SOLVED - BSD MIST Opto Issues

By knockerlover

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm having an issue with mist (long range opto) that I could use pinsider help with..

Symptom: Mist motor keeps running back and forth.. ball doesn't attempt to load.

Problem: "Ball on magnet" switch, in switch test will not close when interrupting the long opto beam on the playfield.

Troubleshooting steps:
Row/Col for the "ball on magnet" switch can be successfully tested at the mpu, eliminating the MPU as the issue
Replaced the opto board w/ the homepin opto board and the LED indicator light is lit, and goes out when breaking the beam w/ my hand. The "ball on magnet" switch never closes in switch test.
Continuity for the row/col test successfully from J3 back to the appropriate pin on the MPU.
All other switches/opto's in the game work correctly
Repinned J3 connector (grasping at straws)
Replaced both transmit and receive optos (grasping at straws)

update: using the original board and a TV remote towards the receiver, the "ball on magnet" switch will close, but manually interrupting the beam will not. I can see the transmitter lit up w/ an IR camera.

using the homepin board, and a TV remote towards the receiver, nothing happens.. I'm thinking the homepin board is defective.

a diode between j3 pin 1&3 (row/col) closes the "ball on magnet" switch correctly, so this should rule out the playfield wiring, and MPU as an issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

I have heard of the homepin board having issues like this. Do you happen to have the original 24opto board?

#3 5 years ago

It is time to change the transmitter opto.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I have heard of the homepin board having issues like this. Do you happen to have the original 24opto board?

Yes I have the original board.. which only sometimes works..

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is time to change the transmitter opto.

I've already replaced it, and the LED being lit on the homepin board indicates that it's working, doesn't it?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Yes I have the original board.. which only sometimes works..

I've already replaced it, and the LED being lit on the homepin board indicates that it's working, doesn't it?

Not necessarily from what i remember.... try the original board and c what happens

#7 5 years ago

I am not familiar with that board.

Does the Mist opto register in the switch edge test?

#8 5 years ago

Here is homepins post about this board and the indicator light.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-mist-woes-long-beam-opto#post-2977881

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not necessarily from what i remember.... try the original board and c what happens

The original board only works sometimes, like on initial startup then the same thing happens.

#10 5 years ago

The original board only works sometimes, like on initial startup then the same thing happens.

If I recall, that’s exactly what was happening with mine. It worked on startup and that’s it. For me it was just changing out the transmitter. The receiver opto rarely fails. Is it saying check switch 82?

#11 5 years ago

Board just needs a new capacitor at c7 more than likely. That fixed mine and others ive did for people with same issue.

#12 5 years ago

Does the Mist opto register in the switch edge test?

#13 5 years ago

Problem: "Ball on magnet" switch, in switch test will not close when interrupting the long opto beam on the playfield

#14 5 years ago

Is the transmitter opto lit when you look through a digital camera?

#15 5 years ago

Is the transmitter opto lit when you look through a digital camera?

yes

#16 5 years ago

You said it will work once on start up? Try taking a TV remote to it. I found that reset it. I think the remote only works on the long range opto due to the intermittent pattern it transmits.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Since when?

#18 5 years ago

I’ve read a few other topics with mist multi, new homepin board and the issue persisted. However, that doesn’t prove the board is to fault

#19 5 years ago

Since i read about issues with them here in pinside..... u think i just make random stuff up?

#20 5 years ago

It does happen...mine would continuously load the mist ball and then dump it into the PF. It was a constant never-ending cycle.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-clubmembers-only/page/81#post-3521701

Homepin was great and sent me new boards right away.

#21 5 years ago

Is thr green led lit on the homepin? Mine had an issue eith the sensitivity pot on the board. Wigglef it and it would work

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Since i read about issues with them here in pinside..... u think i just make random stuff up?

Ya never know here on Pinside. Hahaha

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

It does happen...mine would continuously load the mist ball and then dump it into the PF. It was a constant never-ending cycle.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-clubmembers-only/page/81#post-3521701
Homepin was great and sent me new boards right away.

I purchased one of these recently... Just in case. Guess I better try it out before it's too late to exchange it.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Is thr green led lit on the homepin? Mine had an issue eith the sensitivity pot on the board. Wigglef it and it would work

Yes.

#25 5 years ago

Receiver opto was my fix for this same issue...after replacing everything else first and failing (as I also read that it wasn't likely the issue).

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Receiver opto was my fix for this same issue...after replacing everything else first and failing (as I also read that it wasn't likely the issue).

That would be my next step.

#27 5 years ago

That would be my next step.

Both Optos were already replaced as part of the troubleshooting.

#28 5 years ago

Solved - Shotgun replaced the inductor at L1, and the two 100uf 35v caps at C7 and C10

100v CAPS:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 100uF 35 Volts 20%
Mouser #: 647-UBT1V101MPD8
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UBT1V101MPD8?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22V0MROMK3ArmyX1oZpqY%2fr0RM2DrFwhDNQ%3d%3d

Inductor:
Fixed Inductors RF CHOKE 10mH 5%
Mouser #: 434-03-103J
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fastron/11P-103J-50?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiCf2aT7H2pVwVdI7qUUnhka%252baaAQFm49g%3d

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-ball-on-magnet-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.