(Topic ID: 208252)

BSD - autoplunging and two balls? that didn't sound right...or did it?

By Colsond3

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Colsond3
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4782 (resized).JPG
IMG_4781 (resized).JPG
IMG_4780 (resized).JPG
IMG_4770 (resized).JPG
IMG_4769 (resized).JPG
IMG_4767 (resized).JPG
IMG_4768 (resized).JPG
IMG_4761 (resized).JPG
IMG_4762 (resized).JPG
IMG_4760 (resized).JPG
IMG_4712 (resized).JPG
IMG_4759 (resized).JPG
IMG_4756 (resized).JPG
IMG_4757 (resized).JPG
IMG_4758 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Last issue after the LED job on BSD...plunger is auto firing and after it launches it will load another ball into the shooter lane, but that one doesn't fire. Just sits there until I hit the plunger button. And if the existing ball drains, it doesn't read end of ball until the second one is launched and drains. This happens for all 3 balls during a game.

I had a Switch 17 error, and that went away but the game is still doing the issue above. I checked the shooter lane and trough switches and engagement of the actuators, and everything seems fine. I did change the bulb in the plunger button, but even if the issue was emanating from there, I don't think that would cause another ball to kick out of the trough into the shooter lane...different switch. Either way, all the wires and actuator on the plunger button look fine. I did a switch edge test, and everything came up ok for the shooter lane

Any help or suggestions?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

after the LED job

Nuff said. lol

Check the ball trough switches next.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I checked the shooter lane and trough switches and engagement of the actuators, and everything seems fine.

Haha...already did, smart ass.

That's what irritating...the game had zero issues before I started tinkering. Iatrogenic injury.

#4 6 years ago

Sorry dude. I kept looking for the word trough in your original post but must have been blinded by the LEDs.

It will always pop a ball into the shooter lane if there is none sensed in the mist locks. But then it should try to load it. Somebody that's more awake right now may be of more help.

Make sure you don't have one too many balls in the machine. I did that once and it got wonky too.

#5 6 years ago

A couple thoughts. The arm that kicks the ball to the shooter lane, if it's anywhere near the arm of the last switch, bend the kicker over a little so it isn't hitting the switch.

The shooter lane switch. The green wire and what ever color stripe. There is a micro mini switch under the playfield, left rear corner. Two wires of that color into a connector pushed onto the switch. Be sure those two crimped wires are making good electrical contact inside that connector.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A couple thoughts. The arm that kicks the ball to the shooter lane, if it's anywhere near the arm of the last switch, bend the kicker over a little so it isn't hitting the switch.

Thanks Lloyd. Done. It was close, but didn't fix the issue. Still bent it over a little.

What area is the micro switch in? I was looking in the rear left corner, which I took as the bottom of the pf when it's lifted.

IMG_4758 (resized).JPGIMG_4758 (resized).JPG

IMG_4757 (resized).JPGIMG_4757 (resized).JPG

IMG_4756 (resized).JPGIMG_4756 (resized).JPG

IMG_4759 (resized).JPGIMG_4759 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sorry dude. I kept looking for the word trough in your original post but must have been blinded by the LEDs.

LOL...go post it in the puke thread. You'll be a hero...even though I think the game looks pretty damn good. Lots of cool white.

IMG_4712 (resized).JPGIMG_4712 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Weaver in the BSD thread said it could be a long Opto issue. Guess I'll have to pull out the manual.

#9 6 years ago

Do you maybe have an extra ball in the game? Should have four.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Weaver in the BSD thread said it could be a long Opto issue. Guess I'll have to pull out the manual.

+1 go through the switch test/ball test for it. Mine was doing that and the long opto was a little dirty. Those 24 opto boards are pretty notorious for having the caps go bad. Worth replacing if you're still having issues.

Ignore the haters - your game looks sweet

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

What area is the micro switch in? I was looking in the rear left corner, which I took as the bottom of the pf when it's lifted.

With playfield up and leaned back. Lower left area. Switch #16 L. Drop Score. Look for two Green wires with a brown stripe into one connector plugged onto middle post of that micro mini switch.

#12 6 years ago

put the game in the magnet test mode. it works out the trough, launcher, and the magnet optos. in that test mode you can watch all the relevant switches on the display as it cycles.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Do you maybe have an extra ball in the game? Should have four.

No, it has four. But I've made that simpleton mistake before. I wish any issue with BSD was that simple.

Quoted from dudah:

Ignore the haters - your game looks sweet

Thanks...fight the power.

Quoted from dudah:

Mine was doing that and the long opto was a little dirty.

Where is the long opto before I get back to the manual?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

With playfield up and leaned back. Lower left area. Switch #16 L. Drop Score. Look for two Green wires with a brown stripe into one connector plugged onto middle post of that micro mini switch.

That seems like it's OK physically (checking the wires), but now I'm getting a switch 16 L. Drop Score error when I boot up. And a left flipper EOS error....ugh

IMG_4760 (resized).JPGIMG_4760 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

That seems like it's OK physically (checking the wires), but now I'm getting a switch 16 L. Drop Score error when I boot up. And a left flipper EOS error....ugh

Go into switch test mode and trip the drop target, see if it trips the switch. My Shadow wasn't tripping and I had to bend the switch arm up and it worked fine.

#16 6 years ago

Magnet checking out fine.

Quoted from dudah:

Go into switch test mode and trip the drop target, see if it trips the switch.

It tripped the switch. This is why you don't tinker with a perfectly working game…

IMG_4762 (resized).JPGIMG_4762 (resized).JPG

IMG_4761 (resized).JPGIMG_4761 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Where is the long opto before I get back to the manual?

The long opto runs the width of the machine nearly down the middle where the green mist is on the PF. The right side is the white transmitter. The left side is the black receiver. Make sure those two are in perfect alignment. Take the mist ball out while in switch test mode and swipe your hand through the invisible opto beam. You should hear the game detect your hand as if it was a ball and go "beep", triggering the long opto.

#18 6 years ago

I seem to remember there can be an issue with BSDs and LEDs. I can't remember if it had to do with too much light at the driver side (bouncing off the ball) or too much light and the receiver side of the Mist ball long optos.

Found it: post #10 here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-myst-multiball-issues

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

I seem to remember there can be an issue with BSDs and LEDs. I can't remember if it had to do with too much light at the driver side (bouncing off the ball) or too much light and the receiver side of the Mist ball long optos.
Found it: post #10 here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-myst-multiball-issues

Yeah this is why i suggest the magnet test mode in the diag menus. It even flashes a bunch of lamps to see if there is interference with the optos. You should be able to find any hangup with switches by using that magnet test mode.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

Someone mentioned that earlier and I remembered hearing something about it before when I had my first BSD. The optos are always a bit of a pain in the ass in this game. If that's it...I'll pop an incan back in there. Like I said, it was working perfectly before I bulbed the rest of the game (LED'd it a while ago, but never replaced a few incans, some of which were near the mist gates).

Quoted from barakandl:

Yeah this is why i suggest the magnet test mode in the diag menus.

I posted a pic above, and it seemed like during the magnet test everything was working ok. But I'll double check it once I check the cable and LED situation near the opto as suggested.

I'll report back later. Thanks for all the input fellas.

#21 6 years ago

you have eight faults in that picture. I think that means it counted eight switch errors. pay attention to when that error number increments. The DMD also shows you what switches are opened or closed.

#22 6 years ago

check the connectors on the mist opto board

sometimes the one molex connector comes out a little on mine, it will start shooting out multiple balls.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

you have eight faults in that picture. I think that means it counted eight switch errors. pay attention to when that error number increments. The DMD also shows you what switches are opened or closed.

Thanks. By the time I went through the game last night and made some adjustments, that number was down to 1, and it was still the L. Drop Score. I still have it opened up, so I'll jump back into it after work.

#24 6 years ago

Excellent

I changed the LED's near the right opto back to incans. No change. I checked and reseated the 3 connectors on the opto board. No change....actually it did change. Now I have 11 faults in the Magnet test. Still spitting out balls into the trough while one is in play.

And now on boot up, I have 4 switch errors. 16 L. Drop Score still there. F1 right flipper EOS. F2 right flipper button. F6 UR flipper button. All the switches on those things look and test fine. WTF?

IMG_4768 (resized).JPGIMG_4768 (resized).JPG

IMG_4767 (resized).JPGIMG_4767 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

The plot thickens. After some tinkering, all of the errors are gone at start up. Switch 17 was coming up, the shooter lane. But even now that is gone. No errors and no credit dot. But it is still kicking multiple balls out into the shooter lane.

I did notice that the kicker arm in the trough that kicks the balls up to the switches / resting trough spot isn't retracting all the way?

IMG_4769 (resized).JPGIMG_4769 (resized).JPG

IMG_4770 (resized).JPGIMG_4770 (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I did notice that the kicker arm in the trough that kicks the balls up to the switches / resting trough spot isn't retracting all the way?

Time to tear it apart and clean and fix. Pivot point gummed up, maybe a new coil sleeve.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Time to tear it apart and clean and fix. Pivot point gummed up, maybe a new coil sleeve.

Could that be causing the issue with multiple balls being put out into the shooter lane?

#28 6 years ago

Try this. Go into switch edge test and put a ball in the shooter lane. Make sure the switch stays activated the entire time the ball is there.

Just to clarify, is the switch activated when the ball kicks out then is deactivated when the ball sits against the plunger?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just to clarify, is the switch activated when the ball kicks out then is deactivated when the ball sits against the plunger?

It seems like it...let me do what you said.

And the kicker arm is fixed, and a new sleeve put in. As Lloyd said, it was just gummed up. From what I know, I don't think that would have anything to do with this issue anyway.

#30 6 years ago

The switch is staying activated the whole time it's there.

IMG_4780 (resized).JPGIMG_4780 (resized).JPG

IMG_4781 (resized).JPGIMG_4781 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

Turned it off and booted it back up. Credit dot is back with a switch 17 error.

If I depress the shooter lane switch even with it sitting in the attract mode, the plunger is popping out. Should that be happening?

IMG_4782 (resized).JPGIMG_4782 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

If I depress the shooter lane switch even with it sitting in the attract mode, the plunger is popping out. Should that be happening?

Yeah, it's a bitch on the finger isn't it?

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, it's a bitch on the finger isn't it?

Haha..I learned after the first time and then started using a Q-tip.

#34 6 years ago

Seriously, how many balls are in this thing. It says load 4 but remember 1 is already in the mist lock.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Seriously, how many balls are in this thing. It says load 4 but remember 1 is already in the mist lock.

If you are serious, there are only 4 balls in the game, including the mist. That's a rookie mistake I haven't made in a very long time....well, maybe once in the last few years.

#36 6 years ago

Maybe the diode on switch 17 is bad. Is your switch matrix on the CPU clean?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Maybe the diode on switch 17 is bad. Is your switch matrix on the CPU clean?

I'll have to take a look at that. I can test the diode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-autoplunging-and-two-balls-that-didnt-sound-right-or-did-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.