Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cool_picture_1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Ok fellas I need some help. I recently picked up a BSD that had some opto issues. I knew going into this that there were problems. When i got the game my buddy told me that he has issues with the 10 opto board giving him problems. He did some fixes on it and it would work randomly so i decided to just purchase a new one to throw in there because i knew that the optos can play havoc in BSD. I initially plugged the new board in and started getting ground row 1 short error and it blows f-114 immediately.

I went through the game and checked for any issues with the row 1 switches and couldn't find any. Ok I thought, maybe it's the MPU board that has issues. I replaced the board with a known working one from a WPC 89 game that i had and it gives me the same errors. Must be on the playfield somewhere, but all of the Row 1 switches look ok. No loose diodes, solder joints or loose wires. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I decide to look into the new 10 opto board I put in there and start unplugging connectors one at a time. I unplug the connector for switches 51-57, reboot and the error goes away but now none of the direct switches work. I can't get into the menu to test anything. Sometimes when i boot it up all the coils will pulse and not stop, other times it will boot somewhat normally.

Any help would be appreciated,it's driving me nuts trying to figure this out. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Check the connector on the MPU for the and acid damage. I had this same issue and it ended up needed a new connector.

#3 8 years ago

My mpu is new with a NVRAM installed. I believe my problems derive from the f-114 fuse blowing. Someone on Facebook just explained that the 12v for the switches comes from the 18v from the lamps and if that's blowing then I'll have issues. I did change br-1 already.

#4 8 years ago

Double check all your ribbon cables. It's easy to have one installed one pin off or upside down.

I installed one upside down on my TZ once, and it gave me a ground row error.

#5 8 years ago

Checked them all and everything is seated correctly

#6 8 years ago

Go back to the original board and see if the fuse blows and if you still get the error.

#7 8 years ago

when i put the original 10 opto board in it does the same thing. That's the only board that has been changed. I'm thinking that somewhere in the +18v line it a problem. I've swapped br1, wish i could find something that tells me what else to check.

#8 8 years ago

F114 is for the lamp matrix so it sounds like you have two seperate problems; one with the lamp matrix and one with the switch matrix. We'll go after the fuse first. Does F118 blow as soon as you turn the game on.

#9 8 years ago

its a +18v issue. It turned out to be a bad cap and br1. Apparently when I replaced the br1 I should've done the cap C2 as well. All is well now on the BSD front. Thanks for all the help. Donation made!

#10 8 years ago

Ok now I have an issue with Coil#6 locking on. I replaced the TIP36 and the TIP 102. I checked the opto for that coil and it is fine. I hope it is not one of the IC chips on the driver board. Any thoughts on this?

#11 8 years ago

So you replaced Q66 and Q65 (I think, the digital schematic I have is hard to read)?

Check pin 15 on U5.

#12 8 years ago

I'm afraid we've another wrong tech-chart plugging here.

Do you have a plug connected on J131 with a single wire BLU-RED ?
According to manual it belongs on J128. But I think it belongs on J123.

Can someone look into a BSD and confirm this.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Do you have a plug connected on J131 with a single wire BLU-RED ?
According to manual it belongs on J128. But I think it belongs on J123.

Hey zaza, according to the manual solenoid #6 would be Q66, which goes to J130-7, which would also go to J131-3. Do I have that wrong?

#14 8 years ago

That is correct.

But it makes me thinking that this new problem with a locked-on coil occurred after the repair and possible putting the board back into the machine with the help from the manual which is likely wrong on the sol #24.

#15 8 years ago

sorry, I mean sol.#26 BLU-RED

#16 8 years ago

picture ofcourse
cool picture 1.jpgcool picture 1.jpg

#17 8 years ago

I have a row 1 ground error on my JM and Hibler gave a suggestion on my thread which I have yet to try out. Maybe take a look at that too. I have very little idea on electrical issues. Good luck. I hope I can get mine fixed too.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from thadawkins:

I checked the opto for that coil and it is fine.

An opto won't cause a coil to lock on. It might cause the coil to fire repeatedly, but not lock on.

Quoted from terryb:

So you replaced Q66 and Q65

Q66 is the drive for Solenoid 6. Correct.

So after your first repair, all was well, and THEN a few days later, this coil began to lock on?
Have you repaired anything else on the game?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#19 8 years ago

I repaired the +18v line on the board. I spoke with Jerry Clause and i'm sending him the board to take care of. Unfortunately due to work i don't have as much time to spend on it as i would like. Thanks for the help though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-ground-row-1-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.