Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by damadczar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

We have a BSD on location and are having problems and can't figure it out. Sometimes the game will auto launch the ball at various times during the game. Sometimes when the game switches to the next player the ball will auto launch, many times before the player even has a chance to step up to the machine. Sometimes during the game with a ball in play the game will auto launch a second ball into play. It has even kicked two balls into the shooter lane and launched both. Its unpredictable as it doesn't do the same thing every single game. Has anyone else experienced this, if so how did you fix it?

#2 2 years ago

sounds like a flaky optic sensor in the ball trough, or bad solder joint on optic board, or loose connecter.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

sounds like a flaky optic sensor in the ball trough, or bad solder joint on optic board, or loose connecter.

yep check all of these.

mine started launching balls and loosing track of them once. It was just a loose connector on the optoboard.

Good luck hope you get it figured out

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I would reflow solder on all opto's and pins

#5 2 years ago

This is just a guess I've never had experience with BSD. Maybe it's not registering the Mist multi-ball when it's in place. Good luck with it though.

#6 2 years ago

If you check the solder joints and connections at the trough boards and all is ok, you may have a bad opto on one of the boards. You can buy replacement trough opto boards for $55 from Great Lakes Modular. The part numbers are WS95-TR and WS95-TT.

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

#7 2 years ago

Take the trough kicker off (the hinged thing that kicks balls into the shooter lane), clean it, and lubricate it. It has some kind of grease on it that seems to get sticky over time and causes the timing of the kickout sequence to get messed up and balls to autolaunch before you hit the button.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks for all the reply's. I don't remember BSD having trough optos, pretty sure its only switches, but I don't have the game in front of me. We replaced the trough switches two years ago when we go the game. It could be one of those is flaking out. We also recently replaced the 10-opto board under the playfield with a new one from Homepin.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Thanks for all the reply's. I don't remember BSD having trough optos, pretty sure its only switches, but I don't have the game in front of me. We replaced the trough switches two years ago when we go the game. It could be one of those is flaking out. We also recently replaced the 10-opto board under the playfield with a new one from Homepin.

I used to have the exact same issue with my old BSD. It was a worn out shooter lane kicker arm. Replace it and clean the trough mechs well

#10 2 years ago

BSD uses all microswitches in the ball trough and shooter lane. No optos in that area.

Take off the apron, place the game in Switch Edge Test and make sure all of the switches are closed when a ball is resting on them as they cycle through the trough and shooter lane.

RussM

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Ok last night I finally had a chance to trouble shoot our BSD. I pulled the apron and checked the trough switches and the switch in the shooter lane and all are working correctly. I checked them over and over in switch test, no problem. I had several coils popping for no reason and was getting opto error messages. I turned off the machine raised the playfield then unplugged and replugged all connectors on the opto boards, turned the game back on and it seemed to work. There were a couple of the plugs on the mist opto board that were a little loose. I think I need to replace those plugs and see if that fixes the issues. All the issues with this game seem to be intermittent. It never did launch extra balls or anything after I messed with the opto connections, but I don't see why this has anything to do with the trough switches.

#12 2 years ago

Reflow the solder on the pins on the board. Sounds like a cold solder joint.

#13 2 years ago

I have this recurring problem a lot. The 1st ball trough position switch (the one with the really long arm) gets stuck sometimes (the bent wire that actually moves the switch arm into the down position). I've tried cleaning it, but doesn't seem to fix the issue. Next time it gets stuck look under the pf to see if the switch arm stays down.

The symptoms I see are that the game keeps kicking the ball out of the trough (esp during any multiball) b/c it thinks it's in there when it shouldn't be. I also get random kick outs and an auto plunge when it gets stuck after a ball eject and the game still thinks there's a ball there.

In that regard I think b/c BSD's trough switches all have long arms and a fairly complex wire system they can get stuck. I've been meaning to just buy all new metal arms and rebuild that entire section (maybe adding some kind of grease to the metal loop the wires go into for rotating).

Does this make sense? I'll try to snap some pictures this weekend with arrows indicating what I'm talking about.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 5.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside