BSD - All Castle optos issue - Fixed

By BlueIrocGuy

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys,

My BSD developed a problem the other day while playing it. Ive searched through a bunch of posts and haven’t found anything quite like this yet. I’ve got an error with all castle optos not working (53,54, and 57) and the shooter and castle release solenoids firing one after the other, similar to a ball search. Those go off continuously, weather a game is playing or not. I guess those going off is related to the castle optos not working?

As far as the optos, I don’t see a direct wire connection or switch matrix correlation between them looking at the schematics. The 10 opto board has been replaced with the Homepin version. The castle optos use different LM339’s and no other problems show up on the test report, so I would rule that out as an issue. Not sure if I should look to the cpu board for the issue or just check wire continuity downstream from there. The game also has a rottendog cpu board replacement.

Thanks for any pointers on this!

#2 4 years ago

Those go off continuously, weather a game is playing or not. I guess those going off is related to the castle optos not working?..
Answer.

If those coils are opto controlled yes they will fire about 4 times letting you know those optos are not working.Its a WPC feature to let the operator know those optos are not working.
Open up the manual and locate those opto switches on the switch matrix chart and see if they are on the same row.Switches 53,54,57.
Did you try reseating the connector on that opto board?Look for loose wire starting with switch 53 then 54 and then 57 work your way upstream.Optos might also need a bit of fresh flow of solder to those wires.Remember for each opto there is a transmitter(one with bulb) and a receiver.For three optos to go bad at the same time is highly unlikely.

1 week later
#3 4 years ago

Ok, my bad on this one.... BSD showing a bunch of errors on the test report. Started working on continuity checks, hmmm nothing wrong here... Headslap time! Have I done a switch test yet? Arghh, everything checks good except for the castle 1 opto. Replace transmitter and receiver for that location and find one led with a broken lead. Game up and running again.

Mantra of the day for me —- Always remember to run the diagnostic tests built into the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-all-castle-optos-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.