20210731_092240.jpg
20210725_082419.jpg
Screenshot_20210728-175241_Gallery.jpg
BSDswitchstatus (resized).png
20210725_082419.jpg
BSDSwitchMatrix (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hi,

New owner of Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's a great pin, and while it's firing 90% accurately, I've come into two issues that are likely interrelated.

On test, it seems to think there's a ball missing despite all four being in the machine. Mist ball works fine, however occasionally after triggering Bats or Castle Lock, a ball fails to pop up. In the case of Bats, you just have to wait until the timer expires.

Any ideas where to starting with this one? I'm new to pins in general so apologies for the inevitable dumb follow-up questions.

Cheers!

#2 2 years ago

Open your manual to page 1-13 and perform switch tests. You'll find one or more of them not registering properly.

Odds are whatever switch is associated with Rats and one of your trough switches isn't working. There could be a variety of reasons for that. Let's start by figuring out which one(s) are malfunctioning.

Welcome to Pinside!

BSDSwitchMatrix (resized).pngBSDSwitchMatrix (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

Thanks a bunch for the welcome and starting help.

True to my promise in my first post, I will ask a pretty dumb question. What should I be looking for in this test? I can see what is open or closed, but dont really know what to make of it.

When I run the solenoid test everything appears to be running with the exception of 'knocker', which doesnt appear to do anything. The 'Castle Release' test, which activates the problem area seems to be working, but this is clearly what fails to trigger at the appropriate time.

I dont know if that is helpful, but I'm open to anything.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Treelk:

What should I be looking for in this test? I can see what is open or closed,

In the switch test, with four balls in the game we're looking for switches 41-44 to be closed. This will tell us that those four switches recognize that a ball is present.

Bear in mind that during play one of the four balls gets loaded into the Myst area so it's normal to see three trough switches closed and either switch 61 or 63 closed because the Myst ball should be in one of those locations.

For testing you can use another ball or take the Myst ball out and use that one.

If you want to take a photo of the switch edge test and post it maybe we can help explain what it's telling you.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Built-in_Switch_Testing

#5 2 years ago

Thank you. It looks like:

61-63 open
41/42 closed
43/44 open

Here's the switch test too.

Thank you again for your help and patience!

20210725_082419.jpg20210725_082419.jpg
#6 2 years ago

When you took that photo, where were the balls?
Four in the trough?
or
Three in the trough, one in a Myst lock?

I -think- Bram Stoker's Dracula kicks out balls from the coffin lock at the end of a game but I'm not 100% sure.

#7 2 years ago

Two in the trough, one in castle lock and one in mist. It seems that for whatever reason, the castle lock only occasionally releases the ball properly.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

either switch 61 or 63 closed because the Myst ball should be in one of those locations.

I'm assuming you mean switches 51 and 53?
Switches 61-63 are for the Jet Bumpers.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I'm assuming you mean switches 51 and 53?

Oooops. I meant 81 or 83, thinking that the Myst ball would be in one of those positions. But the switch matrix doesn't show those as optos. Treelk 's photo does show 83 closed though so that's probably the Myst ball.
Thank you for catching my mistake.

Quoted from Treelk:

Two in the trough, one in castle lock and one in mist.

Ok. Let's go over what this picture shows us. Back in post 2 or inside the back cover of your manual we see the switch matrix chart. The left side shows a column of dedicated grounded switches. Those are represented in the photo as the eight dots on the left side. A dot means the switch is "open". All is well so far since we expect all of those switches to be open.

The first closed switch is in column 2, row 4. It's represented in the photo by a box. Looking at the switch matrix that's number 24 "Always Closed". So far, so good.

The next closed switches are column 4, rows 1&2. Switches 41 &42 are Trough 1 ball and Trough 2 ball and you said you had two in the trough so that looks right.

Column 5, rows 1-7 are opto switches. They are normally closed and in your photo they show as boxes so those appear to be working.

Column 7, rows 1-3 all show as closed in the photo. The matrix lists those as optos - but wait!

Quoted from Treelk:

one in castle lock

Ahha! An anomaly.
When an opto switch is blocked by a ball it should show as open and look like a dot. You should be able to test that at the left ramp entry. Block that with your finger or a ball and switch 73 should change state.
Switch 71 should show open if there is a ball present. It shows as closed in the photo. So check that opto.
Could need cleaning, could have a bad transmitter or receiver, or could be mis-aligned.

I suggest you pull out all the balls and see if you can get that switch to register consistently. You might try using your phone on video setting, I think you can see if a transmitter is working like that.

Let us know if you have more questions or need more help.

BSDswitchstatus (resized).pngBSDswitchstatus (resized).png
#10 2 years ago

One thing I can't tell is where does the ball go when you hit the Rats shot? Is there a subway that takes it over to the Castle Popper? That might explain why Rats isn't working either.

#11 2 years ago

There is one connector under the playfield for all three of the castle lock switches. If none of them work in switch edges test (run a ball thru or use your finger), follow the wires under the playfield to that connector and make sure it's not unplugged. If it is unplugged, the other end should be nearby and wire colors should match up.

#12 2 years ago

Well, thank you both for the help. I started troubleshooting, and it just kinda worked itself out. It all seems to have been rooted in the ball missing error, and now it's just kind of working? I can't help but feel there's still something off, but for the moment, it's working.

Thanks for helping out. I'm sure I'll be back if this grows another head.

#13 2 years ago

YeOldPinPlayer I guess my optimism was misplaced. The problem can be resummarized as this: when you get bats and the castle lock activates, the ball gets stuck in castle lock, opposed to being released. Sometimes a second ball fires, other times the machine reports ball missing, and everything releases until the ball is found.

Also adding my switch edges.
If helpful, I can post a video of it happening as I can recreate the problem easily.

20210725_082419.jpg20210725_082419.jpgScreenshot_20210728-175241_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210728-175241_Gallery.jpg
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Treelk:

when you get bats and the castle lock activates, the ball gets stuck in castle lock

While you're in your switch edges test and you put a ball in rats does any switch activate?

#15 2 years ago

Assuming you mean bats, yes, it activates 53, 54, 57: the three optos for castle lock. It seems to be working off and on.

Interestingly enough, my problems are getting a bit worse. It seems launch ball is no longer working. Here, both the Shooter lane switch (17) and launch ball (34) are working, but the ball simply isn't firing.

#16 2 years ago

Also on running the Shooter solenoid test, it appears to do nothing. If I recall correctly, that should fire the ball?

#17 2 years ago

Well... I imagine this is the culprit... Time to solder?

20210731_092240.jpg20210731_092240.jpg
#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Treelk:

Assuming you mean bats, yes, it activates 53, 54, 57: the three optos for castle lock.

Ha, you have been saying bats the whole time and my mind went to rats way back in post two and I never noticed.
What is the bats shot? Left ramp? If so, what about switch 73, the left ramp entry opto? Check that one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-ball-missing-error-bats- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.