Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tmezel
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image-888.jpg
image.jpg
BSD Plastic Casket .JPG

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I am working on restoring my BSD and it has seen better days. The coffin box has gotten too hot at some point due to the lights. I have searched everywhere for a replacement and no luck. Anyone have any suggestions on a mod or location where I can purchase a replacement coffin base?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

#2 5 years ago

hi jar, mine is cracked and I can't find one either. b.a.a. has the lids but that's it. g.l. joe

#3 5 years ago

Hi Joe,

Found the new lid with out issue. This coffin piece will haunt my dreams...

Hopefully some one will see this and give us a hand on a reproduction of some sort...

I am going to try and see what I can make, but I am sure it will be ugly as fabricating is not my strongest suit.

Thanks for the post Joe. Hopefully if we keep the thread alive we can gain some traction. If they make lids it only makes sense that some one will want to make the coffin to go with them

#4 5 years ago

hi jar, I wonder if someone that does 3d printing can make them? joe

#5 5 years ago

I was wondering the same thing

#6 5 years ago

When you say the coffin base, do you mean the part with the decal around it? If so, is the plastic burnt or the decal.

#7 5 years ago

hi terry, mine has a crack right in the middle of where the ball goes into the wire ramp to the pop bumpers.plastic surgery didn't hold the pieces together . joe

#8 5 years ago

You could probably repair that with Plastex and put some fiberglass cloth on the inside where it won't show. Watch the video on the following page. It shows the technique with the fiberglass cloth.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/tools-and-supplies/178-plastex-repair-kit

The reason I asked is I think I may have a spare coffin, but wanted to understand what the issue was before digging through all my stuff. I'm confused by how the plastic can be burnt when there's a decal over most of the coffin.

#9 5 years ago

hi terry,your site is great!!! I seen that vid already good info. if any of the 906 sockets are loose the bulb can touch the plastic. thanks joe

#10 5 years ago

Hi terryb,

The Coffin is actually melted. It has burned and warped the actual coffin. If you had a spare I would love to purchase it for my machine. I am using light weight filler to try and fix but it just does not look that great. I will continue to work on it, but am interested in finding a proper replacement even if its some sort of reproduction or modified coffin base. Just want it to look good as I am putting alot of time and energy into restoring the machine.

Thank you for your responses.

#11 5 years ago

jar23,

PM me your address and I'll send you a coffin with the decal (used of course). Do you need the metal base/chute or the red plastic that holds the three bulbs? Just give me a few days to ship.

TerryB

#12 5 years ago

TerryB,

I sent a PM. Thank you !!!

- Jar23

#13 5 years ago

hi terryb, that was nice of you!!!!! joe

#14 5 years ago

Could someone post a pic of the damaged part you were looking for please? A member on here - Swinks, is a whiz at designing parts for 3D plastic printing. If there is a demand for it, he may be able to design one and put it in his Shapeways shop.

#15 5 years ago

hin pin, mine is damaged. maybe someone in bram stokers Dracula club is doing a teardown and can post the pics. joe

#16 5 years ago

I can post a pic as soon as I return home this weekend for the holiday. Mine will be a pic of the damaged one but should be good enough for reference.

#17 5 years ago

I have a BSD machine. I just want to confirm the piece that you guys are talking about.

#18 5 years ago

Its is the large plastic base with the stickers on it. Dracula actually rest on it... under the clear/smoked lid.

I guess I should call it the casket... I hope that helps, sorry for my poor terminology.

#19 5 years ago

If anyone else has the same part, mine is also melted. I would be happy to pay for a replacement.

Thank You,
Justin

#20 5 years ago

Can someone post a pic of the coffin that needs to be replaced.

#21 5 years ago

I am assuming it is the whole plastic under Dracula...but I am not one with the problem so just guessing...

http://img-s.pinside.com/archive/eb/original/eb17b6d054a2aa4c7679c31ef120498d1486c143.jpg

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I am assuming it is the whole plastic under Dracula...but I am not one with the problem so just guessing...
http://img-s.pinside.com/archive/eb/original/eb17b6d054a2aa4c7679c31ef120498d1486c143.jpg

I am in for making a replacement I think. I have to close up some other lagging projects before I start. My neighbor has this game so I can probably get his to use as a model.

#23 5 years ago

Here is a picture of the part in question. Hope this helps someone.

BSD Plastic Casket .JPG

#24 5 years ago

Mine looks exactly the same....same burn spot on the coffin! Except, mine is actually melted a little on the bottom part too

#25 5 years ago

Yeah, it gets worse on the inside.

I'll keep eye out for another coffin and if I find a decent non melted casket I'll send it your way jtimmons.

#26 5 years ago

Have you sorted out the obvious locked on flasher issue that originally caused that burn? Would be a shame to have it happen again. Go with LED flashers, much brighter in there, you can change colours, and no issue with a failed transistor.

#27 5 years ago

Yes, I have that issue sorted out. Thank you though for bringing it up just in case.

#28 5 years ago

Hey jar23, if you want to send me your melted coffin once you get the one I sent I'll see if I can repair it. If that works we could keep passing them around and get a few people setup.

No guarantee on the repair, but it's worth a try. For anyone curious I would be using the Plastex product.

#29 5 years ago

terryb, I sure can. I have applied some light weight filler to the sides to level it off ,but I will sand it down smooth and send it your way.

#30 5 years ago

Thanks for the pic. I have let Swinks know about this thread and will see if it is something that he might be able to replicate and offer via Shapeways.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Thanks for the pic. I have let Swinks know about this thread and will see if it is something that he might be able to replicate and offer via Shapeways.

I probably gonna try to do this too, but won't be using shapeways, should be able to do it for a reasonable price.

#32 5 years ago

I can have a look as well if people want a shapeways version. I don't think a PLA 3D printed version would be suitable due to the burn marks people are getting as 3D printed stuff will distort where the Shapeways ones is laser bound nylon and a little more tolerant to heat. Leave to the public to decide what option they want.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I can have a look as well if people want a shapeways version. I don't think a PLA 3D printed version would be suitable due to the burn marks people are getting as 3D printed stuff will distort where the Shapeways ones is laser bound nylon and a little more tolerant to heat. Leave to the public to decide what option they want.

The quick and simple answer to burn issues is to install LED flashers so even is the flasher transistor locks on, it won't cause damage anything like the old 906 flashers did. So it doesn't matter what the actual construction is, as long as it works it should be better than having a damaged coffin.

Swinks, would the Shapeways version lend itself to different coloured coffins or metallic look finishes? It could turn into a half decent mod as well as being a necessity for BSD owners.

Something that would be nice is some sort of mod to replace the horrible ill fitting cover at the back of the headstone. It looks crap.

#34 5 years ago

The heat off the LED will not be harmful to the PLA.

#35 5 years ago

Anyone know where to get the very back piece that's behind the coffin with the screw in the top?

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Anyone know where to get the very back piece that's behind the coffin with the screw in the top?

No but I wish someone would make a better looking and better fitting mod to replace that piece.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

I also need this piece.

Quoted from Pintoxicated:

No but I wish someone would make a better looking and better fitting mod to replace that piece.

That would be sweet!

#38 5 years ago

I received the coffin from my buddy. I am considering the back piece too. As soon as I close the orders and do some Wolfie testing I will get to work on this. I also have access to make some better decals. In the end, I think we can do something nice here for a very reasonable price. All inputs are welcomed.

#39 5 years ago

The coffin back piece needs to center on the headstone, mounting hole located in wrong spot, I redid mine to center it over headstone, looks a lot better.

#40 5 years ago

Ready for test fit.

image-888.jpgimage.jpg

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Ready for test fit.

Looks good. Not being familiar with 3D printers, how sturdy is the end result?

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Looks good. Not being familiar with 3D printers, how sturdy is the end result?

I actually have drop targets that seem to work well.

#43 5 years ago

sweet!

#44 5 years ago

That looks fantastic! Keep up the great work!

#45 5 years ago

Test fitting went well, I just plan on trying to match the paint as best I can. You will be responsible for replacing the decals.

Or...

I could see if I could do all three pieces and make it a bit more cool. Not use the old decals. Give me some feedback here.

#46 5 years ago

I would want new decals

#47 5 years ago

Even though the decals are stock, they're kindof cheesy....a nicely detailed coffin, maybe black with gold or pewter hardware, etc would really look nice!

#48 5 years ago

Since the one back piece is a plastic with a screen print, I will only be making the replacement base. I will continue to take feedback on what the base decal should look like.

#49 5 years ago

if you could make it with the stone texture that would be sweet. Most guys get the other molded plastics custom painted anyways for BSD. I don't see why this piece would be any different if it warranted it.

#50 5 years ago

I don't have a good opinion on the coffin decals, but am certainly down to buy a replacement coffin! Thanks for doing this guys!

This is the part of the forum that is a great resource to the community!

Feel free to PM me when ready and take my money!

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside