You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200930-034731_Hancom Office S Viewer (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200930-033300_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_20200727_131532 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200727_131524 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider saddath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Ok I'm kind of stuck with getting my BSD back to working and hoping for the pinside hivemind to come up with some ideas.
First of I'm still learning the ropes of repairing games. So i might need some further help as I can not 100% read and understand the schematics.

Ok what has happened and what has been done so far in a short summary:

- Working BSD was in Attract mode. Suddenly a ballsearch went off with solenoids firing and it smelt burned.
-> Machine turned off.
- When turning back on again, ballsearch goes on and the game is showing error on the optos #53 Top right Lane and #73 L Ramp entry
- Found a burnt C10 condensator on my 24 Switch opto assembly.
-> Replaced C10 and C7 with new condensators
-> Problem remains
- Noticed acid damage on the CPU from a former Battery damage (Has been this way when bought, had no clue what to look for back then, BSD worked for a year with it up to the problem)
-> Replaced almost all of the components of the CPU from the height of U12 downwards including IC's Resistors, diodes etc.
- Furthermore I noticed the missing LED light on 24 switch opto assembly, found a blown F116 fuse
-> Replaced fuse, Problem remains.
- Tested the switch Matrix on the CPU with a jumper cable from J207 to J209.
-> All switches showing off correctly
- Run a switch test on the game with everything plugged in
-> All switches register normally. I can even open and close switch #53 T R lane and #73 L Ramp entry. So I got no clue why I still get them as an error message.

This is about it. Any ideas or help for a fellow beginner

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Good work so far, especially with rebuilding the MPU. I suggest upgrading to 6264 NVRAM to remove the batteries forever.

This same thing happened to mine. Did you repair the damaged traces to the solder leads of both C7 and C10 capacitors on both sides of the board? Without the LED being lit, power will not get to the LM339 parts.
The electrolyte that leaks from these electrolytic capacitors is just as bad as the alkaline leakage from alkaline batteries. In both cases it eats up traces. The burning smell was the capacitor when the electrolyte crossed between the + and - shorting out the capacitor.

Thanks. Was my first solder job on boards but I'm pretty sure it turned out good.
I made an external battery holder that is placed on the side of the backboard.

Damn I'm sure I checked the leads on one side. But not sure if on both (edit: I checked pictures. Should be ok damage was not that big, pic attached)

The LED is lit on the 24 switch opto board after changing F116.

IMG_20200727_131524 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_131524 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_131532 (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_131532 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

Ok. Good. That that not how it read to me at 2am after a bathroom wakeup call.
I will have to review your notes again tomorrow.

No Problem. Appreciate your help. Have a good sleep.

#8 3 years ago

My game has been working for 2 months now once I got my 12V power rail returned to the switch opto board.
You recently posted a picture which looks like the mist motor board to me. Were you calling this the 24 switch opto board?
Did you already fix this issue on that board?
[quoted image]

Yes this is the 24 switch opto board acrding to the manual and that was what I was referring to.

There i changed both capacitors and got the LED back on. But still got the ballsearch and switcherrors.

#11 3 years ago

That's right. It is definitely for the mist optos, not for the motor as I was originally thinking.
I think you may want to do a factory reset to clear out the error messages and retest
The C1 was the capacitor that leaked and burnt on the 7 opto board in my game. I think you should replace it as well since it will be a matter of time. When C1 leaked, it ate up part of a trace under it. I need to see if I still have pictures of it.
[quoted image]

Ok will change this one too. Has the same specs as the others.
Will also check C 2 on the PDB

I will report back some time later when I did a reset.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:That's right. It is definitely for the mist optos, not for the motor as I was originally thinking.
I think you may want to do a factory reset to clear out the error messages and retest
The C1 was the capacitor that leaked and burnt on the 7 opto board in my game. I think you should replace it as well since it will be a matter of time. When C1 leaked, it ate up part of a trace under it. I need to see if I still have pictures of it.

Ok did a factory reset game starts up normal now.

Wow. If it was really that...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 5.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider saddath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-confusing-problem-ballsearch-opto-error-?tu=saddath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.