While you have them old one out, inspect the wiring closely and test for continuity on the wires. If okay, solder in the new optos and retest. Do not use Radio Shack optos. Get the correct WMS optos. You can get the optos individually for Rob Anthony (lockwhenlit.com), or buy the optos already attached to the small opto boards from the usual suppliers. Part numbers are listed in the manual.

Quoted from MagicMako:

Also, I ran a few magnet tests again, and i was getting lamp interference errors again during opto check 1, which i had gotten before, then it went away for awhile, now it's back again.

When you replace the optos, make sure the new receiver goes on the same side as the old receiver. Same with the emmiter. I believe the emitter is on the right side (my game is on location 15 miles away or I'd look). Then run magnet test again.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Make sure the left or right gate isn't getting in the way of the beam. Hold the left gate open when you're doing this. Perhaps your pounding the playfield is enough to make the left gate bounce out of the way.

I want to thank you guys for your help, aObrien5, kporter, and phishrace, you guys rule. After inspecting the gates some more I noticed when I would give the SLIGHTEST of nudges to the left gate the switch would read closed again, i did this a few times, opened the switch, it would stay open, and then basically the smallest of movements from the left gate would cause the switch to close again.

I noticed if i held the gate over to the side a bit, the beam would open and close no problem, so for now, I put 2 flat washers around the gate wire to keep it to the side.

20140610_150241.jpg

I guess Im hoping this is the only issue, in all the threads I read i never heard of the gates being on issue for the long opto, but i played a few games on it, and all of the symptoms I have mentioned seem to have gone away. We shall see though. I will be making all of those checks you guys suggested though just in case.

#22 6 years ago

Cool. Get yourself a new spring. I had a homemade left gate that had a similar problem.

Edit: also, I think the gate is supposed to be on top of the plastic. That would lift the gate and probably keep it out of the way.

#23 6 years ago

Edit: Man I made a mess of my post here, long story short, I have no spring there, it's a piece of wire.

MistGate.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside