• BS Dracula 67 votes
    45%
  • The Shadow 83 votes
    55%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160714_193142_(resized).jpg

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 7 years ago

Are you looking at the ones down in Evansville? They both look in really nice shape. I have a BSD and it's great. I've never played Shadow but I'm a fan of the movie and the game looks fun. Probably can't go wrong with either choice.

BSD isn't a mode based game though. It's all about stacking all three multiballs at the same time and see how long you can keep it alive. Great for tournaments. It might get a little monotonous with at home single player in a small collection. Earlier this week I stacked all three multiballs for the first time. Great Feeling! 30 MILLION!

#3 7 years ago

Yeah looking at the BS in evensville. Yeah this is only my second game and what I'm a bit afraid of! Is there a shadow there as well?

#4 7 years ago

Shadow is one of the best games ever. Great modes, additional goals to get to Final Battle, Final Battle itself is cool, smart layout with fast loops & lots of shots, Battlefield, unique ramp diverters that add a strategic twist no other pin has.

They share great sound, a cool magnet trick and challenging gameplay but TS is a huge and diverse package while BSD is extremely one tracked in my opinion.

BSD is fun, but this is no contest at all to me, Shadow wins my a mile in every aspect.

#5 7 years ago

BSD!!! However that is just my opinion. They are both great games. So no matter which you pick, you will be correct.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Yeah looking at the BS in evensville. Yeah this is only my second game and what I'm a bit afraid of! Is there a shadow there as well?

No, the Shadow's in Yoder, IN.

What's the magnet trick in Shadow?

Mist Multiball is one of the greatest tricks in pinball. It will impress a lot of people.

#7 7 years ago

Shadow by a mile. BSD is a 1 trick pony...it's a fun little game but not one I would want to own for more than a month.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Holds the ball and then moves it behind a moving wall for lock. Pretty cool...not as impressive as mist of course.

#8 7 years ago

You need both. These would make a great and varied 3 pin collection. BSD and TS are both 2 of the best games ever top 20 for sure. They will do nothing but increase in value if you want to sell/ trade down the road. There is not a better game in the 3k price range.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The ball lock. This guy is hitting it on his first shot:

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

The ball lock. This guy is hitting it on his first shot:
» YouTube video

Thanks. I couldn't see it in the video but I got it from Law's description.

#11 7 years ago

Both great games. I'd go with TS on this one. Sold my BSD, it's a little one dimensional but still a fun game. BSD can get a little frustrating mostly because I'm not very good. Shadow is staying put. TS to me has more to offer as you can vary your strategy from game to game.

#12 7 years ago

Traded TS for a BSD....totally worth it!

#13 7 years ago

Two games near the top of my wanted list. I'd probably go with a TS given the choice, but it's really close.

#14 7 years ago

I own BSD but both games are two of my favorites but I am going to have to go with BSD because it is a very fast and challenging game with a great theme and I have always like the music and callouts in the game. I also really like the artwork but shadow is still an awesome game.

#15 7 years ago

I own both, and I have to go with shadow. It will challenge you for a long time. BSD is kind of a one trick pony. BSD has great theme and lights, brutal gameplay, but nothing compared to the depth and challenge of shadow.

Axl

#16 7 years ago

Have both, love both, but they're very different games. Shadow overall I feel is better programmed, better toys, better shots, and is generally more fun. BSD is a good game, but the shots are MUCH harder to make, thus making it a more challenging game overall.

For quick fun games, or deep strategized ones, Shadow wins. BSD is also a lot of strategy and a lot of skill, but makes casual games frustrating more often than not.

#17 7 years ago

BSD for me. But you can't go wrong either way.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

BSD is a 1 trick pony.

Quoted from Axl:

BSD is kind of a one trick pony.

BSD has this one trick... Triple Multiball. And it is an amazing trick! One Multiball is kind of meh. Add a second, and it is really cool. Rock all three, and it blows the roof off your gameroom. There is nothing like cashing in triple castle jackpots as the machine is screaming Thiirrrrrrrttttyy Millllllllllllllionnnnnnn. Maybe even killing Dracula in his coffin. One trick pony? Hell yeah it is. And what a trick!

(All of that assumes proper setup. I only get triples about once a month on mine.)

#19 7 years ago

Owned both
Top 2 games on my "used to own list that I would buy again.

Shadow has the weaker theme of the two.
However Shadow has deeper rule set, more extensive shot selection and an upper playfield, but it does not have any pop bumpers, so game play is fast and furious, however shadow is a players game!

When I owned mine no guests ever figured out the diverters and the 2nd buttons and they never knew what to do when the ball was up top, it was just too much. I really liked it, but noone else played it, at that point, I only had three games in my collection, if it wasn't getting played it left the building.

BSD is fast and brutal! it punishes you for missing shots, very tough game and the only game I have owned that made me want to kick it!!!
Its a one trick pony with the mist ball, but its a really awesome trick!!!, you chase stacking the 3 multi balls. I can't tell you how many times I needed one more frickin shot to start all the multi's at once and then I drained it, "that keeps you coming back over and over again. Theme is integrated extremely well, whole game is dark and audio is fantastic, BSD also has that "just one more game" feeling more so than shadow.

I sold my HS2 and the Shadow at the same time and bought a HUO LOTR that I still have today.
I recently sold my BSD and bought my first NIB, a Metallica Pre to replace it.

Bottom line both great games with BSD getting the slight nod based on my own personal tastes.

#20 7 years ago

I may be a little biased but I like the BSD.

Seriously though, both are great titles and I've had both. Shadow is awesome and one of my favorite, but more to work on if something goes wrong and always ugly magnet wear at sanctum. Youll love either.

#21 7 years ago

Both great budget pins but ive had bsd the longest in my collection which has to say something lol......

#22 7 years ago

I'd go Shadow. I love them both but in a small collection BSD is too tough a game and very frustrating

#23 7 years ago

My brother owns a BSD and I own a Shadow. BSD has one of the coolest toys in all of pinball (where the ball seemingly "walks" across the playfield). However, for me, the The Shadow wins on the basis of overall fun. I've had mine for 12 years, longer than any other pin, and still love it.

#25 7 years ago

BSD!! Never could get in to Shadow. I've owned BSD three times. I traded my last one about a year ago. I miss it, but I probably won't get another one.

#26 7 years ago

Neither is a long term keeper to me, but TS is definitely a far better and more fun all around game.

#27 7 years ago

BSD by a long shot!

Wicked, wicked, game. Just make sure to get lightning flippers installed!

#28 7 years ago

I like BSD alot and owned one for 10 years. Shadow is my favorite game and have owned one for 15 years. BSD is gone, but Shadow will never leave.

#29 7 years ago

I've owned them both and both are keepers. You can't go wrong with either.

#30 7 years ago

Both!

#31 7 years ago

Shadow by a mile. Owned both kept shadow. No pops makes you keep you on your toes at all times. Bsd is fun for a month or so but to me it just didn't stick for me.

#32 7 years ago

I love the diverters in Shadow. It gets to be a handful controlling 4 buttons with the high speed of the game. I've only had my Shadow for a short while but so far feelings are mixed. The game has a lot going for it but brutal with drains. Good game for sure but could get frustrating in a very small collection. BSD is also on the tough side but not as hard imo. I'm not a fan of the theme at all but great gameplay for the money. It has a lot more going for it than just the mist mb. Both games are very different so you need to try out both games to see what you like.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I've owned them both and both are keepers. You can't go wrong with either.

Apparently they weren't keepers with owned being past tense...

TS is way better than BSD in almost every way.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I think the cab and translite art is better on BSD. Probably a toss-up on the playfield.

What kind of video mode does Shadow have? BSD's is actually one of the better ones.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think the cab and translite art is better on BSD. Probably a toss-up on the playfield.
What kind of video mode does Shadow have? BSD's is actually one of the better ones.

Yeah, right about the art. Dodging phurbas is the VM in TS...one of the few decent video modes and, yes, better than the BSD one.

#36 7 years ago

For all of Shadow's depth, isn't it just loops all day in a tournament? I thought I remember that from a tutorial video.

New question: Which one is a better tournament game?

#37 7 years ago

I own both. Both amazing games. But if I had to choose only one, I would go for TS. It's more an all around game: both are hard, but BSD is super hard and often frustrating. I can't understand how somebody can say that TS is harder then BSD! As usual, it depends on how the machines are set up; but with equal setups, BSD more brutual. For a small collection I'do go for TS.
Speaking of the general charm of the machines, BSD is one the very best. It's really a machine for adults, like very few others. TS theme is interesting and Aurich's backglass makes it serious enough, but BSD wins in this category: playing it at night it's almost scary!

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

For all of Shadow's depth, isn't it just loops all day in a tournament? I thought I remember that from a tutorial video.
New question: Which one is a better tournament game?

Well, the thing is that the loop shot has a what is probably a bug: The scoring on that shot is not capped, means it gets more and more valuable each time you hit it. Not sure if anyone ever managed to max out that score, but it seems to be infinite.

At least Bowen (who made the video about this strategy) has done a good job luring the other players into trying that strategy - and defeating them by miles if they take the bait. I've tried and tried and tried to get good scores out of the loop strategy but won't even come close to the scores I have when playing a "normal" game.

Still, due to the infinite scoring bug in a tournament setting BSD might be a better choice.

Then again, to me tournament play has very little to do with enjoyable pinball as usually the main goals of the game are ignored anyway.

#39 7 years ago

I also tried the Bowen strategy and failed. I have the current Pinside top score on TS but I can't play that strategy consistently. Actually, the inner loop shot with the ball at fast speed is a quite dangerous shot, so if played often you end up with a drain. My high scores are achieved with other strategies. Maybe it also depends on how to machine is set up. From the Bowen video, it looks quite easy the left orbit/inner orbit combo, but on mine is hard to nail it. You can surely nail it sometimes, but not over again as in the video; and if you keep trying the ball won't last long.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I also tried the Bowen strategy and failed. I have the current Pinside top score on TS but I can't play that strategy consistently. Actually, the inner loop shot with the ball at fast speed is a quite dangerous shot, so if played often you end up with a drain. My high scores are achieved with other strategies. Maybe it also depends on how to machine is set up. From the Bowen video, it looks quite easy the left orbit/inner orbit combo, but on mine is hard to nail it. You can surely nail it sometimes, but not over again as in the video; and if you keep trying the ball won't last long.

I think the main reason why everyone is failing with that strategy is that Bowen compared it to two other ridiculous strategies: Only going for Vengeance and only going for the Battlefield. Out of these three, the loop strategy scores highest (IF you can hit the shots consistently that is).
He's not taking playing modes into account at all, which is were the huge points are usually coming from.

#41 7 years ago

TS is amazing because to score high you have to actually play the game for its final goal: win the final battle. So you have to play all modes, finish the battlefield, and both multiballs. Doing so, you score big. And if you defeat Khan during the final battle (super hard!), it's 1 BILLION. Very balanced score.

Now the interesting part. Modes have to be finished within a certain time limit: the default timings are quite short, so if you want to attempt completing those modes you have to shoot very fast at certain ramps or loops. This is often risky, so it is often safe to avoid trying to finish each mode, and just keep the ball in play. But I found a a solution: I increased the values of each mode timing by quite a lot (45 to 60 seconds, depending on how many shot the mode requires). In this way to achieve high scores I have to go for every single game features, and this makes the machine incredibly good. Basically, having quite some time for each mode, you can try finishing them, without having to shoot like crazy and hoping to be lucky, but you have to do the exact opposite: trying to slow down a bit the ball speed (if you manage!) in order to play those shots in a more safe way (especially the left ramp). Doing so, it is still hard to finish each mode. My percentages are around 7/10% on each mode, so it's a big satisfaction when I manage to finish them. With the added feeling that you finished them just with your skills and not with the help of a big dose of luck.

I also made another change to the default settings: the amount of time a ball stays temporarily locked during multiballs. It's another thing it makes thing more exciting and "skilled" during multiballs. You have to go for the temporary locks (if you manage!) in order to reduce the number of balls in play, and then going for the jackpots. If the temporary lock time is too short (as by default), the multiball rely more on randomness. But in this way you really are controlling several balls at a time, while possibly scoring big. You can even try intentionally to go for the 3X jackpots, while with default settings you basically can't even think about it, if it happens its only by luck.

TS is a terrific game, and with proper settings becomes the best in the world!!

#42 7 years ago

I voted for The Shadow. More to do on this game and a little less frustrating. Both are awesome games, though. I'm glad I have them next to each other in my super awesome gameroom basement.
oh yeahoh yeah

#43 7 years ago
#44 7 years ago

I'm more of a fan of BSD...have owned both (BSD twice!). But what I found is that BSD is one of the most hated games for non-pinball people of all the games I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot. Shots too hard for non-pin people, drains quickly, not a lot for them to shoot at, they move on quickly with a frown. So, if you entertain people who aren't regular players, you might want to keep that in mind.
Both good games for price, I agree with what most are saying, I think you will enjoy either game. Good luck!

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I found a a solution: I increased the values of each mode timing by quite a lot.

Quoted from Luppin:

I also made another change to the default settings: the amount of time a ball stays temporarily locked during multiballs.

This is very interesting... I'm going to try it on mine. Thanks!

#46 7 years ago

BSD is great but gets repetitive real fast for me, TS is easily one of the best pinball machines ever made.

#47 7 years ago

To me, BSD. Wanted to like Shadow because of the top B list attention it gets but even in my large collection it didn't stick. I listed a bunch of games for "I'll let it go for this much" money and of course the one I didn't want to leave, BSD, is the only one that sold. Got 3500 for it but it was sweet. I miss it already. It's so much fun, quick, great call outs for fans of the movie which I am, and it's unforgiving in a good way meaning that you can go from a quick drain to an awesome ball that exposes just about every element of the game. If my collection was up to 30 Shadow would be in but that isn't happening since I have to downsize now anyway, hence the sale of BSD.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from PB-Guy:

what I found is that BSD is one of the most hated games for non-pinball people of all the games I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot. Shots too hard for non-pin people, drains quickly, not a lot for them to shoot at, they move on quickly with a frown.

I let go of my first BSD because it was too frustrating. once I got the thirty million stack I had to get one again.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I voted for The Shadow. More to do on this game and a little less frustrating. Both are awesome games, though. I'm glad I have them next to each other in my super awesome gameroom basement.

Your games look very nice - but a word of caution ->>> block the sunlight from hitting BSD!!!
Sunlight destroys Dracula - and it will surely fade the red on your nice BSD.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

They were repaired/ cleaned up and given to my grandson.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Boards
PinSound
Boards
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
6,895 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bs-dracula-or-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.